What the hell happened to our pitching/defense?

whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 07:25 AM)
Maybe you guys that see him play every game haven't noticed, but has Paulie gotten slimmer and slimmer since 2005? Am I nuts?

in one of his recent mailbags gonzalez mentioned that paulie's lost a lot of weight.

edit: it was actually on the radio with coppock this past saturday morning.

Edited by thedoctor

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when PK came back there was a thread to the effect of why put him back in if we were winning to which I replied "if it ain't broke....."

chemistry is a big thing and if a group of players feel they're locked in, you have to leave well enough alone. Wise was filling in very very nicely (hits but especially speed legging out the xtra base to tack on runs we would not have had with PK lumbering one base per hit) and we were cruising.

Having a dead spot in the offense puts pressure on the rest of the O if they fall behind, and on the pitcher if he believes the O cannot come back if he gives a few up.

I don't think the pitching struggles and PKs return aren't related

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:10 PM)
when PK came back there was a thread to the effect of why put him back in if we were winning to which I replied "if it ain't broke....."

chemistry is a big thing and if a group of players feel they're locked in, you have to leave well enough alone. Wise was filling in very very nicely (hits but especially speed legging out the xtra base to tack on runs we would not have had with PK lumbering one base per hit) and we were cruising.

Having a dead spot in the offense puts pressure on the rest of the O if they fall behind, and on the pitcher if he believes the O cannot come back if he gives a few up.

I don't think the pitching struggles and PKs return aren't related

This sounds odd, but I thought Swisher brought a ton of energy to the team when he was at first base. The infield seemed a lot looser, as did the pitching.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 02:31 PM)
in one of his recent mailbags gonzalez mentioned that paulie's lost a lot of weight.

I've only seen bits and pieces of footage of him in the past two years and it's obvious to me. His legs are kinda thinner but especially his chest and shoulders.

In addition to his hip issue, is there something going on that is limiting his workout routine?? Maybe it's the wrist.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 03:19 PM)
and what do they have to show for it?

at least we have a ring.

just proves they're good enough to win, what has been a weak division since it's inception for the most part, sans a few years....

The playoffs are just an exercise in who gets lucky, which is why it's so vital (and difficult) to get to October in the first place. One day people will understand this is how you win championships, get to the playoffs as much as possible and hope the good fortune falls into place. That, and have good pitching.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 03:31 PM)

Well Paulie does have a triple and a SB this year so...

(green not necessary)

I figured the galling numbers needed to be updated. Since the July 7th off day, the Sox are now 10-12. The Sox have allowed 7, 6, 4, 7, 7, 12, 5, 9, 8, 6, 2, 8, 5, 6, 6, 7, 6, 3, 10, 2, 9, and 14 runs. That is 149 runs in 22 games, 6.77 runs per game. The Sox have also made 24 errors in those 22 games. Want to know why we are in 2nd place? Look no further.

All we can hope is a contributing factor to this is the fact that 16 of those 22 games were on the road, whereas on the flipside, 16 of our next 19 are at home. Because if that's not the problem, then we've got a big problem.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 02:25 AM)
Maybe you guys that see him play every game haven't noticed, but has Paulie gotten slimmer and slimmer since 2005? Am I nuts?

good god, not every freaking guy who has a bad year "looks slimmer this year". People need to stop with that argument for every single guy

AJ is slimmer, so he was on roids right? Oh wait, hes having a near career year being "slim".

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 07:24 PM)
No kidding. Even with Floyd pitching well, you can never have too much starting pitching.

I guess it's kind of a hypothetical/theoretical exercise, but with Garland in the rotation (maybe Contreras could have been shifted to the bullpen, although unlikely for someone at $10 million or so per year)...and Ramirez at SS and Uribe at 2B, would we be any better off?

We'd obviously have had a better pitcher than Masset or Richard to use for three games...

Or if we kept Gio and Sweeney...although how that would have put us in an improved position, I have no earthly idea.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 05:31 AM)
I guess it's kind of a hypothetical/theoretical exercise, but with Garland in the rotation (maybe Contreras could have been shifted to the bullpen, although unlikely for someone at $10 million or so per year)...and Ramirez at SS and Uribe at 2B, would we be any better off?

We'd obviously have had a better pitcher than Masset or Richard to use for three games...

Or if we kept Gio and Sweeney...although how that would have put us in an improved position, I have no earthly idea.

One of Floyd and Danks would not have been in our rotation had we kept Garland, so I'm not sure what would have been gained. Knowing what we know now though, it would be nice to plug in Garland ahead of Contreras instead of Garland keeping out one of this seasons two best pitchers, which would have been the case if we kept him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 05:31 AM)

If we did not have Cabrera, there is no way that Ramirez would have been playing SS over Uribe. Actually since Richar got hurt it's anyone's guess who that would've been considering Alexei was still very raw at the time and may or may not have started at 2B(Ozuna? /shudder).

Pitching and defense have slumps just like hitting does. its a part of the game, hopefully it doesnt last too long becuase we will drop in the division fast if it keeps up. I expect a fast turn around when we domolish the Tigers this week and a carry over of that for Boston

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
I never liked the Garland trade from the begining. But our rotation would've been with Buehrle, Vazquez, Contreras, Garland, Danks, meaning Floyd would've been left out. Right now I'd still rather have Floyd starting than Garland.

Actually...I'd say it's more likely Danks would have been left out if Floyd wasn't traded, because Danks has options left, Floyd does not. They weren't releasing him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 03:37 PM)
Actually...I'd say it's more likely Danks would have been left out if Floyd wasn't traded, because Danks has options left, Floyd does not. They weren't releasing him.

That was a tough situation. Danks needed to be in the rotation for the sake of his development... but we all knew that Danks would need September off to save his arm and that we couldn't count on Contreras.

I was against the trade at the time and obviously still don't like it with 20/20 hindsight. But if I were in Kenny's shoes back in November, I'm not quite sure what I would've done. Putting Floyd in long-relief with an occasional spot-start may have been an option, although not a very good one.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 06:39 PM)
How would Jon Garland look right now?

GS IP H R ER HR BB SO HBP WP ERA ERA+ WHIP

PLAYER A 22 138 155 73 66 16 45 63 6 3 4.30 98 1.50

PLAYER B 22 141 151 75 73 19 40 133 6 1 4.66 95 1.36

PLAYER C 19 119.3 127 64 61 12 35 68 3 6 4.60 96 1.36

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 09:30 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=1707535:date=Aug 3, 2008 -> 06:39 PM:name=WhiteSoxfan1986)-->
QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Aug 3, 2008 -> 06:39 PM)
<!--quotec-->How would Jon Garland look right now?

GS IP H R ER HR BB SO HBP WP ERA ERA+ WHIP

PLAYER A 22 138 155 73 66 16 45 63 6 3 4.30 98 1.50

PLAYER B 22 141 151 75 73 19 40 133 6 1 4.66 95 1.36

PLAYER C 19 119.3 127 64 61 12 35 68 3 6 4.60 96 1.36

Garland, Vazquez, mystery?