Anyone else hate our offseason moves?

Paulie4Pres

I think the OC trade was perfectly fine, it gave us a top of the order hitter which we desperately needed. Ask people outside of Chicago and they all think we got the better part of the deal. In hindsight maybe we overpaid for Swisher but I think he has been better than advertised in CF and keeps the clubhouse fun, not too mention great power from a CF.

The thing that makes our off-season a winner is Carlos Quentin, Alexi Ramirez, Linebrink, and Dotel. Without those 4 guys we are a much different team, Linebring being shutout in the 8th for first half of season and besides a few blowups Dotel has largely been a great setup guy. I dont really need to say much interms to what Quentin/Ramirez have brought to the team.

I just hope that KW does what it takes to keep us competitive next season, I'd definitely be a big fan of bringing in two guys for sure in Beltre and Orlando Hudson but besides that not sure what else KW would have up his sleeve.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Sep 4, 2008 -> 03:11 AM)
How was Jerry Owens in the leadoff spot last year, any worse than OC in the leadoff spot this year? Their stats are pretty much identical.... except Owens actually knows how to steal bases. But OC is a huge improvement huh? lol

Some of you guys have blinders on.

Cabrera is 18 for 22 in stolen bases. He has way more doubles than Owens would have had and more home runs then he would've had. And he's playing at a more premium position. He's replacing Uribe's 07 season, whilst Replacing Owens is a great Jermaine Dye, Carlos Quentin, and even at a bad year, Swish >>>erstad.

so yeah, poor offseason.

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:11 PM)
How was Jerry Owens in the leadoff spot last year, any worse than OC in the leadoff spot this year? Their stats are pretty much identical.... except Owens actually knows how to steal bases. But OC is a huge improvement huh? lol

LOL. NOT even close.

Seriously, if you want to state such strong opinions as facts, do yourself (and us) a favor and do your homework first.

Edited by scenario

Uribe and Cabrera aren't even in the same league as shortstops. Uribe will never approach what Cabrera does in an average year for OC at the plate. As far as defense, OC is just better. People are just fooled by Uribe's flashy plays. The fact is, he's a fatass and that restricts his range. His arm strength helps him sometimes, but arm strength doesn't get you to balls. In 2005, I was one of those who thought wow Uribe must be one of the best shortstops in the league. But he just isn't. Orlando Cabrera is better, and I laugh at people who say that not only is OC's defense inferior to Uribe's, but is so bad that it doesn't make up for his superior hitting.

And for those who want to use OPS or HR's to say Uribe last year is better than OC at the plate, the key to statistics is to use all indicators of performance. Cherry-picking the few numbers that contradict the majority doesn't fly with educated fans.

The reason that some of our fans aren't happy with OC is because I think many thought he needed to be an all-star and a dominator at the plate. He is consistently above average, which in itself is exceptional. They also expected him to commit very few errors or something, I'm not sure what more they can ask from his defense but apparently the few detrimental errors left quite a sting. The media disliking him has also affected fans' views on him. Nobody on this message board can know if his clubhouse presence is as publicized. The things that a leader does in the clubhouse are rarely publicized, not to mention it is hard to step in as the "leader" in your first and contractually final year on your team.

Wow...this thread has almost turned comical. Thank you CQMVP for putting the "unintentional comedy meter" at 10! Other things that approach a 10 on that meter: Steven Segal running. And the seriousness my daughters give America's Next Top Model.

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:11 PM)

Man, you gotta stop, please, stop.

You're complaining about off season moves that landed us: a near lock for MVP, a future all star 2b, a lock down bullpen (when healthy), an upgrade at SS, a high OBP guy who can play 4 positions and most importantly......a 1st place team. Are you insane or just ignorant? jesus

"By the way, why do people keep bringing up our improvement over last year? Seriously. Last year was one of the most underperforming White Sox teams I've watched in the last 10 years. We were picked to win the central last year with the team we had... Making zero changes to this team, we still would have improved dramatically over last year. There was no way not to."

Really? You want Tavares out in LF instead of Q? How about Andy gonzalez at SS and Ryan Buckvich pitching the 8th? Seriously, stop, you can't win.

Edited by Jenksy Cat

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:38 PM)
Uribe and Cabrera aren't even in the same league as shortstops. Uribe will never approach what Cabrera does in an average year for OC at the plate. As far as defense, OC is just better. People are just fooled by Uribe's flashy plays. The fact is, he's a fatass and that restricts his range. His arm strength helps him sometimes, but arm strength doesn't get you to balls. In 2005, I was one of those who thought wow Uribe must be one of the best shortstops in the league. But he just isn't. Orlando Cabrera is better, and I laugh at people who say that not only is OC's defense inferior to Uribe's, but is so bad that it doesn't make up for his superior hitting.

And for those who want to use OPS or HR's to say Uribe last year is better than OC at the plate, the key to statistics is to use all indicators of performance. Cherry-picking the few numbers that contradict the majority doesn't fly with educated fans.

Uribe > Cabrera defensively. Not much question in my mind.

But yes, Cabrera >>>>> Uribe offensively.