Frank Thomas

Hawkfan

QUOTE(Whitewashed in '05 @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 05:22 PM)
That's funny because you're just in college and yet you talk about everyone like they're idiots.

That shouldn't have anything to do with people being idiots. I think plenty of people are idiots, and I'm a sophomore in college. Does that mean I'm wrong about everyone that I think is an idiot?

(Oh, and Hawk is an idiot, although I do enjoy listening to him occasionally since he does make the game a bit more enjoyable with his homer style; on the other hand, its really, really annoying a lot of the other time)

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 10:58 PM)
That shouldn't have anything to do with people being idiots. I think plenty of people are idiots, and I'm a sophomore in college. Does that mean I'm wrong about everyone that I think is an idiot?

Get off my lawn!

It's funny.

Some rich baseball players retire and just live off their current millions and future pension.

Others decide to coach and/or broadcast.

I wonder what makes some ballplayers just golf the rest of their lives and live off the cashola.

And what makes others keep working.

Does it have to do with ego? Laziness? Desire to acquire even more money?

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 11:24 PM)
It's funny.

Some rich baseball players retire and just live off their current millions and future pension.

I wonder what makes some ballplayers just golf the rest of their lives and live off the cashola.

Some people just need to keep busy. Lots of people think it would great to not have to work every day, but not having anything to do can get real old real fast.

QUOTE(rpmahr @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 10:40 PM)
i think it would be cool to get paid six figures to talk about the sport you love forever

I think it'd be cool to get paid six figures to do anything with the sport that you love. Thats part of why I'm pursuing a career in sports :P

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 01:15 PM)
I thought he did OK for a first time out, but he definitely needs work. Which should be expected. Frank is no idiot either, and I think he'll improve.

Boy did he look bizarre in that suit, though. Like a well-decorated brick wall with Frank's head on top.

:lol:

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 05:44 PM)
I can appreciate a homer announcer but not Hawk, with his "Crede > A-Rah" and "Stretch!" and "DADGUMMIT!" which is frankly the worst call I've ever heard from an announcer.

Every single word that flops out of Ron Santo's mouth is 100 times worse than the worst call Hawk's ever made.

Santo is beyond atrocious. Even calling him an embarrassment doesn't really convey just how bad he is. Pat Hughes deserves combat pay for dealing with that imbecile.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 11:06 AM)
Every single word that flops out of Ron Santo's mouth is 100 times worse than the worst call Hawk's ever made.

Santo is beyond atrocious. Even calling him an embarrassment doesn't really convey just how bad he is. Pat Hughes deserves combat pay for dealing with that imbecile.

OHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOO

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 10:24 PM)
It's funny.

Might be as simple as they love the game and just wish to be around it still. :huh

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 11:06 AM)

No kidding. Do Cub fans actually enjoy listening to him? He is unbearable.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 11:50 AM)
No kidding. Do Cub fans actually enjoy listening to him? He is unbearable.

The ones I know love him. They know he is a raging idiot, but it is his obsenely obnoxious blind love that they love about him. I do think that is the one thing all Cub fans share though, a massive love for the people who are over-the-top in love with their club. How else can you explain Santo and Ronnie Woo Woo?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 3, 2007 -> 06:00 PM)
I live in a second floor apartment. My best friend lives in the first floor, and we watch it there. And yes, I think Hawk is worse than all those others I've heard.

You are a baseball fan more than a Sox fan. To a Sox fan Hawk is tolerable at worse. To baseball fans in general he is a homer. Hawk is pretty knowledgable about the game and is entertaining in general a good side kid that can reel him in would do wonders, same thing with Farmer.

On an other note, I hope TBS/Time Warner try and take a run at ESPN in sports programming. Everything they do is better. It is good to finally hear unbiased somewhat neutral coverage of sports. Also their graphics kick-ass. TBS/TNT basketball coverage makes it almost watchable.

I think a general not over the top programming (Seinfeld, Simpsons, Bond movies late at night, sports coverage, with some History Channel/Discovery channel science/nature stuff) would be a great idea. I wish I could pull this off.

My ideal eveneing

6-7 Planet Earth in HD

7-7:30 Seinfeld

7:30-10:00 Baseball game

10:00-11:00 Engineering Disasters XIII

11:00-11:30 Simpsons

11:30-1:00 Live and Let Die

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 12:22 PM)
You are a baseball fan more than a Sox fan. To a Sox fan Hawk is tolerable at worse. To baseball fans in general he is a homer. Hawk is pretty knowledgable about the game and is entertaining in general a good side kid that can reel him in would do wonders, same thing with Farmer.

On an other note, I hope TBS/Time Warner try and take a run at ESPN in sports programming. Everything they do is better. It is good to finally hear unbiased somewhat neutral coverage of sports. Also their graphics kick-ass. TBS/TNT basketball coverage makes it almost watchable.

I think a general not over the top programming (Seinfeld, Simpsons, Bond movies late at night, sports coverage, with some History Channel/Discovery channel science/nature stuff) would be a great idea. I wish I could pull this off.

My ideal eveneing

6-7 Planet Earth in HD

7-7:30 Seinfeld

7:30-10:00 Baseball game

10:00-11:00 Engineering Disasters XIII

11:00-11:30 Simpsons

11:30-1:00 Live and Let Die

re: bold, I agree wholeheartedly.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)
re: bold, I agree wholeheartedly.

I love their NBA coverage. Their baseball stuff needs a little time to get right but I feel they will be a much better alternative to the East Coast Sports Network.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 02:38 PM)
Stupid question but did Frank retire? Or is this broadcasting thing a temporary gig for now?

Frank hasn't retired. Ted Turner wanted a player with American League experience and in knowledge. Frank Thomas is from Atlanta and he was exactly who they were looking for. It's temporary kind of like Mike Piazza commented during the 05 playoffs.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 12:06 PM)

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 12:41 PM)
OHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOO

http://www.northtonorth.com/pages/soundclips/santoohno.mp3