Are the Sox too Cheap to Win Bidding Wars?

elrockinMT

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 23, 2007 -> 04:59 PM)
He was crying before the Bears drafted McNown that he had to be the one they drafted. A couple years later he's wondering how anyone could be stupid enough to have drafted him.

Haha, I remember that. Mariotti is such an idiot, I don't even bother to read his columns any more.

Jay Moronatti is originally from Detroit - he doesn't give two sh!ts about any Chicago teams. He makes a living insulting people and stirring up fans' anger by stirring the pot. That's his whole "schtick," and sadly he makes a living by being a troublemaking troll. 99% of his articles aren't fit to line a filthy cat's litter box.

Edited by Pastime

Reflecting on his article and reading the responses from Soxtalk causes me to arrive at this conclussion: Even though I sometimes question KW's moves and his ability to get a good read on prospects I don't think $18M is warranted for Hunter & I also think A-Rod is not worth $27M, but they got it. Texas created the monster of big spending when they paid A-Rod the original contract. What I believe is we will see the Angels joining the Yankees as the high rollers of baseball. Now whether that translates into a pennant we will have to wait and see. Two of the best teasm money can buy. I just hope that our decisions on trades and FA signings doesn't get pushed/made by these outrageous money contracts. Aaron Rowand at $12.5M maybe for 4 or 5 years.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Nov 23, 2007 -> 11:47 AM)
There is an article in the Sun-Times that I saw on the on-line version where Jay Marioti claims that the Sox are too cheap to engage in a true effort to acquire the high priced FA's such as Torii Hunter plus their efforts are amatueristic at best. He questions the Garland trade and says that Reinsdorf will never really spend the money for impact players regrdless of Kenny's bluster. He also doesn't think the Sox will make a serious effort to get Rowand back and that Aaron will end up with the Dodgers. We will probably trade for Crisp because he is cheaper. The 2005 championship is seen as an anomaly at best and we won't have the guns to win or compete. I know he doesn't much like Ozzie, KW or Reinsdorf, but I also wonder about some moves that have been made. Brings up past efforts/years in my mind and I wonder what others think?

If the Sox had out bid the Angels for Hunter and Hunter hit .210 you can bet Moronoitti would be all over the Sox for being so stupid as to invest all that money in an aging player.

Bob

QUOTE(iamshack @ Nov 23, 2007 -> 09:57 AM)
Agreed. Mariotti is generally a good writer, however, I just don't believe he is a very good columnist in regards to Chicago sports. He has a fundamental misunderstanding about the baseball industry as a whole; while the industry is flush with money, it is not so flush that all teams can operate with the reactionary philosophy he seems to personally hold. Couple that with his ridiculous level of bias against the White Sox as an organization, and his articles are simply vindictive and repetitive rants. I am shocked he continues to be allowed to even cover the White Sox, given how his attitude concerning the current regime eliminates all possibilities of him commenting responsibly or accurately on their state of affairs.

In a perfect world " commenting responsibly or accurately " works. But considering there is a hell of a lot of Cub fans and even Sox fans who consider ownership to be tight fisted Mariotti's tabloid reporting will always be acceptable. A lot of fans are perfectly happy reading vindictive reporting probably just as I would be if there was someone always trashing the Cubs. Since he's a columnist and not really a reporter it's his opinion we get not accuracy.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Nov 23, 2007 -> 02:22 PM)
How many multi-million payrolls has Marriotti managed?

How many contracts has he negotiated?

How many payrolls has he met?

It's easy to spend another man's money and talk about $90 million as if it's $90.

That pretty much sums up a couple thousand posters here :lol: Sports would die if only those that did, could talk and predict. :D

I think Jay is off base here. If published accounts are true, the Sox were in the #2 position and slightly ahead of all the known suitors. Even the Yankees do not get every player they want.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 24, 2007 -> 02:38 PM)
The best Mariotti articles are the ones that are exactly what Sox fans are saying, then they scream that Mariotti is wrong. :lol: We also look for articles we agree with and call those writers the most astute around.

I always think it's fun with Mariotti articles to go through the records of him. A non-trivial percentage of the time, you can find 2 completely opposed articles on the same issue a few months apart. He just goes after whichever side makes him look correct at the time.

As much as I despise Mariotti, he's kind of right. The Sox, like Chicago teams in general *COUGH*BEARS*COUGH*, are cheap (Cubs excluded, lol). At least fairly. The Sox are really never that team to dish out a lot of money for a big star. Not like this is anything people don't know.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 06:13 PM)
As much as I despise Mariotti, he's kind of right. The Sox, like Chicago teams in general *COUGH*BEARS*COUGH*, are cheap (Cubs excluded, lol). At least fairly. The Sox are really never that team to dish out a lot of money for a big star. Not like this is anything people don't know.

Most teams, outside of the Yankees, Mets, Dodgers, Angels and Red Sox could be considered "cheap." I think it's an unfair assessment. But it's from Mariotti, so I'm not surprised. And don't give me that "Chicago is the third largest market" crap. Until the Sox overtake the Cubs in popularity like it was in the 70's and early 80's, they will have to be more creative. That being said, they have some good talent at bargain prices.

The problem is, you can't have it both ways...you can't b**** that the Sox aren't spending money and then b**** when they do spend money and the player doesn't live up to his potential.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 24, 2007 -> 04:48 PM)
I always think it's fun with Mariotti articles to go through the records of him. A non-trivial percentage of the time, you can find 2 completely opposed articles on the same issue a few months apart. He just goes after whichever side makes him look correct at the time.

Look at the Garland and Cabrera threads, some poster went through that in a matter of hours :D

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 24, 2007 -> 04:48 PM)

Exactly. So when he writes a follow up article, he's always going to be right.

I stopped reading that Moron about 8-10 years ago when he blamed Einhron for the fact that the Final Four was played in front of a big crowd instead of a regualr b-bal size crowd. Of course from that he found a way to rip JR and the Sox.

Bob

QUOTE(infohawk @ Nov 23, 2007 -> 06:00 PM)
Bottom line -- if the Sox won the World Series in 7 games, Mariotti would argue that a failure to sweep shows just how short-sighted Reinsdorf and Williams were. The man is a disingenuous and bitter shock-jock sportswriter. His act was tired about five years ago.

:notworthy

If people would stop reading that "writer's" material, he would have been out of this town yrs ago.