Baseball Prospectus

letsgoarow

The Twins have another 10 on the road coming up (as do the Sox too, but they also play KC and get a break before going to Minnesota while the Twins just play 10 straight on the road against pretty good teams) and their's also appears to a bit tougher. If the Sox want any time at all to make up ground lost - and this is assuming they win atleast 1 of the next 2 against Toronto - it will have to come this weekend against Detroit.

I still think the Sox find a way in but the lineup is hurting badly right now. It's time for Griffey to find a time machine and go back just 3 years.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
The Twins have another 10 on the road coming up (as do the Sox too, but they also play KC and get a break before going to Minnesota while the Twins just play 10 straight on the road against pretty good teams) and their's also appears to a bit tougher. If the Sox want any time at all to make up ground lost - and this is assuming they win atleast 1 of the next 2 against Toronto - it will have to come this weekend against Detroit.

I still think the Sox find a way in but the lineup is hurting badly right now. It's time for Griffey to find a time machine and go back just 3 years.

Love the sig quote.

Also, on BP, just remember that the BP formulas showed the Sox with a less than 100% chance of making the playoffs, AFTER they won the division, in 2005.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 08:47 PM)

don't the twinkies play at Baltimore this weekend?

Not even Peter Angelos would call the Orioles pretty good.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 08:10 PM)
don't the twinkies play at Baltimore this weekend?

Not even Peter Angelos would call the Orioles pretty good.

They are a .500 team at home. The Twins are sub-.500 on the road. Thus, the Orioles should be the favorite to win. They also have the 6th best offense in the AL in terms of runs scored.

"Pretty good" is also a general statement; the Orioles are a mediocre team talent wise, the Indians have a good team and pitching staff and an offense that has been better, and the Rays have a damn good team and pitching staff though how they keep winning games I do not know.

I'll bluntly say that I doubt the Twins will sweep the Orioles and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they lose the series.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 09:34 PM)
They are a .500 team at home. The Twins are sub-.500 on the road. Thus, the Orioles should be the favorite to win. They also have the 6th best offense in the AL in terms of runs scored.

"Pretty good" is also a general statement; the Orioles are a mediocre team talent wise, the Indians have a good team and pitching staff and an offense that has been better, and the Rays have a damn good team and pitching staff though how they keep winning games I do not know.

I'll bluntly say that I doubt the Twins will sweep the Orioles and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they lose the series.

Agreed. The Orioles also play in probably the toughest overall division in baseball. The Red Sox and Rays are probably the two best AL teams (I really don't think the Angels are that good; they benefit greatly from a suck ass division), the Blue Jays are actually a very good team (as we and the Twins found out this year), and the Yankees are in a down year but still throw a bunch of all-stars and HoF-caliber players at you each night.

The BP projections are based on the Sox's performance over the course of the season, meaning that they include Quentin and Konerko and Linebrink's performance in calculating the rest of the season. In addition, they consider Livan Hernandez's and Mike Lamb's and Adam Everett's performance for the Twins. That's obviously not going to be the case for the rest of the way. The Twins are a lot better now than their average team over the course of 2008 and the Sox are a lot worse than their average team over the course of 2008.