Ken Griffey Jr. + Cash to the White Sox

joejoesox

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 05:38 PM)
I don't think they did, and its pretty much your sole of example of why Griffey may not be in CF -- despite Williams confirming it. Rowand was considered around here to be a Gold Glover in CF, why in the hell would he be moved to LF for Podsednik?

Konerko was considered a GG 1B until a few months ago around here.......

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 05:02 PM)
Anyone hear Williams quotes concerning this trade? ESPN had a quick segment from him where he said CF is the easiest of the positions to field. There's something wrong with someone who belives that. And no, I don't believe he was "purposely doing this to deceive the media" or any other excuse some of you may come up with.

He said from a health perspective

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:07 PM)
He said from a health perspective

ESPN did a good job taking it out of context, then.

Although, even from a health perspective, does that sound right CF would be the least harmful on someone's body? You'll still need to run and possibly dive in RF/LF, and I would think you'd only be doing more of it in CF.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 06:10 PM)
ESPN did a good job taking it out of context, then.

Although, even from a health perspective, does that sound right CF would be the least harmful on someone's body? You'll still need to run and possibly dive in RF/LF, and I would think you'd only be doing more of it in CF.

Yeah I mean I guess from a health perspective it's certainly more arguable than a pure difficulty standpoint.

Well technically playing left and right you are more likely to have to stop quickly (as you approach foul territory) where as in CF the only significant stops of action you'd have would be related to playing the balls at the wall. So I guess he could have a point there. However, you are going to run more in CF than the other positions or at least I believe you will.

Unbelievable. CF is easier health wise than RF or LF? Then why the hell isn't Griffey still there? Or is Kenny the only one with this esteemed information? Whatever, I don't care about it anymore...lets just see what happens with the last two months of the season. The division is so there for the taking and after that anything can happen.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 05:30 PM)
This is just from your experience, which I'm sorry to say is wrong. CF is the most difficult OF position to field and there shouldn't be any debate. Lets just throw Dye or Quentin in CF and see what happens. Remember Mackowiak, or Podsednik? They were LFers who failed miserably in CF.

It's not from my playing experience, I've never played at a high level. It's from talking with major and minor league players in the dugout. Most told me that at the corners it can be tougher to judge the ball off the bat due to the hooks and slices the ball takes. The only part of CF that is tougher is you need to cover more ground and bad jumps make it look even worse.

Dye and Q could n't play CF because they don't have the speed to cover the ground. It's not that it's a more difficult position they just don't have the skill set to play it. LF's who fail in CF just can't cover the ground to be effective. That is speed not difficulty.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 08:07 PM)
Unbelievable. CF is easier health wise than RF or LF? Then why the hell isn't Griffey still there? Or is Kenny the only one with this esteemed information? Whatever, I don't care about it anymore...lets just see what happens with the last two months of the season. The division is so there for the taking and after that anything can happen.

Again, The point is not that CF is not difficult but the main attribute for a CF is to cover ground. The corner outfielders do not need to cover as much ground however the ball tends to hook or slice more thus making the read of the ball more difficult. It remains to be seen if Griffey can do that.

As I stated when this started, you COULD make a case that the corners are tougher because of the more difficult read of the ball. In center the read of the ball is more true due to the lessened spin, you just need the speed to get there. I never said this was fact, just that from one perspective, it MAY be more difficult.

I think many people on here underestimate the change from corner OF to CF. Balls hit to center field seem routine because they hardly move. Balls hit to left and right slice and hook hard towards the foul line as a general rule, and are thus much more difficult to read. However, in CF you need to have better reads because you are responsible for a great deal of ground compared to the corners. One could certainly argue that someone with speed that struggled with the slice would do better and cover more ground in center. I have, as a matter of fact witnessed this. I've played on a team with two centerfielders, one of whom was a great CF the other was an above average CF and neither could play left or right at an acceptable level because the break on the ball was so much greater.

Take it was a grain of salt. That's the same guy who wanted Swish CUT earlier this season.

Benched yes, cut no. Sorry I don't worship Swish like some do on here. Check Oz's quote the other day and he also ripped Swish's batting average, comparing it to Paulie's. Calling me "the same guy" is an insult. You are not the only person with an opinion on baseball. I root for Swish to do well. Do I think he sucks? Yes I do. If he is the hero of September or the WS I'll be the first to say I was wrong.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 11:27 PM)
Benched yes, cut no. Sorry I don't worship Swish like some do on here. Check Oz's quote the other day and he also ripped Swish's batting average, comparing it to Paulie's. Calling me "the same guy" is an insult. You are not the only person with an opinion on baseball. I root for Swish to do well. Do I think he sucks? Yes I do. If he is the hero of September or the WS I'll be the first to say I was wrong.

I think that if we were to bench Swish in favor of Konerko it would probably change nothing if they both played just as they are now. If Swish struggles for the next series or two, Paul deserves another extended chance because Swish has hardly outproduced him previously this season.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 04:33 AM)
I think that if we were to bench Swish in favor of Konerko it would probably change nothing if they both played just as they are now. If Swish struggles for the next series or two, Paul deserves another extended chance because Swish has hardly outproduced him previously this season.

As bad as Swish has been, Konerko isn't even on his level, which says just ho bad Paulie has been.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:40 PM)
As bad as Swish has been, Konerko isn't even on his level, which says just ho bad Paulie has been.

one area, and this is just from my own observations.... i don't have the stats to support it (they are probably out there though)

konerko seems better with two strikes than swisher does

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 11:40 PM)

If you subtract the month of June, one could argue Swisher's been worse outside of that month.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 11:49 PM)
one area, and this is just from my own observations.... i don't have the stats to support it (they are probably out there though)

konerko seems better with two strikes than swisher does

You'd be right. Swisher is pretty awful with 2 strikes on him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?playerId=5937

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?playerId=3747

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 05:49 AM)

perhaps what that tells us is Nick goes into a mindset where he is trying to do way too much rather than letting the game come to him, could be that he's trying to impress his new teammates, who knows.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 06:49 AM)

What is really unbelievable is his numbers after a first pitch strike. .168 avg. .225 slugging pct. If you throw a first pitch strike, and I believe he's only put 13 first pitches into play this season, he basically hits like a run of the mill NL pitcher.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 08:11 AM)
What is really unbelievable is his numbers after a first pitch strike. .168 avg. .225 slugging pct. If you throw a first pitch strike, and I believe he's only put 13 first pitches into play this season, he basically hits like a run of the mill NL pitcher.

Which tells me he's waaaaaaaaay over thinking up there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 05:04 AM)
So when did Nick turn into a hockey goalie at first base, and maybe Griffey can just play 1B instead? :bang

Like I've been saying, Swish's superior arm and range DO NOT make him a significant defensive upgrade over PK. He failed to scoop a slightly-off-target throw from Alexei a week or so ago as well.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 09:28 AM)
Like I've been saying, Swish's superior arm and range DO NOT make him a significant defensive upgrade over PK. He failed to scoop a slightly-off-target throw from Alexei a week or so ago as well.

His approach on those balls is 100% backwards. Instead of going to the ball and scooping it out, he is falling back to wait out the hop. That technique is not right at all.