Best team in the AL?

southsider2k5

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)
I think Tampa Bay is the best team.

If they're healthy I agree...on paper. But they have a lot of ? guys who have been banged up. Longoria, Crawford, and perhaps most importantly their bullpen.

But that doesn't mean they will be able to hold on in a 7 game series against a veteran loaded team like Anaheim, or even Boston, or, let's hope, the better Sox. Sometimes playoff experience does matter (See: Detroit, 2006).

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 06:47 PM)
I think Tampa Bay is the best team.

^^^^

as of now I will go with that. No team in the AL looks that strong, nor does any team in the NL. The world series ring is up for grabs, goes to the team that gets hot at the right time...hopefully this CQ debacle gets this team hot

QUOTE (chiguy79 @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 11:57 AM)
Boston, 21-9 last 30 games...if Drew, Lowell, Beckett come back healthy they are the best.

The Angels are 8-1 vs Boston.

Also, they are 20-10 in their last 30, and are only 8-7 vs winning teams during that period. Not that impressive. We will see where they are after playing their next 13 against TB and TOR.

The Angels are a good team but they have been outplaying their Pythagorean by nine games. They've been fairly lucky and aren't head and shoulders above everyone else, in my opinion. I think we're better than them. I'd say Boston is the team to beat in the league, as much as I hate to say it.

Well if/when we win the division, we will play either TB or Bos (I don't think the WC comes out of the central). In that case, as bad as we have looked against TB, I'd still rather play them in a playoff series because:

-Home games for TB have are not a huge disadvantage (outside of the turfness) since nobody buys tickets

-They are young and have literally 0 playoff experience

-No Josh Beckett

The Halos and Rays have to be considered as the top favorites going into the postseason. Let's not also forget that the Red Sox are the defending champs. And even though they don't have the Ortiz-Manny duo anymore, they still have perhaps the most dangerous lineup. Only thing to be concerned with are these final weeks where they are going to be fighting for their respective division. That can lead to some overwork for their pitchers which would also have effect on the Rays. The Angels on the other hand can start resting their regulars to allow the young and inexperienced a chance to play.

Respectively, the White Sox are not a team to loose sleep over. This is a team that has relied a lot on three things this season and they are: pitching, Carlos Quentin, and the long ball. One of those three are out of the picture and now they have to take into consideration if they can continue to play at a level where they can be competitive enough to try and defeat teams that have a.) pitching b.) defense c.) play fundamental baseball d.) have various sources to winning (i.e. small ball).

QUOTE (Yoda @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 01:56 PM)
Respectively, the White Sox are not a team to loose sleep over. This is a team that has relied a lot on three things this season and they are: pitching, Carlos Quentin, and the long ball. One of those three are out of the picture and now they have to take into consideration if they can continue to play at a level where they can be competitive enough to try and defeat teams that have a.) pitching b.) defense c.) play fundamental baseball d.) have various sources to winning (i.e. small ball).

ehh I don't know about that. When 2-9 have a legitimate shot of hitting one 400ft, JD, a hot PK, Thome, Griffey, A-ram, and Swish. Los should be back in a month or by the playoffs and could help even more.

A healthy Linebrink, a Macdougal that has seemingly learned how to throw a strike again, and Jenks.

Boston is the best. I just hope we can hold off Minnie and take our chances of getting hot in the postseason.

Those first two playoff games are crazy. Play a night game, then a day game and you are 2 games into the series before you know what hit you.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 02:05 PM)
ehh I don't know about that. When 2-9 have a legitimate shot of hitting one 400ft, JD, a hot PK, Thome, Griffey, A-ram, and Swish. Los should be back in a month or by the playoffs and could help even more.

A healthy Linebrink, a Macdougal that has seemingly learned how to throw a strike again, and Jenks.

Did any of the above hit one against Cliff Lee? I didn't think so. Luckily no one will have to see him in the playoffs.