Signings from the 2008 Draft

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 05:18 PM)

Thanks for posting that.

I love this excerpt from the story...

A week ago Lucas got the call from the White Sox with an offer to play and at 8 o'clock Friday morning he was on a plane to join the team in Bristol. The team provided him a place to stay for three days until he was able to find his own living arrangements. Lucas ended up sharing a room in a house with several other guys on the team, conveniently located close to the field. Neither he nor any of his roommates have a car so they all ride bikes to work.

"If you look outside the front of the house you'll see like 18 bikes parked out there because none of us have a car," joked Lucas. "Everything happened so fast, I just went and got my bike from Goodwill."

Minor league reality!!

Edited by scenario

Some quotes from Jordan Danks in one of Merkin's articles, anyone else get the impression that he wants to sign soon. :D

“Everybody’s been saying from Day 1, ‘What’s it going to be like if you ever make it to the show and have to face your brother?’” said Jordan, standing next to his brother John’s locker in the White Sox clubhouse prior to Tuesday’s game against the Indians.

“I don’t have to worry about that now,” added Jordan with a smile.

"That's what John told me on Draft day," said Jordan, who added his brother has been a strong guiding force through the entire Draft process. "He had numerous examples of guys that said, 'It didn't matter where you got drafted. It matters what you do when you get in the Minor Leagues.' I'm really just going to use it as motivation to go out there and try to play my best.

"It's really exciting. I got to play with [John] in high school and it was fun. I got to play left field while he pitched. Hopefully, I'll be in his outfield some day helping tracking down some of those balls that get away every now and again."

"I'm just ready to get going and find out where I'm headed to and where to sign that contract and hopefully get up here as quick as possible," Jordan said. "When you see all this, it gives you motivation."

According to the Trib, the Sox are gonna give one more effort to sign Kyle Long. Some Sox brass are going to visit him, which is definitely a good sign, I don't think the Sox would do this if they had 0 shot to sign him. Like someone said, the Long's must still have the door open pending on the bonus money.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 06:40 AM)
According to the Trib, the Sox are gonna give one more effort to sign Kyle Long. Some Sox brass are going to visit him, which is definitely a good sign, I don't think the Sox would do this if they had 0 shot to sign him. Like someone said, the Long's must still have the door open pending on the bonus money.

This is fantastic news. Kyle Long is very very raw and a high high risk draft pick (the odds of him panning out lesser than the typical guy with his type of ability). However, if all went right, you are talking about a potential middle of the order bat (I still say he projects better there) with massive power potential (something our system actually lacks, despite the power we have at the major league level). Even if they fall short they have a chance to have the groundwork set for what could happen a couple years from now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)
With Upchurch in the fold, and Beckham and Danks not to far behind, this will be a great draft. Long would be a cherry on top.

well atleast some sundaes are good without cherries

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 11:56 AM)
well atleast some sundaes are good without cherries

Im not trying to flame but that is the worst ice cream metaphor i have ever read, i award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 10:06 AM)
This is fantastic news. Kyle Long is very very raw and a high high risk draft pick (the odds of him panning out lesser than the typical guy with his type of ability). However, if all went right, you are talking about a potential middle of the order bat (I still say he projects better there) with massive power potential (something our system actually lacks, despite the power we have at the major league level). Even if they fall short they have a chance to have the groundwork set for what could happen a couple years from now.

If you read the article in the Tribune, they mention him as a left-handed pitcher with a mid 90s fastball. If he does throw that hard, he is more valuable as a pitcher than a first baseman. I would think that the Sox would agree. Lefties with that kind of fastball don't grow on trees, you know, and it is a possiblity that in the unlikely event that he signs, that he'd be ready for the bigs about the same time that Buehrle's contract is up if everything goes well for him.

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 03:11 PM)
haha thanks, but yeah sheesh TCQ just was throwing it out there :headbang

Dude you know i like you your cool, with those things that you do at the place that one time but come on man...come on

Man, is it good to hear that Danks is all but signed and that we haven't given up on Long just yet. However, if we can't get long, we should use the money we were going to give him and try to sign some of the later round picks out of high school who dropped because of signability concerns. If we miss out on Long but then get James McCann and Randall Thorpe, I'll be very happy.

This is turning into a great draft for us and really putting some talent into the system.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 07:43 AM)
Man, is it good to hear that Danks is all but signed and that we haven't given up on Long just yet. However, if we can't get long, we should use the money we were going to give him and try to sign some of the later round picks out of high school who dropped because of signability concerns. If we miss out on Long but then get James McCann and Randall Thorpe, I'll be very happy.

This is turning into a great draft for us and really putting some talent into the system.

Mcann and Thorpe would be awesome but have they even thought about them much, youd figure theyd have to give them a pretty good bonus to get them to sign and being such late picks that looks unlikely. Have you heard anything about the sox makin a move?

QUOTE (TCQ @ Jul 3, 2008 -> 08:43 AM)
Mcann and Thorpe would be awesome but have they even thought about them much, youd figure theyd have to give them a pretty good bonus to get them to sign and being such late picks that looks unlikely. Have you heard anything about the sox makin a move?

No, I am just hoping if we miss out on Long that we'd use the money we were going to give him and try and sign McCann and Thorpe. I really want McCann signed to as he is a switch hitting catcher.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 05:39 PM)
I haven't seen any word on Beckham in a loooooong time. It would be nice to have him get some pro ball in this year.

Not to mention that the "all but signed" Jordan Danks is still not signed.

seriously, it would be nice to know if any progress is being made or if they're even in contact. Nothing has happened on the signings front for a while

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 03:37 PM)
seriously, it would be nice to know if any progress is being made or if they're even in contact. Nothing has happened on the signings front for a while

It was noted on here that after the CWS, Beckham was going on a long vacation, and nothing was going to happen until he got back. I assumed it would be sometime this month, but, patience my friend.