Black Panthers + Night Sticks = Voter Intimidation

Jenksismyhero

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 12:49 PM)
I can't watch the video at work, but... how real is this? Any actual news on it yet?

An interview with the guy who called the cops - who had apparantly been there and gone by the time the reporter got there. But there was another "peaceful" pather at the door to the building which was also identified at his residence.

QUOTE (Steff @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 01:51 PM)
An interview with the guy who called the cops - who had apparantly been there and gone by the time the reporter got there. But there was another "peaceful" pather at the door to the building which was also identified at his residence.

What was the report? That some dude was hanging out outside a polling place with a billy club?

Seems like the po-po should have acted there. Seems like voter intimidation to me, if that's what happend (IF).

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 01:33 PM)
I didn't know the panthers were still around. Maybe these are same guys who carved the "B" into that girls face.

The Black Panthers and the New Black Panthers are not the same.

BTW, ole girl carved the B into her own face.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 12:54 PM)
What was the report? That some dude was hanging out outside a polling place with a billy club?

Seems like the po-po should have acted there. Seems like voter intimidation to me, if that's what happend (IF).

That was the report. But since the police supposedly had been there and gone - and all they did accorging to the guy that called them was ask they guy with the club to leave - there was no comment from them. The was another panther member there not bothering anyone. They show him on camera.

I can see the new slogan now. "Voter intimidation....It's not just for white people anymore." Seriouosly, what drives people to THAT level. The level of actual intimidation. Or of vote fraud. I understand people are passionate, but at what point in your mind does become acceptable to you to just break the law like that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 01:54 PM)

Id get you a "real" news source since Fox doesn't count, but CNN isn't reporting on it.

CNN Caller: Where's Your Report On Black Panther Voter Intimidation in Philly?

By Noel Sheppard (Bio | Archive)

November 4, 2008 - 13:33 ET

A man called in to CNN's Helpline on Tuesday wondering why the network hasn't reported the Black Panthers who were seen standing in front of a Philadelphia polling station this morning, one of them carrying a billy club.

According to the caller (audio available here), he was going to vote for Obama until a friend told him about this incident. The caller said, "Now Fox has broadcast this, and I want to know why CNN has not broadcast this yet."

Adding to the story, a group representing Election Journal just posted a video at YouTube of Black Panthers in front of a polling station at 1221 Fairmount in Philadelphia (video embedded below the fold):

Scary stuff to say the least...but will media report it? Stay tuned.

QUOTE (Steff @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 01:01 PM)
That was the report. But since the police supposedly had been there and gone - and all they did accorging to the guy that called them was ask they guy with the club to leave - there was no comment from them. The was another panther member there not bothering anyone. They show him on camera.

because the other guy was supposedly an official poll watcher who actually lived in the building. Not too much they could do there, especially sine the other guy supposedly had the weapon.

QUOTE (mreye @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 01:31 PM)
Anyone wearing a uniform, wielding a stick and wearing a scowl on their face while lying about being security is scary.

I agree. It's definitely an intimidating image. Wouldn't keep me from voting and voting for who I wanted, but it's still intimidation.

QUOTE (mreye @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 01:31 PM)
Anyone wearing a uniform, wielding a stick and wearing a scowl on their face while lying about being security is scary.

Oh, he was lying about being security? I must have missed that part. Good thing they asked him to leave, and him doing so without incident, then.

QUOTE (Steff @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 02:00 PM)
Oh, he was lying about being security? I must have missed that part. Good thing they asked him to leave, and him doing so without incident, then.

The one guy without the nitestick was an official pollwatcher and lived in the building. The other guy was apparently neither one.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 02:03 PM)
The one guy without the nitestick was an official pollwatcher and lived in the building. The other guy was apparently neither one.

Yea. I said that already ^ there.

It's only wrong if you don't agree with it. For example, I love the old machine-style way Daley got the vote out for Dems in the past. And you know, Capone and the other gangsters controlled that s*** in the 20s. Means justify ends - if you agree with it. If not, then it's bad.

Per TPM

Obama Volunteer On Scene Disputes Fox News' Suggestions That Black Panthers Are Intimidating Voters

By Greg Sargent - November 4, 2008, 3:04PM

Fox News and other conservatives on the Web are pushing hard on the story that two black panthers may be intimidating voters at a polling place in north Philadelphia.

But an Obama campaign volunteer who's been on the scene since 6:30 AM this morning tells me in a phone interview that there's been absolutely no intimidation of voters at all today. And a Pennsylvania spokesperson for Obama said the two men aren't in any way affiliated with the campaign.

Fox News' story is right here. It says one of two black panthers on the scene was "allegedly blocking the door," says another was "holding a nightstick." and adds that "the concern was that they were intimidating people who were trying to go inside to vote."

But Jacqueline Dischell, the Obama volunteer, tells me by phone that that's false.

Dischell confirms that there were in fact two black panthers guarding the polling place, a nursing home on Fairmont Avenue in north Philadelphia, earlier this morning.

But she says one was an officially designated poll watcher (it was not immediately clear which municipal office had designated him in that role), and the second was his friend. The second panther, who left two or three hours ago, was the one with the nightstick, she says.

Dischell says that earlier this morning a few men who identified themselves as being from the McCain campaign came and started taking pictures of the two panthers on their cell phones. She suggested that they seemed to be baiting the panthers, and that the designated watcher may have given one of them the finger in response to the picture taking.

The police came roughly an hour and a half later. She says she talked to the cops and told them there had been no incident. The police drove away without getting out of the car, she adds.

Some time later, a second, larger group of men whose affiliation couldn't be determined came with real cameras and started taking more pictures. Maybe 15 minutes later the cops returned. This time, they spoke to people on both sides, and told the panther not designated to watch the polls to leave, which he did without an argument.

"There was no fight, nothing," she says.

Fox News arrived on the scene at around that time and started interviewing people near the entrance. The building manager asked the Fox reporter to leave, she says, and he moved further from the entrance.

That's where things now stand. "There has been no fighting, no voter intimidation at all," she said.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 02:09 PM)
Means justify ends - if you agree with it. If not, then it's bad.

Many German's agreed with gassing the Jews. Was that not bad? Did the means justify the end? Not to pipcka fight or take a shot but that is the most idiotic statement i have heard on here in a while, and that includes a boatload from AHB.