2008 = great year

fathom

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 07:08 PM)
I guess it depends on your perspective and expectations. I fully expected this team to be very competetive in this division, and I thought the division would be much better overall. So I don't see winning the AL Central as some odds defying accomplishment. I mean this was a team with a $120 M payroll and a veteran core of players. I would hope they'd be able to compete in this sad sack AL Central.

It was a good season. They won the division, but it was the 2nd worst division in baseball. They were also regularly outplayed by other good teams and we could make an argument that there were two other AL teams that were better than the White Sox who didn't make the playoffs (Toronto and the Yanks). It was nice to find some young players but this team is still very old and getting older. I'm not really seeing how it's going to get better next season.

Apparently you didn't notice last season, because there were few reasons to be optimistic heading into this season? Jerry Owens? Andy Gonzalez? Fields? Wasserman?

We won't be favored to win the division going into next season, probably 2nd or 3rd (unless we pull off something crazy like getting A-Rod and Ichiro simultaneously)...Cleveland, if they get a couple of more pitchers and shore up their bullpen, should be strong all season long, especially if Sabathia miraculously ended up there again (odds of that are approximately 2-3% with Dolan).

I would prefer to see the positives rather than dwell on the negatives. It was a very enjoyable season...the glass is half full.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very proud of our guys, from the GM to the bench players. THe resurgant love affair with the team and fans developed from game one. There's gonna be frustrating stretches, but we love our team. I just wish Sox Fest was accessable to more fans who'd like to show how much we appreciated them up close.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 07:22 PM)
I'm torn on how to feel right now. I have been at the Cell the last 4 games, and it has been exhausting. There is a part of me that will call this season a failure, as any season without a title is a failure, but big picture, it was a very productive year that hopefully is the opening of a new "window" of White Sox Baseball.

This is also my favorite time of year on the board, the dog days of winter with new rumors coming out daily, and terrible trade proposals by the hour.

Toby Hall, Boone Logan, Horacio Ramiez, Mike MacDougal and Wasserman for a back-up catcher who can actually throw someone out and occasionally demonstrate some power (like Miguel Olivo/John Buck/Henry Blanco).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 01:24 AM)
Toby Hall, Boone Logan, Horacio Ramiez, Mike MacDougal and Wasserman for a back-up catcher who can actually throw someone out and occasionally demonstrate some power (like Miguel Olivo/John Buck/Henry Blanco).

I don't know if he'll find a starting spot, but how about Pudge Rodriguez?

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 05:48 PM)
Only 5 teams in baseball had a longer season than the 2008 White Sox.

That's the bottom line, and one game longer than those North Siders, even.......... :drink

We win!

Thank you Chicago White Sox, for the excitement you did provide, when you didn't even figure to be near the top before this season began........

I'll be there rootin' 'em on next year, with the 2009 season being my 46th season as a White Sox fan.........

:headbang :gosox3: :gosox1: :gosox2: :headbang

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 07:26 PM)

If he actually understood that he was the backup, I'd be just fine with it. I also think that Ozzie likes and knows how to use AJ well enough that you could save his body and Ozzie wouldn't show the potential hall of famer any undue love. With Erstad and Griffey, it was atleast understandable, but with a veteran firmly entrenched at the position, Ozzie should be OK with it.

The sox had a great year. They far exceeded expectations of everyone, probably even KW. With the breakouts of two stellar young SP's in Danks, Floyd, an MVP type, #3 hitter in 26 yr old Quentin, and a SS to build the IF around in Ramirez, 2008 was a huge plus for the long term success of the Sox.

It was a very good year. The Sox did better then the so called experts predicted and I think they were an exciting ball club. Too bad injuries hampered us the second half. We missed Carlos Quentin, Joe Crede and Jose Contreraras and Konerko was hurt a lot also. But they battled on. I can't wait for 2009 to start.Just about 5 months left to go

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 07:22 PM)
I'm torn on how to feel right now. I have been at the Cell the last 4 games, and it has been exhausting. There is a part of me that will call this season a failure, as any season without a title is a failure, but big picture, it was a very productive year that hopefully is the opening of a new "window" of White Sox Baseball.

This is also my favorite time of year on the board, the dog days of winter with new rumors coming out daily, and terrible trade proposals by the hour.

So if the Rays don't win the World Series, you will consider their season a failure?

I know this is a hell of a time for a first post, but I’m inclined to agree with most of the sentiments expressed above. It truly is surreal to have so much invested in a team, and when they lose to feel oddly... content. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, because over the course of the year this organizations future has grown from mundane to surprisingly bright. The future is solid with Danks, Floyd, Quentin, and The Missile, and even Beckham, Danks P.2, Allen, and Poreda loom just on the horizon.

Also, Kenny Williams has really shown me something this year. Surprising to me, as I was a heavy proponent of his firing at the beginning of the year, but Kenny has proved himself a Shark. He's not afraid to wheel, and deal, and could give a damn what the public thinks of him. This year to an almost unprecedented sense we have seen the fruits of his labor and they are enviable.

Now for next year there are sill some parts to be addressed, but I have confidence that they will be filled to satisfaction.

So, let’s sum it up. A 17 game improvement, a new younger core, a revitalized GM, and a reenergized fan base. Plus some memories that will last forever. I mean, really, how could we be disappointed?

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 07:18 PM)
Apparently you didn't notice last season, because there were few reasons to be optimistic heading into this season? Jerry Owens? Andy Gonzalez? Fields? Wasserman?

We won't be favored to win the division going into next season, probably 2nd or 3rd (unless we pull off something crazy like getting A-Rod and Ichiro simultaneously)...Cleveland, if they get a couple of more pitchers and shore up their bullpen, should be strong all season long, especially if Sabathia miraculously ended up there again (odds of that are approximately 2-3% with Dolan).

I would prefer to see the positives rather than dwell on the negatives. It was a very enjoyable season...the glass is half full.

I said at the end of last season that I thought it was an aberration. I was one of the very few people here expecting this team to bounce back and win somewhere between 85-90 games. I mean this was a team of highly paid veterans with a WS championship and a 90 win season to their credit. Why shouldn't they be better than the 72 win season?

It's possible that I'm too harsh on this season because I'm just not very optimistic about next season. It looks to me like this team maxed out at 88 wins and I don't see significant improvement for next season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 08:26 PM)

I just don't think we can afford I-Rod (even as a back-up) and Uribe...maybe. I guess it depends on how much I-Rod overestimates his ability to be a starter still. His career is ending like Roberto Alomar's, very quietly.

I'm jealous of the Twins, Redmond is nearly the perfect one up there.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 08:35 PM)
I just don't think we can afford I-Rod (even as a back-up) and Uribe...maybe. I guess it depends on how much I-Rod overestimates his ability to be a starter still. His career is ending like Roberto Alomar's, very quietly.

I'm jealous of the Twins, Redmond is nearly the perfect one up there.

i never thought i would say this...but for this team im even jealous of the cubs...henry blanco is perfect for us (hits better vs. lefties, cannon of arm, plays good D, knows his role as back up)

its been so long since weve had a decent backup catcher....i know its not a big worry heading into next year, but christ toby hall was horrendous

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 07:32 PM)
I know this is a hell of a time for a first post, but I’m inclined to agree with most of the sentiments expressed above. It truly is surreal to have so much invested in a team, and when they lose to feel oddly... content. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, because over the course of the year this organizations future has grown from mundane to surprisingly bright. The future is solid with Danks, Floyd, Quentin, and The Missile, and even Beckham, Danks P.2, Allen, and Poreda loom just on the horizon.

Also, Kenny Williams has really shown me something this year. Surprising to me, as I was a heavy proponent of his firing at the beginning of the year, but Kenny has proved himself a Shark. He's not afraid to wheel, and deal, and could give a damn what the public thinks of him. This year to an almost unprecedented sense we have seen the fruits of his labor and they are enviable.

Now for next year there are sill some parts to be addressed, but I have confidence that they will be filled to satisfaction.

So, let’s sum it up. A 17 game improvement, a new younger core, a revitalized GM, and a reenergized fan base. Plus some memories that will last forever. I mean, really, how could we be disappointed?

Good post. Welcome to Soxtalk.

Edited by kjshoe04

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 09:33 PM)
I suppose it depends on what their goal was to start the year. If I'm a Rays fan however, and their goal isn't to win the World Series, I am dissapointed in my team.

the Rays have never won more than 70 games in a season. Of course everyone wants to win a WS but lets be real here.

I don't mind Toby...he's got a piss poor arm but he hit .377 against lefties this year. You can ask for more than that, but he was an adequate backup. It's just that he hit literally 200 points worse against righties and got more plate appearances against righties. If Toby's brought back, I'd ban the shaving cream pie unless it was something awesome, and I'd really try and limit his plate appearances against righties to under 40.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)
I have never, nor has anyone else, ever seen the Sox win a close race down the stretch against Minnesota specifically.

great point.

there were just too many ups and downs to ever feel this team was going to magically overcome their shortcomings. Winning the division was definitely sweet!

:gosoxretro:

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 07:33 PM)
I suppose it depends on what their goal was to start the year. If I'm a Rays fan however, and their goal isn't to win the World Series, I am dissapointed in my team.

Ask Williams what the goal was this season, and if expectations were met.

I am not trying to argue with you or change your mind, but when your highest finish ever is 4th place and you have only achieved that once and you make the playoffs for the first time in the history of your existence, and you win your first playoff series ever, to consider that season a failure if you don't win it all is pretty harsh, IMO.

while not happy, i am not sad either. kinda empty a little bit.

i mean going into this season, i didn't expect anything. i think i even picked us to finish 4th in the division. but come may and june, i started to taste the "pie" again. then starting to suck in september sucked ass. but coming back and doing what no other team in history has done (3 wins against 3 different teams in three consecutive games) was probably the 2nd best Sox feeling I have had in my life (the first was the whole 2005 season rolled into one). then to play this series and have our offense basically roll over, was kinda disheartening, but expected. its like i am in purgatory, where i can't feel horrible (like cub fans have to feel right now) but i also can't feel happy (like rays fans). its weird.

Junior is was fun seeing you in a Sox uniform. Here's to you: :drink :cheers :notworthy

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 08:53 PM)
I am not trying to argue with you or change your mind, but when your highest finish ever is 4th place and you have only achieved that once and you make the playoffs for the first time in the history of your existence, and you win your first playoff series ever, to consider that season a failure if you don't win it all is pretty harsh, IMO.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 08:59 PM)
It's a very valid argument, and to be honest, it's pretty much all semantics.

To me, every season a team should have a goal of winning the World Series. Obviously that objective isn't realistic for all 30 teams, but I would have a real hard time rooting for a franchise that doesn't have that goal year in and year out. Thats a big reason I give Williams my support.

Agreed 100% Tony, you get it. By definition, any time you don't win the world series, the season was a failure. Failed to win the world series, the only goal any organization should have. Again, not realistic for every team every season, but that doesn't mean you should lower expectations and be happy with division championships or just making the playoffs.

What does history have to do with this Rays season, or any season in general? Absolutely, positively nothing. Who cares that the Rays were a laughingstock for a long time? It's completely irrelevant. They won the tough AL East. They are a very good, legit team. Their goal and expectation should be to win the world series, and anything less than that is a disappointment.