Teixeira???

I was reading an article in ESPN magazine and it was speculating about big trades that may happen this season and it talked about the Angels, Red Sox, and White Sox as three teams that would look to trade for him. What are your thoughts on this??? Who will it take to get him??? Do we have the spects to get it done and even if we do would you trade away spects from a already depleted minor league??? If we do swing a deal for him do we get rid of Konerko or Thome???? Would you trade either of those to the red sox or angels seeing as they missed out on Tex or since theyre contenders do you stay away from those teams?

I'd personally love to get him but only if we can get a good return from PK or Thome. The article stated that he was a Boras client and a free agent after this year so he'd be a rent a player that i think with this pitching staff and the hitting we already have in place would give us an even more legit chance at another world series ring.

As far as who would they want well Chipper Jones isnt exactly the youngest guy around so i think them picking up Josh Fields would be a big part of the deal, but do you trade Fields for a rent a player??? Plus Crede is also a Boras client and its very possible that hes gone (i pray hes not but hes an All star and a Borass client so hes gonna be getting a huge contract and im not sure the sox will give him that) so who plays 3rd for us next year if we trade Fields??

our lineup would look something like this

1. OC

2. AJP

3. Carlos

4. JD

5. Tex

6. PK or Thome

7. Crede

8. Swish

9. Lexi

that lineup with our pitching would be straight up sick

but what would next years lineup look like with OC Crede and Tex all likely to leave???

Your thoughts?

no point in doing it in my opinion. We dont really need another power hitting, and i wouldnt want to have the problem of having to trade another player so that this player fits well with the team.

The only way this works is if Teixiera says he'll play 3B(position he came up on). Haha which is not gonna happen, then you add on Boras. Just a whole bunch of no's going around

QUOTE (R.J. @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 08:03 PM)
We don't have the ammunition nor a place to dump Thome to make this feasible.

would love teixeira...but these guys all hit it on the head...it just wouldnt work out

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 08:12 PM)
If KW can find a way to do it im all for it. Tex would be an upgrade this year and than will set us up better for the future too if we make the commitment to resign him.

No way the Sox trade for him. One name: Boras.

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
To get him PK or Thome would have to be part of the deal and there's no way the braves would take on either of those contracts

PK's contract is very reasonable. He is signed for 12 mil per year. If he shows he is heathy he would be a good pickup depending on what else we offer Atlanta.

Of course PK is a 10/5 guy so KW couldn't do it without permission.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2008 -> 09:28 PM)
Can we just delete any thread that talks about adding a starter at 1B or DH?

agree

Thome has been one of the best Sox hitters since June 1st and, if Konerko is healthy, he's pretty much as good as any 1Bman the Sox could acquire from anywhere anyways.

I don't see a place to upgrade the lineup without an absolutely ridiculous change, and, really, the only place you can upgrade is the bench - there's a ton you can upgrade there, and it could all happen with one move. Not sure what it is, but I'm sure KW and company have their eye(s) set on a few guys as it is. He said to expect nothing major, and I don't expecting anything major at all.

Thome isn't an option. Konerko probably isn't either and the only way the Sox could make the deal work is if one of Thome/Konerko is dealt (and as Thome is a DH not a 1B that means Konerko). I'd obviously make a deal involving Konerko and Texeira but the question is what other parts go (Fields & Poreda would be my guess). If the Sox could get him to ink an extension I'd be all over that deal, but I don't think thats the case nor am I even sure the Braves would do that deal. Braves would only do it if Paulie came back and started hitting good for the next couple weeks. And you have to ask yourself if Paulie is hitting good (which is the only way the Braves would want him) than would it really be that much of an upgrade to get Tex (yes, he's much better than Paulie, but Paulie is at least signed and you can move him in the off-season if he's willing to accept a deal) where as with Tex you'd have him this year and than get draft picks.

I'd offer Konerko for Teixeira as a way to dump Paulie's contract. I see Konerko continuing to decline, and we already have Swisher as a first base replacement. This team played fine when Konerko was on the DL. It became faster, and still had more than enough power, since everyone in the lineup can hit double digit HRs.

Would the Braves take that deal to have stability at 1B? Probably not. Not even if we offered to cover say $2 million/year of Konerko's deal.

There's no way I'd give the Braves any prospects of ours that will be good major league players.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 07:27 PM)
I'd offer Konerko for Teixeira as a way to dump Paulie's contract. I see Konerko continuing to decline, and we already have Swisher as a first base replacement. This team played fine when Konerko was on the DL. It became faster, and still had more than enough power, since everyone in the lineup can hit double digit HRs.

Would the Braves take that deal to have stability at 1B? Probably not. Not even if we offered to cover say $2 million/year of Konerko's deal.

There's no way I'd give the Braves any prospects of ours that will be good major league players.

You're saying you would dump Konerko to the Braves for a half a year of Teixeria just so we can have the lineup that we had while Konerko was on the DL next season ... thats not going to happen

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 04:30 PM)
You're saying you would dump Konerko to the Braves for a half a year of Teixeria just so we can have the lineup that we had while Konerko was on the DL next season ... thats not going to happen

Actually I would be upset if the Sox didn't accept a Konerko/Texeira offer if it was on the table. It would give the Sox an improved bat for this season (Tex) and clear additional payroll to get a legit, impact, star type of player on the roster (or a couple. In addition, the Sox would be getting two first round picks as compensation for when Tex walks.

That would be the biggest no brainers in the history of trades (Tex for Paulie). That of course is from the White Sox perspective and if I'm the Braves I wouldn't even consider it unless you were getting some good prospects in return or a significant amount of cash (and on top of that, Paulie would have to be playing productive for them to consider such).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2008 -> 11:42 AM)
Actually I would be upset if the Sox didn't accept a Konerko/Texeira offer if it was on the table. It would give the Sox an improved bat for this season (Tex) and clear additional payroll to get a legit, impact, star type of player on the roster (or a couple. In addition, the Sox would be getting two first round picks as compensation for when Tex walks.

That would be the biggest no brainers in the history of trades (Tex for Paulie). That of course is from the White Sox perspective and if I'm the Braves I wouldn't even consider it unless you were getting some good prospects in return or a significant amount of cash (and on top of that, Paulie would have to be playing productive for them to consider such).

That trade would be so one-sided it wouldn't be worth considering. It's like trading Brain Anderson to the Orioles for Adam Jones.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jul 9, 2008 -> 06:27 PM)

First of all, you have to give good players to get good players. It's the name of the game.

Secondly, if you could actually see into the future and tell me which hitters will be good and which will suck, I don't know why you are on a message board.