Official Recruiting Thread II

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
Jerry Meyer tweeted out last night saying he's hearing its between Texas A&M and Illinois with A&M leading.

And this morning Thomas is hinting heavily at LSU, who the f*** knows at this point. Well done Elijah, nobody knows who you're picking and it's great seeing these national guys grab at straws.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
Is he really doing THAT much? Or are fans, Illinois fans especially, just coming to their own conclusions? The whole process has played out like Lost. The show is what it is, the fans have created a million theories to go along with it.

He tweeted that he wanted to play football, hint hint. Clearly he loves having fun on twitter and I think too many people (in the know and not) read wayyy to much into what he says/tweets.

The fact that it hasn't leaked from any teams yet is also impressive, that leads me to believe that no one has actually been told yet.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 10:44 AM)
Man you guys drive yourselves crazy over this stuff.

We're desperate to get back to the top, landing ET is a huge step in that direction (most likely a top 5/10 class then). I don't think it happens, I still think Groce needs to go on a run and prove that he can get one of these players to the NBA before the 5 star players truly start eyeing Illinois as a legit destination. He's still selling a vision, not a reality, and that makes it a whole lot tougher.

That said, I think we have a legit shot at the sweet sixteen and a top 4 Big Ten finish and that will go a long way to landing these guys.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 10:44 AM)
Man you guys drive yourselves crazy over this stuff.

Yep. And I keep saying I won't get invested but I do. Illinois bball is easily my #1 sport. They were a good to great program from the time I was a kid up to the time I was out of college. I've seen the mountaintop twice and like a heroin junky I need more more more.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 11:12 AM)
Yep. And I keep saying I won't get invested but I do. Illinois bball is easily my #1 sport. They were a good to great program from the time I was a kid up to the time I was out of college. I've seen the mountaintop twice and like a heroin junky I need more more more.

Same man. Thomas can really bring back Illinois with the guys already committed.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 11:12 AM)

An Illinois bball national title is probably the one championship I want most out of all the teams I root for. But a long time ago, I decided to only worry about the kids who actually put on the Illini jersey and not a minute before that. (Probably around the time of the Eric Gordon stuff). I know how important recruiting is, but it just seems to better not spend the time & energy worrying about these decisions teenagers were making with all the BS going on around them. I can only imagine how much worse it is with social media nowadays.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 10:49 AM)
We're desperate to get back to the top, landing ET is a huge step in that direction (most likely a top 5/10 class then). I don't think it happens, I still think Groce needs to go on a run and prove that he can get one of these players to the NBA before the 5 star players truly start eyeing Illinois as a legit destination. He's still selling a vision, not a reality, and that makes it a whole lot tougher.

That said, I think we have a legit shot at the sweet sixteen and a top 4 Big Ten finish and that will go a long way to landing these guys.

Good point on selling vision for reality...not only for the program, but he's literally selling a vision when it comes to the renovated SFC too.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 11:50 AM)
An Illinois bball national title is probably the one championship I want most out of all the teams I root for. But a long time ago, I decided to only worry about the kids who actually put on the Illini jersey and not a minute before that. (Probably around the time of the Eric Gordon stuff). I know how important recruiting is, but it just seems to better not spend the time & energy worrying about these decisions teenagers were making with all the BS going on around them. I can only imagine how much worse it is with social media nowadays.

This is the one I want most now. I had the Hawks (2), I've had the Sox. Want them to win more titles obviously, but this is the elusive one now at the top of the list.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 12:31 PM)
Well that was fun for a bit. Still a great class for not winning anything yet.

Jerry Meyer

I'm now at a point where I will be shocked if it isn't Texas A&M for Elijah Thomas. http://t.co/j38XukWFL9

He still hasn't heard anything official, which is crazy that nobody actually knows yet. Pushed back to 2pm, I wonder if that means he's contacting coaches now or what.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 12:42 PM)
He still hasn't heard anything official, which is crazy that nobody actually knows yet. Pushed back to 2pm, I wonder if that means he's contacting coaches now or what.

I think that's the point though - the lack of hearing about anything. If it were going to be a surprise at this point, someone would know.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 12:30 PM)
This is the one I want most now.

Fun question to think about it. SIU basketball just isn't realistic so for me it'd actually be the Bulls. They've won 6 in my lifetime but I've never really got enjoy them that much. Before 05 it would have definitely been the Sox but I was old enough to take everything in with that one, haven't had that opportunity with the Bulls.

Looks like A&M. Nothing like playing in front of 5K a night and winning?

Wish we would have landed him, but being by far the furthest school probably hurt this one a lot, because it's not like we lost out to a better program. Well that and Gilder I guess.

Win games this year, make the tournament, win a game or two, and it's going to be easier to get guys. Good class overall (maybe Paul is still in the mix next year), arrow pointing up, now let's have a good season. I'm still good with swinging big in recruiting.

I don't love the whole "Illinois is the leader" thing twice, and don't believe it for a second. I think he had a bit too much fun with keeping the big school "in it" and trying to get as much interest as possible around the recruitment and announcement.

Well, except for Bragg, which I won't follow at all, this season's recruiting is done. A good class, not a great one, but got some much needed 4 star quality players. Assuming we get Paul back and he stays out of trouble, the arrow is still pointing up for Illinois. Now they have to get into the tournament and make a run so that recruits can also be sold on winning.

As for Thomas, enjoy playing with your buddies and the 5,000 basketball fans that show up to TAM games.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 01:47 PM)
Well, except for Bragg, which I won't follow at all, this season's recruiting is done. A good class, not a great one, but got some much needed 4 star quality players. Assuming we get Paul back and he stays out of trouble, the arrow is still pointing up for Illinois. Now they have to get into the tournament and make a run so that recruits can also be sold on winning.

As for Thomas, enjoy playing with your buddies and the 5,000 basketball fans that show up to TAM games.

Bragg is the true swing for the fences type recruit, however the longer it goes on the less his initial relationship means to him.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 01:47 PM)

Get your eyes off my paper :P

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 01:49 PM)
Get your eyes off my paper :P

Ha yeah that was eerily similar.

And Bragg we have no shot at. Not with Kentucky and Kansas calling. Relationships mean dick when you go visit those places and see the dorms and whatnot (oh, and the winning).