Call Ups

Vance Law

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charlie Haeger, Boone Logan, Mike MacDougal, Ehren Wasserman, hopefully Scott Linebrink because we need him when he's healthy, Donny Lucy, Josh Fields, Chris Getz, Jerry Owens, Dwayne Wise when he's healthy.

I have 10 people coming up, so maybe that's too much, hard to say. There's always Pablo Ozuna too.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 30, 2008 -> 10:31 AM)
Charlie Haeger, Boone Logan, Mike MacDougal, Ehren Wasserman, hopefully Scott Linebrink because we need him when he's healthy, Donny Lucy, Josh Fields, Chris Getz, Jerry Owens, Dwayne Wise when he's healthy.

I have 10 people coming up, so maybe that's too much, hard to say. There's always Pablo Ozuna too.

He is on another team.

MacDougal seems to have snapped out of his snapped out of his year-and-a-half long funk recently.

In his last 10 outing (15.2 innings), he has a 2.30 ERA and has struck out 25.

That would be quite a plus for the pen if he could come up and give us something in September.

Edited by scenario

I agree with the list above (minus Lucy obviously).

And I wouldn't be surprised if Egbert is added. He's only had one bad month this year, and that was in May.

In his last 10 outings (60.2 innings), he has a 3.24 ERA with 54 K's and only 11 BBs.

A pitcher who can throw 95mph with sink on the ball, not walk people, and throw for multiple innings could come in pretty handy.

(And he's already on the 40-man roster.)

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 30, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
He is on another team.

Did he sign with another team, because the Dodgers DFA'd him.

I was looking at the 40 man roster and it said nothing about Lucy being out, which is why I included him. How long ago did he get injured, I missed that.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 30, 2008 -> 02:11 PM)
I agree with the list above (minus Lucy obviously).

And I wouldn't be surprised if Egbert is added. He's only had one bad month this year, and that was in May.

In his last 10 outings (60.2 innings), he has a 3.24 ERA with 54 K's and only 11 BBs.

A pitcher who can throw 95mph with sink on the ball, not walk people, and throw for multiple innings could come in pretty handy.

(And he's already on the 40-man roster.)

If Egbert threw 95 we'd have never seen Lance Broadway or Clayton Richard up here. Are you talking about Poreda?

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 30, 2008 -> 03:01 PM)
Did he sign with another team, because the Dodgers DFA'd him.

I was looking at the 40 man roster and it said nothing about Lucy being out, which is why I included him. How long ago did he get injured, I missed that.

I think he got injured sometime in May or something. He's been out a long time and I'd imagine he'd be transferred to the 60-day DL. There's also Dewon Day still on the 40-man so if we wanted to bring back Pablo and add another player or two not currently on the roster we could cut Day and do that.

I want to see Link or Rodriguez. Don't start the clock on Poreda yet unless the Sox plan on dealing him. If they do, I'd like Poreda as a LOOGY (but be added by tomorrow and called up so he's post-season eligible). Then, I guess bring up Owens as a pinch runner and Chris Getz as another back-up in the IF. Bring up Fields as some RH power off the bench in a pinch hit situation. Add Wassermann, and that's probably it. There's no reason to crowd the clubhouse with guys that aren't a fit for any situation aside from blow-outs.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 30, 2008 -> 02:32 PM)
If Egbert threw 95 we'd have never seen Lance Broadway or Clayton Richard up here. Are you talking about Poreda?

No. I'm talking about Egbert.

And if hadn't started out the year injured and then had a bad first month coming back from injury, we probably would have seen him up here rather than Broadway.

Last 10 performances:

Egbert has had 7 quality starts in his last 10 outings in Charlotte.

Broadway? 3 QS in his last 10 outings.

ERA in last 3 months (June, July, August):

Egbert = 3.51

Broadway = 6.44

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 30, 2008 -> 03:52 PM)
No. I'm talking about Egbert.

And if hadn't started out the year injured and then had a bad first month coming back from injury, we probably would have seen him up here rather than Broadway.

Last 10 performances:

Egbert has had 7 quality starts in his last 10 outings in Charlotte.

Broadway? 3 QS in his last 10 outings.

ERA in last 3 months (June, July, August):

Egbert = 3.51

Broadway = 6.44

He's put up some good numbers since finally getting over his arm troubles, but he still doesn't throw in the mid-90's. From what I've seen he seems to work in the 87-90mph range with his fastball. He's a good prospect, but with his control, change-up, and groundball ratio, if he worked in the mid-90's with his fastball he'd be an elite pitching prospect and well, well ahead of Poreda. He's got a shot at the Majors though.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 30, 2008 -> 04:27 PM)
He's put up some good numbers since finally getting over his arm troubles, but he still doesn't throw in the mid-90's. From what I've seen he seems to work in the 87-90mph range with his fastball. He's a good prospect, but with his control, change-up, and groundball ratio, if he worked in the mid-90's with his fastball he'd be an elite pitching prospect and well, well ahead of Poreda. He's got a shot at the Majors though.

Well... I'm not drunk yet... but I could be wrong.

So, I am looking for the scouting reports I thought I read with that info.

Well... I can't find the info, so I'm going to assume I'm wrong. (I'm usually pretty careful double checking info before I post, but I was so sure I was right I didn't this time. My fault.)

Ackkk... I hate being wrong.

I've been married long enough, I should be used to being wrong by now.

I get lots of practice at it.

Edited by scenario

MacDougal will get called up. Childers will not. There is no comparison between their stuff and ability.

MacDougal's problem has been his inability to get the ball over the plate consistently since the middle of 2007... but it's a problem which seems to have gotten alot better recently.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 30, 2008 -> 10:57 PM)
Who is Phillips? They had Heath Phillips last year, but he's long gone.

Paul Phillips... a RH catcher who split time with Armstrong at Charlotte this year.

He's got MLB experience. He was on KC's roster last year.

He had a nice spring training. There was even some talk on the board back then whether the Sox should move/dump Toby and have Phillips as AJs backup.

Given the choice, I'd bring up Cole Armstrong not Phillips.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 30, 2008 -> 11:11 PM)
Paul Phillips... a RH catcher who split time with Armstrong at Charlotte this year.

He's got MLB experience. He was on KC's roster last year.

He had a nice spring training. There was even some talk on the board back then whether the Sox should move/dump Toby and have Phillips as AJs backup.

Given the choice, I'd bring up Cole Armstrong not Phillips.

I like Cole Armstrong too but conventional wisdom to the sox management is the opposite of what we may think...... Edited by forrestg

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 31, 2008 -> 02:27 AM)
Aaron Poreda will make at least one more start for B'ham in the playoffs, possibly two or even three depending on how far they go.

I don't believe he should make the jump to the major league level quite yet, while his numbers are decent, well they are just that. He doesn't miss enough bats for a lefty throwing at the velocity that he is capable of reaching, what is currently his out pitch, a 95-97 mile an hour fast ball. He has limited feel for secondary pitches, which leads to not having a plan B or C in the bigs if he finds himself having trouble getting the fastball over, which will end up happening. I would like to see him repeat birmingham, charlotte the following season, depending on how well he has developed his secondary a call up mid season looks most realistic. I just don't see everyone's desire to rush him, he is a very raw, young, hard throwing lefty. We need to give him proper time to fully develope.

The real reason i responded is actually because i disagree with you in a way, depending of course. If the sox felt that he could help them make an impact with the big league club right at this moment he would be up regardless of minor league playoff contention. Minor league championships basically don't mean a damn thing in the grand scheme of things. The ultimate goal is a world series and nothing less.

Edited by qwerty