The 2007 Album Recommendation Thread

Rex Kickass

A few months ago, I realized I couldn't come up with a top five list for the year yet. Usually it's because I can't find five albums I really like that year. This year, it's because I don't think I can narrow it down. So what albums do you just absolutely love?

Albums that came out in 2007 that I think are definitely worth checking out.

1. Miss Platnum - Chefa

Romania meets Germany meets Missy Elliott. Big girls singing about Mercedes-Benz and demanding to "Give Me The Food" make this one of my favorite hip-hop/R&B albums to come out this year, despite (or because of) its obvious cheese factor.

2. Britney Spears - Blackout

This album is a serious jam, and just nasty and full of hotness. Possibly because she seemingly had very little to do with the album. The album is a hot mess, but tracks like "Get Naked (I Got A Plan)" and "Piece of Me" are pure ProTools genius.

3. M.I.A. - Kala

A D.I.Y. dance album that's alternately goofy, innovative and political at the same time. "Paper Planes" has one of the best hooks I've had in a long time, using sound effects for lyrics.

4. Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - Living With The Living

Despite some heavy handed politics that ruins a few tracks like "Bomb. Repeat. Bomb.," there are few better representations of honest straight ahead story telling rock music, and often times Ted Leo is strongest when singing about love, like "Me and You and a Bottle of Bucky". Even the bonus EP hits hard, fast and well.

5. Yoko Ono - Yes, I'm A Witch

You're 73, and you're still so important that the Flaming Lips, Peaches and The Polyphonic Spree wants to re-record your music with you at lead vocals. Enough said.

6. The Gay Blades - Ghosts

Local NYC/NJ two piece rock band puts together a first record with incredibly sophisticated songwriting covering just about every good thing about every element in music using just guitars and drums. Picture the White Stripes with talent, sung by a hipster channeling Meatloaf.

7. Tegan & Sara - The Con

Unlike T.a.T.u., these girls are real lesbians. They're sisters too. It really doesn't matter much when it comes to their music. But it's simple and incredibly catchy and really great. "Back In Your Head" and "Soil, Soil" really stand out in this acoustically themed record.

8. Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - 100 Days, 100 Nights

The album from the band that played for Amy Winehouse. The lead singer used to be a prison guard at Rikers Island prison in New York. Not only does it sound like the best album of 1966, it sounds like the best record of 2007. Every inch of this classic soul sound blows me away. Album of the year.

9. Jens Lekman - Night Falls Over Kortedala

I'm a sucker for Scandinavians. Especially ones who sound like Jonathan Richman. Really strong storyteller with a great sense of humor, like being a "fake boyfriend" to a female friend in "A Postcard to Nina."

10. Beirut - The Flying Club Cup

A kid in his early 20s channels the atmosphere of Paris in the turn of the century. The turn of the 20th century. So impressive.

11. Bran Van 3000 - Rosee

Screw the Arcade Fire, the best music from Montreal comes from the Bran Van 3000 collective. Every album is like a mix tape, any genre that sticks. Amazing samples, and an album easy to get lost into. (Currently only available in Canada)

Rex, I have loved Bran Van 3000 since Glee, thanks for reminding me that they are still producing music.

My one and only suggestion will be First Wave Hello "The Lord & Its Penguin"

I just got into these guys, I think this album came out early 2007-late 2006

Almost, The - Southern Weather

Angels & Airwaves - I-Empire

Circa Survive - On Letting Go

Coheed & Cambria - No World For Tomorrow

Four Year Strong - Rise Or Die Trying

House Of Fools - Live And Learn

Jimmy Eat World - Chase This Light

Maroon 5 - It Won't Be Soon Before Long

Paramore - Riot!

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 01:05 PM)
I've had the new Queens of the Stone Age in my car's CD player (6-disc) since it came out in June.

I was disappointed by Wilco's, Ryan Adam's, and the Foo Fighter's releases this year.

Agreed. Echoes, Silence, Patience, Grace was decent, but I think their earlier stuff was better.

QUOTE(farmteam @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 10:54 PM)
Agreed. Echoes, Silence, Patience, Grace was decent, but I think their earlier stuff was better.

Its one that you definately have to listen to multiple times before you really feel its vibe, but personally I REALLY like it. "Let It Die" was a personal favorite right away, I love the change in tone as the song progresses.

You also have to remember, or if you didn't know, E,S,P & G was written all in 1 week, the week following Dave Grohl's divorce. You can definately sense that in the lyrics when you listen to it a few times through.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 12:02 AM)
3. M.I.A. - Kala

A D.I.Y. dance album that's alternately goofy, innovative and political at the same time. "Paper Planes" has one of the best hooks I've had in a long time, using sound effects for lyrics.

Probably my favorite album of the year. Saw her at the Vic last week and she put on a great show!

The Go! Team - Proof of Youth is another one that I enjoyed alot this year. I've never heard their first album but supposedly it's better than this one so I'll have to check that out as well.

Elliott Smith - New Moon has a few great tracks but also a few that I can understand why they didn't make it onto any of his proper albums.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 09:47 PM)
The National - Boxer

Game ova.

can't argue there

here's my top 10 list.

1. Boxer-The National

2. In Rainbows-Radiohead

3. Neon Bible-The Arcade Fire

4. Spirit If…-Broken Social Scene Presents Kevin Drew

5. The Stage Names-Okkervil River

6. Strawberry Jam-Animal Collective

7. Love is Simple-Akron/Family

8. Ash Wednesday-Elvis Perkins

9. Random Spirit Lover-Sunset Rubdown

10. Stars of the Lid and the Refinement of the Decline-Stars of the Lid

8. Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - 100 Days, 100 Nights

The album from the band that played for Amy Winehouse. The lead singer used to be a prison guard at Rikers Island prison in New York. Not only does it sound like the best album of 1966, it sounds like the best record of 2007. Every inch of this classic soul sound blows me away. Album of the year.

I mentioned these guys a while back in this thread...... and everyone laughed. Actually, it was in the music thread. :crying :crying :lol:

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 11:43 PM)
can't argue there

here's my top 10 list.

1. Boxer-The National

2. In Rainbows-Radiohead

3. Neon Bible-The Arcade Fire

4. Spirit If…-Broken Social Scene Presents Kevin Drew

5. The Stage Names-Okkervil River

6. Strawberry Jam-Animal Collective

7. Love is Simple-Akron/Family

8. Ash Wednesday-Elvis Perkins

9. Random Spirit Lover-Sunset Rubdown

10. Stars of the Lid and the Refinement of the Decline-Stars of the Lid

How'd I forget that one?! Another great album.

QUOTE(The Bones @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 12:25 AM)
Probably my favorite album of the year. Saw her at the Vic last week and she put on a great show!

The Go! Team - Proof of Youth is another one that I enjoyed alot this year. I've never heard their first album but supposedly it's better than this one so I'll have to check that out as well.

I heard that album for the first time last night driving home from NYC. I see the appeal. I need to listen to it a bit more, but my top 11 could quickly add a 12th I think.

because before it even came out everyone knew it was going to be the best ambient album of the decade, and then we heard it, and yeah, it was. But then we realized it was an ambient album, which is about as listenable as bird calls on cd. When do you actually turn it on and listen to it? I mean people had no idea what to rate it, because on one hand most knew it was a great accomplishment for it's field, but also that it is background music, and at it's best will never be anything defining, will not have that sentimental moment where you hear the song and it flashes you back. Rarely do I hear 10 minute drone and it takes me back to my college glory days. That's why you see it getting such high review marks, but it won't make many people's top albums of the year, unless they are wankers that laughed when they saw the song title dopamine clouds over craven cottage. And if they do rank it #1 I'm going to force them to sit down and listen to the whole album with nothing else going on and video tape them as they wait for some sort of high on that album where you can go, oh yeah. So McBride and Adam whatever...props to you. You made a great ambient album that I'll never listen to unless I'm making a soundtrack or falling asleep. Or a soundtrack TO falling asleep.

so that's why I can't believe it, essentially.

QUOTE(bmags @ Dec 9, 2007 -> 10:26 PM)
because before it even came out everyone knew it was going to be the best ambient album of the decade, and then we heard it, and yeah, it was. But then we realized it was an ambient album, which is about as listenable as bird calls on cd. When do you actually turn it on and listen to it? I mean people had no idea what to rate it, because on one hand most knew it was a great accomplishment for it's field, but also that it is background music, and at it's best will never be anything defining, will not have that sentimental moment where you hear the song and it flashes you back. Rarely do I hear 10 minute drone and it takes me back to my college glory days. That's why you see it getting such high review marks, but it won't make many people's top albums of the year, unless they are wankers that laughed when they saw the song title dopamine clouds over craven cottage. And if they do rank it #1 I'm going to force them to sit down and listen to the whole album with nothing else going on and video tape them as they wait for some sort of high on that album where you can go, oh yeah. So McBride and Adam whatever...props to you. You made a great ambient album that I'll never listen to unless I'm making a soundtrack or falling asleep. Or a soundtrack TO falling asleep.

so that's why I can't believe it, essentially.

OMG, who are you and what have you done with Bmags???

if that came across as abrasive I'm sorry rowand, I didn't mean it to. I've just been in so many discussions on that album when I frankly feel it just is beautiful, but in 20-30 second frames. I can handle repitition, i love minimal techno and post-rock, but they build up to something, and the lack of beat or drums in SotL I guess I can't identify with. I like eno ambient and i can handle drone music, but i need that beat or those drums. Sorry if it came across as like elitist as hell i just get frustrated with this album because i really don't know what to do with it.