The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
Leaving the opportunistic over-reaction to violent metaphors aside for a moment, you're ignoring that Fox intentionally edited the clip by removing a sentence from the middle in order to forward their narrative of "union thugs" by completely removing the context for the metaphor. That's a pretty egregious violation of ethical standards for reporting.

The Palin thing stuck out because her map specifically called out Giffords with a cross-hair. Having that come to mind and saying "hey, maybe we should be a little more careful with violent metaphors" isn't exactly unreasonable, but the "OMG! Palin's stupidity got giffords shot! End all violent metaphors now!" reaction was dumb.

I hold my breath waiting for you to chastise MSNBC or CNN (whoever it was) that called Perry racist by talking about a "black cloud" of debt we're under.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And really I don't see the outrage over Fox News there. Does anyone (including Fox News) really think Hoffa was calling for people to pick up their guns and start a civil war? It was all rhetoric. But since liberals are excused from using that kind of rhetoric whenever it suits their message, Fox News rightly pointed out the hypocrisy.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 03:34 PM)
I hold my breath waiting for you to chastise MSNBC or CNN (whoever it was) that called Perry racist by talking about a "black cloud" of debt we're under.

You can keep holding your breath until some unknown source who said a thing is chastised by me. That's really a nonsense objection.

lol it was Ed Schultz, I've already called that guy the left-wing version of Limbaugh except even more annoying somehow. He's absolutely terrible. Your objection here still doesn't excuse Fox's deliberate editing of a clip, though.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 03:37 PM)
And really I don't see the outrage over Fox News there. Does anyone (including Fox News) really think Hoffa was calling for people to pick up their guns and start a civil war? It was all rhetoric. But since liberals are excused from using that kind of rhetoric whenever it suits their message, Fox News rightly pointed out the hypocrisy.

Uh, they intentionally edited out a key portion of the quote in order to change the apparent message. They didn't cut the quote short or start it late, they removed a single sentence from the middle which gives context to the entire metaphor from something violent to clearly about voting. If that sentence stays in, Fox's standard dumb narrative of "union thugs call for violence!" falls apart. It's not like LGF is some lefty blog here, either. Fox News didn't point out any hypocrisy, they manipulated a video and lied to further a narrative.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 03:44 PM)
Uh, they intentionally edited out a key portion of the quote in order to change the apparent message. They didn't cut the quote short or start it late, they removed a single sentence from the middle which gives context to the entire metaphor from something violent to clearly about voting. If that sentence stays in, Fox's standard dumb narrative of "union thugs call for violence!" falls apart. It's not like LGF is some lefty blog here, either. Fox News didn't point out any hypocrisy, they manipulated a video and lied to further a narrative.

So the change from "Union leader calls for war against the tea party" to "union leader calls for war against tea party by getting out to vote" is a big change in the narrative? Come on. You're reaching. No sane person believed that Hoffa was truly calling for physical violence to combat the GOP or conservative-minded people. That's asinine.

Edit: even by responding i'm making a bigger deal out of it than this "issue" warrants. At the end of the day Hoffa said we need to go to war against the tea party. Obama, we are your army, lets go. Fox News' coverage was basically "oh s***, our audience is tea partiers, we should report on the fact that the union is calling for a war against our audience."

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 04:41 PM)
So the change from "Union leader calls for war against the tea party" to "union leader calls for war against tea party by getting out to vote" is a big change in the narrative? Come on. You're reaching. No sane person believed that Hoffa was truly calling for physical violence to combat the GOP or conservative-minded people. That's asinine.

Edit: even by responding i'm making a bigger deal out of it than this "issue" warrants. At the end of the day Hoffa said we need to go to war against the tea party. Obama, we are your army, lets go. Fox News' coverage was basically "oh s***, our audience is tea partiers, we should report on the fact that the union is calling for a war against our audience."

keep making excuses for deliberating editing context out of the middle of statements to make them appear worse than they are to fit the network's standard "union thugs" narrative. Yes, a change from "let's take them out by voting!" to "let's take them out!" is substantial since the latter implies violence that the former does not.

This isn't actually a big deal because Fox doesn't really have any journalistic integrity. I posted it in response to someone else pointing out how the left uses such violent rhetoric, since it turns out that in at least this instance the actual, unedited statement is a lot more innocuous than the misleading edit that generated so much OUTRAGE! on rightwing blogs/radio/TV

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 04:47 PM)
keep making excuses for deliberating editing context out of the middle of statements to make them appear worse than they are to fit the network's standard "union thugs" narrative. Yes, a change from "let's take them out by voting!" to "let's take them out!" is substantial since the latter implies violence that the former does not.

This isn't actually a big deal because Fox doesn't really have any journalistic integrity. I posted it in response to someone else pointing out how the left uses such violent rhetoric, since it turns out that in at least this instance the actual, unedited statement is a lot more innocuous than the misleading edit that generated so much OUTRAGE! on rightwing blogs/radio/TV

Keep creating irrelevant issues to support your clear and obvious bias towards anything conservative. We're all out to get you.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 05:04 PM)
Keep creating irrelevant issues to support your clear and obvious bias towards anything conservative. We're all out to get you.

This really made no sense when taking into account what you bolded and quoted.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 05:04 PM)

I'm not quite sure what this response is supposed to mean or address, other than being an obvious dodge of the issue.

WHile Obama prattles on, and his union lackey Trumka sits by in attendance, union members are causing mayhem and committing crimes in Washington State. But it is the Tea partiers we need to worry about.

Longshoremen storm Wash. state port, damage RR

AP – 9 hrs ago

LONGVIEW, Wash. (AP) — Hundreds of Longshoremen stormed the Port of Longview early Thursday, overpowered and held security guards, damaged railroad cars, and dumped grain that is the center of a labor dispute, said Longview Police Chief Jim Duscha.

Six guards were held hostage for a couple of hours after 500 or more Longshoremen broke down gates about 4:30 a.m. and smashed windows in the guard shack, he said.

No one was hurt, and nobody has been arrested. Most of the protesters returned to their union hall after cutting brake lines and spilling grain from car at the EGT terminal, Duscha said.

The International Longshore and Warehouse Union believes it has the right to work at the facility, but the company has hired a contractor that's staffing a workforce of other union laborers.

Thursday's violence was first reported by Kelso radio station KLOG.

Police from several agencies in southwest Washington, the Washington State Patrol and Burlington Northern Santa Fe responded to the violence to secure the scene that followed a demonstration Wednesday.

"We're not surprised," Duscha said. "A lot of the protesters were telling us this in only the start."

One sergeant was threatened with baseball bats and retreated, Duscha said. "One officer with hundreds of Longshoremen? He used the better part of discretion."

The train was the first grain shipment to arrive at Longview. It arrived Wednesday night after police arrested 19 demonstrators who tried to block the tracks. They were led by ILWU International President Robert McEllrath, who said they would return.

The blockade appeared to defy a federal restraining order issued last week against the union after it was accused of assaults and death threats.

EGT chief executive Larry Clarke said it was unfortunate that law enforcement needed to make arrests.

http://news.yahoo.com/longshoremen-storm-w...-144921214.html

Do I understand this correctly? One guy makes a case about Texas compared to other states. To refute those claims the second guy uses cities to prove that the first guy's claim about states is wrong? Seems like you should compare more states to refute an argument based on states.

And the interesting challenge the GOP will have when Perry sews up the nomination is part of the strategy against the Dems will be illegal immigration, a big part of the success of their nominee as governor will be undocumented workers. (I switched on purpose). It will be fun to watch. And people who are out of work for significant times will take those lower paying jobs, just to be working.

The government doesn't need to do anything about the economy. It is rebounding just fine. In fact if Obama suggested doing nothing, the GOP would have nothing to campaign about.

I know several people that would disagree with you, the economy could help. Rebuilding America is IMO the way to give it a boost.. The ROI on doing that is 104%.. How is that a bad thing?

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 09:20 PM)
I know several people that would disagree with you, the economy could help. Rebuilding America is IMO the way to give it a boost.. The ROI on doing that is 104%.. How is that a bad thing?

WTF?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 06:15 PM)
I'm not quite sure what this response is supposed to mean or address, other than being an obvious dodge of the issue.

I thought it was pretty clear. I think you're creating this issue because of a bias you have towards anything pro-conservatives or pro-GOP. At the end of the day the edit didn't change anything. You're assuming that people that watch Fox News are too stupid to realize that the call to war didn't actually mean war with guns and violence, but a war against an ideology by way of political action. Until you can present me with someone on Fox News saying "here's the clip of a union thug, stay in your homes. Those union thugs are coming after you with their bats to change your mind" this is just some bulls*** point-the-finger nonsense.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 08:48 AM)
I thought it was pretty clear. I think you're creating this issue because of a bias you have towards anything pro-conservatives or pro-GOP. At the end of the day the edit didn't change anything. You're assuming that people that watch Fox News are too stupid to realize that the call to war didn't actually mean war with guns and violence, but a war against an ideology by way of political action. Until you can present me with someone on Fox News saying "here's the clip of a union thug, stay in your homes. Those union thugs are coming after you with their bats to change your mind" this is just some bulls*** point-the-finger nonsense.

I posted it in response to someone saying it was violent rhetoric from a union. I didn't create an issue but pointed out some follow-up information on the statement and Fox's actions with a one-line post. You're the one who flipped out over it.

But please, keep the excuses for deliberately editing the video coming. They just did it for the hell of it, not because they expected it to portray his comments in a negative way! Speech only has power if things are explicitly stated!

I think Kap wants to know where you got the seemingly random 104% ROI number, for a suggested general bill that hasn't even been fully written yet.

Gotcha, for every dollar the GOV Spends on infrastructure building, they get back 104% back in taxes. I believe it is the only ROI that is positive in regards to GOV spending.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 10:12 AM)
Gotcha, for every dollar the GOV Spends on infrastructure building, they get back 104% back in taxes. I believe it is the only ROI that is positive in regards to GOV spending.

That number seems incredibly precise. I'd imagine it varies a lot depending on the type of infrastructure spending, how needed that infrastructure spending is, and the interest rate the feds are paying on debt.