Fields' HR

knightni

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have zero major league starting OFers who should be considered for next season -- perhaps Dye, but that's about it (this includes Sweeney and his .415 slugging percentage). Unless some other team still really likes Crede -- back surgery and all -- the best plan of attack might be giving Crede third and one of the corner spots to Fields. I'm not suggesting this should be a long-term plan, but it seems too unrealistic for the Sox to add two (much less three) outfielders from outside the organization.

I haven't made it a secret that I really think Crede should flat out be non-tendered this winter; however, if Josh can show he can play an adequate LF, there's no reason not to do so and give Crede a shot at retaining his job at 3B. Lord knows it would save the pitching staff a few hits throughout the year, and the Sox would be a better offensive team even if Crede can put up a .750 OPS...which is quite sad, really.

Given, KW said Josh has All-Star potential for a reason. I don't recall him ever saying that about BA, but I do about Chris Young. I don't have links, just really memory recollections.

Fields with his 2 hits last night has the average up to .241, and dumping Crede is the subject of the day. For as bad as Crede supposedly was before last season, if he batting more than 50 times his worst season was .239 with 21 homers and GG quality defense.

Non tender Joe Crede? Ridiculous. These White Sox "prospects" are a lot like back up quarterbacks. So many people love them until they really have to count on them. When I heard Hawk say the Sox really have something special in Andy Gonzalez yesterday, I questioned why Duane Shaffer got the pink slip.

WOW

Edited by Dick Allen

Fields has shown he can play in the majors--both in the field and hitting wise. The question for 2008 is where will he play with Crede at 3B [it would be inexcusable for the sox to non-tender Joe, or trade him now for less than they would get for the draft picks if he leaves as a free agent, as he is very valuable and should be able to put up numbers near his 2006 season and still play gold glove caliber defense].

With the sox likely to work out a deal with Dye, Fields should be given a shot in LF. With Owens likely being a 4th OFer [and Fields and Richar already in the lineup] an experienced CFer who can hit in the leadoff spot should be acquired for 2008. Or at minimum, a stellar defensive CFer should be acquired if the sox can get a SS who can hit in the leadoff spot. My preference would be for the sox to get a SS and a CFer who can both hit leadoff in case one goes down.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 11:58 AM)
Fields with his 2 hits last night has the average up to .241, and dumping Crede is the subject of the day. For as bad as Crede supposedly was before last season, if he batting more than 50 times his worst season was .239 with 21 homers and GG quality defense.

Non tender Joe Crede? Ridiculous. These White Sox "prospects" are a lot like back up quarterbacks. So many people love them until they really have to count on them. When I heard Hawk say the Sox really have something special in Andy Gonzalez yesterday, I questioned why Duane Shaffer got the pink slip.

WOW

It'll all depend on his back... If healthy, I'm sure he'll begin the ST to prove it with the Sox, probably leading to a trade. I didn't hear him say it, but "something special" is subjective. I though of Ozuna as a "very good" utility player, and I envision AG taking on that role. That could be "something special"...

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 07:27 AM)
Fields has shown he can play in the majors--both in the field and hitting wise. The question for 2008 is where will he play with Crede at 3B [it would be inexcusable for the sox to non-tender Joe, or trade him now for less than they would get for the draft picks if he leaves as a free agent, as he is very valuable and should be able to put up numbers near his 2006 season and still play gold glove caliber defense].

With the sox likely to work out a deal with Dye, Fields should be given a shot in LF. With Owens likely being a 4th OFer [and Fields and Richar already in the lineup] an experienced CFer who can hit in the leadoff spot should be acquired for 2008. Or at minimum, a stellar defensive CFer should be acquired if the sox can get a SS who can hit in the leadoff spot. My preference would be for the sox to get a SS and a CFer who can both hit leadoff in case one goes down.

That's easier said than done. How many leadoff CF or SS are there in the major leagues, and are they realistically available? Fields is going to have to cut down on his strikeouts. If he doesn't, he's Ron Kittle II.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 04:58 AM)

Non tender Joe Crede? Ridiculous. These White Sox "prospects" are a lot like back up quarterbacks. So many people love them until they really have to count on them.

So, the Sox should give Crede $5 million next year while their bullpen is in shambles and they have holes to fill at SS, RF, CF, and LF? Oh, and we have no idea how Joe's back will respond to the surgery he just had. That doesn't sound like a good strategy to me.

I'd love to have Joe around for another year with Fields in LF, but I'm not sure that the Sox are going to have a choice.

Edited by WCSox

They will monitor Crede's rehab very closely and with Fields showing he can be a major leaguer, they have a dilemna. Crede's value is at an all time low on the trade market. Back surgery, one year away from free agency, Boras client. Who wants him? Boras' goal is to get these guys to FA.

So the Sox have to hope for the best on several levels. First, Crede gets healthy and shows he can play in spring training. Two, someone else needs a 3B and will give you something good for Crede.

I suspect they will let this play out in spring. If Crede is healthy and nothing materializes in the trade market, there is nothing wrong with Fields playing in AAA for a couple of months.

They are saying they want a competitive team next year, not a rebuild. This suggests established players, it does not suggest taking a rookie, changing his position, and relying on him for a drive to win the division. I don't see it. If Fields is starting in 2008, it will be at 3B.

The other thought (unpopular with fans) is you keep him as a backup 3B, backup DH, pinch hitter, etc. To me though, if he's got an option left which I believe he does, another few months in AAA won't hurt him, he still has things to learn.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 12:30 AM)
That's easier said than done. How many leadoff CF or SS are there in the major leagues, and are they realistically available? Fields is going to have to cut down on his strikeouts. If he doesn't, he's Ron Kittle II.

Fields is striking out at a rate of better than 1 out of every 3 AB's ATM in his time in the majors this season.

So he'll certainly have to improve that, but I think everyone can see that the talent is there for him to become a very good player for this team.

Fields still looks pretty bad at bat more often than not, but he has talent, which experience will bring out. He is not a better 3Bman than Joe Crede and we know Joe can hit and field. Josh Fields should be in LF and Crede at 3B. Fields would be a good person at 3B when Joe is being rested or moves made in the late innings. We have given up some talented ball players in recent years that our own system developed and it's time to keep our own and build a championship team.

CF ?

LF Fields

DH Thome

IB Konedrko

RF Dye

3b Crede

C Pierzynski

2b ?

SS ?

The jury is still out on at least three positions for next year

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 02:30 PM)

Are you saying that Fields doesn't have a spot on the sox in 2008? I agree, it's too early to be writing Fields' name down on the All Star ballot. Yet the sox should make room for both Crede and Josh next yr at least. And if Fields becomes Kittle II in 2008, the sox may have to lock up Crede to a deal

As far as a leadoff hitter goes, they can only come from a few spots. Internally, Owens is the most major league ready. Yet at best you'd probably be looking at hitting him there vs RHP only. Richar is a few years away probably from hitting near the top of the order.

Acquiring a leadoff hitter will be hard to do. Someone who plays SS is unlikely, as there are few quality guys available for the right price. More options would come from the OF. But the sox should "overpay" for the right guy--someone young, with speed, and can hit for avg, and get on base. It may mean dealing Garland.

For instance, one guy the sox should look at is Baldelli. Not that the Sox should be counting on him to stay healthy. They should acquire him as a plan B or C. He could platoon with Owens in CF. Baldelli would likely only cost money, as the DRays can expect few teams to offer decent talent for him.

Who the sox should get for plan A? Good question.

Are you saying that Fields doesn't have a spot on the sox in 2008? I agree, it's too early to be writing Fields' name down on the All Star ballot. Yet the sox should make room for both Crede and Josh next yr at least. And if Fields becomes Kittle II in 2008, the sox may have to lock up Crede to a deal

As far as a leadoff hitter goes, they can only come from a few spots. Internally, Owens is the most major league ready. Yet at best you'd probably be looking at hitting him there vs RHP only. Richar is a few years away probably from hitting near the top of the order.

Acquiring a leadoff hitter will be hard to do. Someone who plays SS is unlikely, as there are few quality guys available for the right price. More options would come from the OF. But the sox should "overpay" for the right guy--someone young, with speed, and can hit for avg, and get on base. It may mean dealing Garland.

For instance, one guy the sox should look at is Baldelli. Not that the Sox should be counting on him to stay healthy. They should acquire him as a plan B or C. He could platoon with Owens in CF. Baldelli would likely only cost money, as the DRays can expect few teams to offer decent talent for him.

Who the sox should get for plan A? Good question.

Hey good post beck. I tend to agree, the Sox need to target a potential leadoff guy and make it happen. Williams and Hahn can't seem to sync up with Tampa mgmt. though. Not sure why, Tampa has been making trades.

Personally I would like to see better players than Owens. Jerry is a decent player but I don't see winning a championship with him as a key piece. Philly has several CF prospects, maybe they can pry one from there. Also I agree on the SS situation, I hope they aren't backed into a corner and forced to bring back Uribe. They need more speed, on base skills, and most of all consistency.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 06:58 AM)

WOW

That's been a subject for the past couple of seasons...

QUOTE(WCSox @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 09:40 AM)
So, the Sox should give Crede $5 million next year while their bullpen is in shambles and they have holes to fill at SS, RF, CF, and LF? Oh, and we have no idea how Joe's back will respond to the surgery he just had. That doesn't sound like a good strategy to me.

I'd love to have Joe around for another year with Fields in LF, but I'm not sure that the Sox are going to have a choice.

If they don't they are fools. I can't wait to see all the guys who complain about the White Sox swinging for the fences all the time and not worrying about getting on base who think Fields is an All Star, b**** and moan about him next season. Crede's worst average as a regular player, not counting this season is .239 and as BearSox said this isn't the first time there wasn't posts on this board saying he must go. Fields is hitting .241 and is on pace to set a world record striking out if he played a full season. If you don't like Crede, you have to hate Fields. If anything Fields should get some time at 2B.

Field is also on pace to walk quite a bit more than crede, so you don't have to hate him necessarily, if your gripe is with OBP. Comparing numbers at this point is kind stupid if you ask me. People are happy that he has shown he can be a major leaguer in a possible hole, they aren't boasting about his numbers.

QUOTE(max power @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 01:47 PM)
Field is also on pace to walk quite a bit more than crede, so you don't have to hate him necessarily, if your gripe is with OBP. Comparing numbers at this point is kind stupid if you ask me. People are happy that he has shown he can be a major leaguer in a possible hole, they aren't boasting about his numbers.

They make him out to be an All Star. They are saying a guy who before his back started bothering him in 2006 hit 30 homers and was hitting over .300 needs to be tossed away, because Josh Fields homers almost as often. BTW Fields OBP is only about .010 higher than Brian Anderson's last year. Non tendering Crede is a ridiculous thought. Believe me, they are boasting about his homeruns, because offensively that's basically all he provides now. Of course any one else swinging for the fences they have problems with. Fields has already fanned more than Crede did in 2006.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 01:51 PM)
They make him out to be an All Star. They are saying a guy who before his back started bothering him in 2006 hit 30 homers and was hitting over .300 needs to be tossed away, because Josh Fields homers almost as often.

I believe 'they' said all star potential. A future all star and I agree with that. Crede may also be a future all star. Its tough to say for certain he could repeat 2006, though. For some reason most people think he can, and at the same time they think that aaron rowand is a perennial .270 hitter who lucked out one year(now two :huh: ).

Believe me, they are boasting about his homeruns, because offensively that's basically all he provides now. Of course any one else swinging for the fences they have problems with. Fields has already fanned more than Crede did in 2006.

Comparing crede's best year to josh's first year doesn't really make much sense. Yes he Ks a lot. He needs to play more and in the majors to improve that.

BTW Fields OBP is only about .010 higher than Brian Anderson's last year.

and joe's career OBP is only .005 points higher than that.

Non tendering Crede is a ridiculous thought.

I agree, it doesn't make much sense.

Edited by max power

QUOTE(max power @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 12:09 PM)
I agree, it doesn't make much sense.

Unfortunately, by not listening to the team's doctors last offseason, Joe put the team into a situation where that has to be an option. The team has to monitor his rehab closely, and if there's any possibility of a setback of any sort, then you have to seriously consider dumping him, because the team has to decide by about 3 weeks into December whether or not they want to spend $5 million + on him starting in April. It's not an easy situation to be in, and if anything goes wrong, then that money may well be spent elsewhere.

Hopefully Joe's rehab goes well through this winter and he can come back strong next year, thus sticking Josh in the OF until Joe leaves or is traded, but if there's a setback of any sort, I don't know how you could tender him a contract.

Since when is striking out the worst thing that a player ever did? With a little more seasoning Josh will be a walk machine, and his OBP will show that. And showing Crede's worst year as something that wasnt that bad is really showing how much you ignore certain numbers. How bout his paltry .717 OPS that year? Basically Fields has shown that he can produce at the same rate right now in his first season for ALOT less money. In july Fields improved his OBP, SLG BA and his walk rate. Crede is a slow, injured, soon to be expensive player. We need his salary to pick up a piece that we are really missing, at least before his back goes out again and that only option IS non-tendering him.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 11:10 AM)
CF Aaron Rowand

LF Fields

DH Thome

IB Konedrko

RF Dye

3b Crede

C Pierzynski

2b Orlando Hudson

SS Alex Rodriguez

The jury is still out on at least three positions for next year