Call Ups

Vance Law

Ah yeah, Paul Phillips. Forgot about him. Considering Armstrong is on the 40-man, and having a good season, I kinda hope he gets the call.

The Boone Logan callup already is curious. He sucked at Charlotte too, so hopefully he's just going to be used in blowouts.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Chicago Sun-Times Today:

Up and down

When rosters expand Monday, look for center fielder Jerry Owens, third baseman Josh Fields and second baseman Chris Gets to be among the first wave of promotions. Broadway will stay with the Sox today and is expected to return when rosters expand.

Boone Logan is back and probably will be used as a situational lefty. I would expect maybe a couple more call ups maybe? However, when you are in the thick of a pennant race this isn't the time to be auditioning minor leage talent

Edited by elrockinMT

Surprised Logan got called up, as he apparently was terrible a few nights ago in Durham. As for Egbert last night, he was being clocked at 85 mph and was described as "terrible" by a Tampa front office executive. Niemann dominated the Knights, as he was perfect thru 5 innings and Fields took the golden sombrero.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 31, 2008 -> 11:23 AM)
As for Egbert last night, he was being clocked at 85 mph and was described as "terrible" by a Tampa front office executive.

Seems like every time you post about him, he drops a couple mph off his fastball. ;)

He was terrible last night... he gave up 4 runs in the first inning.

That doesn't change the fact that he has been very good since June 1st... 3.51 ERA with over a 3:1 K/BB ratio.

And I know I've read info on him that has described his fastball in the low 90's. (So unlikely that it's gone all the way down to 85 unless he has arm trouble.)

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 31, 2008 -> 05:55 PM)
Seems like every time you post about him, he drops a couple mph off his fastball. ;)

He was terrible last night... he gave up 4 runs in the first inning.

That doesn't change the fact that he has been very good since June 1st... 3.51 ERA with over a 3:1 K/BB ratio.

And I know I've read info on him that has described his fastball in the low 90's. (So unlikely that it's gone all the way down to 85 unless he has arm trouble.)

This was a first hand account, which is a lot more reliable than scouting reports.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 31, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
This was a first hand account, which is a lot more reliable than scouting reports.

Was your contact at any of the 7 quality starts he's had in his last 10 games?

Or just the game where he did poorly?

I'm not trying to bust your b***s...

Just trying to provide a little balance here.

Egbert has been very good for the last 3 months. He was outstanding in 2007... and in 2006.... and in 2005.

And I think trying to characterize his potential based on last night's game where he wasn't doesn't really make alot of sense.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (The Beast @ Aug 31, 2008 -> 01:59 PM)
I was just reading White Sox transactions on whitesox.com and I saw that they have Franklyn German down in the minors. Do you guys think that he's going to get called up? Anyone know much about him?

He may get called up for work in the next month, but unless he gets called up in the next 8 hours he wont be making the playoff roster. He does have ML experience, but he hasnt been very consistent even though he has shown some wicked stuff.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Aug 31, 2008 -> 12:01 PM)
He may get called up for work in the next month, but unless he gets called up in the next 8 hours he wont be making the playoff roster. He does have ML experience, but he hasnt been very consistent even though he has shown some wicked stuff.

Actually, the Sox have a few guys on the DL so if anyone called up as of September 1 or later impresses the Sox have the flexibility to get them added to the post-season roster.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 11:49 AM)
Saw elsewhere that MacDougal, Wassermann, and Owens got promoted as well.

Yep. Good call. Just checked Charlotte's roster. Wasserman, MacDougal, Owens, and Phillps are not on it today.

But Oney Guillen is.

And he's starting at 2B for the Knights today... and he got a hit (1-3 in today's season finale).

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 11:47 AM)
Yep. Good call. Just checked Charlotte's roster. Wasserman, MacDougal, Owens, and Phillps are not on it today.

But Oney Guillen is.

And he's starting at 2B for the Knights today.

Haha what does a .476 OPS in low-A translate to in AAA?

Edited by WHarris1

I've never hoped for any production out of any call ups. If you are trying to win a division with AAA guys, you are in trouble. If you are out of the race, it's a nice chance to get some MLB looks, but when every game, every AB matters, it's just a nicer plane ride and a nicer locker room.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)
I've never hoped for any production out of any call ups. If you are trying to win a division with AAA guys, you are in trouble. If you are out of the race, it's a nice chance to get some MLB looks, but when every game, every AB matters, it's just a nicer plane ride and a nicer locker room.

Well in this case someone like Owens could be particularly useful even without getting ABs, so there is call up that could actually be impactful

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
I asked that same question when he was sent down and was told that it does. I think the fact that he's not up probably is good evidence that it does also.

On the Charlotte roster, Getz is on the "reserve" list rather than active list...

Which (I believe) means he's been called up by the Sox but can't play until the 10 day period is over.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 11:53 AM)
Well in this case someone like Owens could be particularly useful even without getting ABs, so there is call up that could actually be impactful

Agreed. Also by having Phillips as a third catcher, it allows you to pinch run for AJ and not worry about having no catchers after Toby. The September call-ups while usually they don't play too much, they often impact the game in subtle ways by giving teams more flexibility in the bullpen, on in the field in the baseballs, etc. If we are killing a team, we can use one of the scrubs sent up and not have to even think about DJ, Thornton, Dotel, bobby and such.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 12:03 PM)
Agreed. Also by having Phillips as a third catcher, it allows you to pinch run for AJ and not worry about having no catchers after Toby. The September call-ups while usually they don't play too much, they often impact the game in subtle ways by giving teams more flexibility in the bullpen, on in the field in the baseballs, etc. If we are killing a team, we can use one of the scrubs sent up and not have to even think about DJ, Thornton, Dotel, bobby and such.

Agreed as well. Owens and Phillips will probably be the most useful callups we have. It's always nice to bring in extra pitchers in a blow out as well.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 12:53 PM)

I should have been clearer. I have no expectations, anything is a bonus. There may be one of those moments.