Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 01:54 PM)
Ha yeah that was eerily similar.

And Bragg we have no shot at. Not with Kentucky and Kansas calling. Relationships mean dick when you go visit those places and see the dorms and whatnot (oh, and the winning).

AND THE BAGS AND BAGS OF MONEY THEY PUT IN YOUR CAR WHEN YOU LEAVE

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, this kid is on his phone 24/7. He tweeted out for people to chill out because his announcement hasn't started yet.

Also, as much as I like the 24/7 sports site and recruiting insight, those guys are kinda dickish for spoiling a kid's announcement. Even if it is being leaked to the 3% of fans that follow twitter by the minute before an announcement is made.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 01:59 PM)
Lol, this kid is on his phone 24/7. He tweeted out for people to chill out because his announcement hasn't started yet.

Also, as much as I like the 24/7 sports site and recruiting insight, those guys are kinda dickish for spoiling a kid's announcement. Even if it is being leaked to the 3% of fans that follow twitter by the minute before an announcement is made.

I have zero issue with these announcements being "spoiled" before they happen, as I'm one of those guys that think these announcement events are ridiculous.

Isaiah Briscoe cutting list down to 3 this week. Looking at the list geographically, Mizzou sticks out like a sore thumb. I've always been confused how long we've been in this race, so if we stay in top 3 I will just enjoy the exposure of the top PG considering us.

Thomas said he wanted to win a National Championship his freshman year and wanted the #1 recruiting class......come on man.....

Under Billy Kennedy (A&M coach), they are 50-49 overall, 19-36 in conference, haven't finished higher than 9th in the SEC and no NCAA births. LOL

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
AND THE BAGS AND BAGS OF MONEY THEY PUT IN YOUR CAR WHEN YOU LEAVE

I'm sure this is TIC, but it's no coincidence Illinois has been in on a lot of these type of recruits lately (Cliff, ET, Bragg, Coleman, etc...).. They either almost got them (or got them). Stansbury was the "bag man" for ET, and it's pretty obvious something went down with Cliff. Illinois playing the game nowadays.

Edited by He_Gawn

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 02:54 PM)
I'm sure this is TIC, but it's no coincidence Illinois has been in on a lot of these type of recruits lately (Cliff, ET, Bragg, Coleman, etc...).. They either almost got them (or got them). Stansbury was the "bag man" for ET, and it's pretty obvious something went down with Cliff. Illinois playing the game nowadays.

Pretty strong accusations without anything to back it up. Now we're about making assumptions because it's so unfathomable that Illinois could be on lists of some top recruits? GMAFB.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)
How many 5 stars does Donovan get? I don't feel like he nails a ton but his 4 stars become seniors and then destroy the 5 star freshman.

Pretty many. He isn't Calipari or Coach K when it comes to landing that level of recruit but it seems like he gets a 5* recruit just about every year these days and has for a while.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 03:33 PM)
Pretty strong accusations without anything to back it up. Now we're about making assumptions because it's so unfathomable that Illinois could be on lists of some top recruits? GMAFB.

Hold on... can we go back up this thread to where only Illinois fans accuse other programs of cheating?

Likewise, of all the examples you are throwing out, Illinois has only landed one and has had a number of recruitments where they thought they led until late before ultimately losing out (Cliff, Evans, ET, even Snider with the switch to Louisville on signing day).

So, to echo an earlier statement, if Illinois is cheating, they (1) aren't doing it well; and (2) are, in fact, being outbid by other schools. Ergo, Illinois fans are, in fact, right to think they are only losing top talent because other schools are cheaters!

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 10:51 PM)
Pretty many. He isn't Calipari or Coach K when it comes to landing that level of recruit but it seems like he gets a 5* recruit just about every year these days and has for a while.

Right well he's won a lot. But his classes are usually 4 star heavy, much moreso than your power 3 but he's always competing with them. I don't think getting a bunch of top 20s in year 3 is as much of a necessity as just making sure your 4 stars get coached up and stay.

edit: he's won a lot meaning he will get 5 stars

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 05:33 PM)

Well isn't this ironic?

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
Isaiah Briscoe cutting list down to 3 this week. Looking at the list geographically, Mizzou sticks out like a sore thumb. I've always been confused how long we've been in this race, so if we stay in top 3 I will just enjoy the exposure of the top PG considering us.

It's believed his final three will be UK, UConn and St. John's

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
Hold on... can we go back up this thread to where only Illinois fans accuse other programs of cheating?

Likewise, of all the examples you are throwing out, Illinois has only landed one and has had a number of recruitments where they thought they led until late before ultimately losing out (Cliff, Evans, ET, even Snider with the switch to Louisville on signing day).

So, to echo an earlier statement, if Illinois is cheating, they (1) aren't doing it well; and (2) are, in fact, being outbid by other schools. Ergo, Illinois fans are, in fact, right to think they are only losing top talent because other schools are cheaters!

Isn't every program "cheating"? I am not a big college sports fan other than watching to see guys that might play professionally. My perspective is different because of that fact. If I were a fan of a college team, I'd want them to land the best players possible and not really care how they got there. I am pretty sure any consistently good program is doing something that breaks the so-called "rules".

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 08:38 AM)
Isn't every program "cheating"? I am not a big college sports fan other than watching to see guys that might play professionally. My perspective is different because of that fact. If I were a fan of a college team, I'd want them to land the best players possible and not really care how they got there. I am pretty sure any consistently good program is doing something that breaks the so-called "rules".

I must be naïve. I think like 5% of the time there's cheating going on. Maybe a higher percent on fringe-violations/shaddy stuff, like giving an AAU coach or uncle a job in a program. But straight up cash and gifts? No way. Too much social media coverage and the penalties are too stiff. If I were a coach there's no way in hell I'm chancing losing millions in salary on an 18 year old keeping something like money secret.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 09:30 AM)
I must be naïve. I think like 5% of the time there's cheating going on. Maybe a higher percent on fringe-violations/shaddy stuff, like giving an AAU coach or uncle a job in a program. But straight up cash and gifts? No way. Too much social media coverage and the penalties are too stiff. If I were a coach there's no way in hell I'm chancing losing millions in salary on an 18 year old keeping something like money secret.

I don't think coaches are involved at all anymore, or in an extremely limited basis. I do however think handlers and boosters get dirty all the time, and that may or may not be encouraged by the head coach.

I'm sure most coaches don't get in the way of that as long as they can trust the booster to do it the right way and not get caught.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 09:30 AM)

You are naive when it comes to top prospects. It is way higher than that.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 09:44 AM)
I don't think coaches are involved at all anymore, or in an extremely limited basis. I do however think handlers and boosters get dirty all the time, and that may or may not be encouraged by the head coach.

I'm sure most coaches don't get in the way of that as long as they can trust the booster to do it the right way and not get caught.

But not getting caught is too difficult. Ok recruit, this booster is going to give you 50k. How does that stay hidden? Back in the day people would say, oh hey, that player drives a pretty fancy car for being a student. But that stuff can't happen anymore with the social media presence these guys have. They're too big on campus for that stuff to be kept under the rug.

I can see shenanigans in the various summer league circuits. I can see a boosters giving money to a family member and that potentially staying quiet, but in very limited situations. But the crap about Anthony Davis and his family getting 200k? I don't buy it. Someone would have seen a weird purchase at some point and then it gets tweeted or emailed or whatever and a fan base will go crazy. Look at how fan bases follow recruiting, and you really think that stuff will go unnoticed?

Also, the coach has to be involved. How else is the recruit going to (1) meet the booster, (2) have the "donation" be a part of the recruiting pitch? If they're not involved it's a situation where they know something is going down and they actively choose not to be a part of it but also not stop it, which is still cheating. Plausible deniability isn't a defense.