ELECTION NIGHT RESULTS

Rex Kickass

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 12:35 AM)
Is it over the top to say that the conservative movement in its current form died in 2008?

I would tend to agree. This election was so age discriminated. The older the age the more support for McCain, and the younger the more support for Obama. That tells you right there that if the majority of this country aged 18-45 voted for Obama thats your trend for the future. Its those voters which will shape the next 25 years. The conservative movement, the bush or McCain supporters, are either going to eventually age and die, or become overtaken by a hungrier, larger, more technologically advanced group. AKA survival of the fittest.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 12:11 AM)
I would tend to agree. This election was so age discriminated. The older the age the more support for McCain, and the younger the more support for Obama. That tells you right there that if the majority of this country aged 18-45 voted for Obama thats your trend for the future. Its those voters which will shape the next 25 years. The conservative movement, the bush or McCain supporters, are either going to eventually age and die, or become overtaken by a hungrier, larger, more technologically advanced group. AKA survival of the fittest.

Some of this is going to your heads. This is a mandate here and now, just like President Bush was a mandate back in 2000 with a Republican majority. These things go in cycles, so slow your roll.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 01:26 AM)
Some of this is going to your heads. This is a mandate here and now, just like President Bush was a mandate back in 2000 with a Republican majority. These things go in cycles, so slow your roll.

So whats to say the cycle wont be 15 years or more. Republicans were in office from 1980 to 1992, thats 12 right there.

That's the good point,

There was a political scientist who looked at americas political history in terms of political cycles, with a creator, one who keeps those ideas, and then people who see it off.

It makes sense

Post civil war - G. Depression - Republicans

G. Depression - Reagan - New Deal Democrats

Reagan-Bush - Reagan Republicans

The people who grew with this latest dynasty are getting older. Meanwhile, this whole large younger demographic has a hard time believing in the ideals of the Reagan era when the Bush presidency was such a disaster. So Obama has a chance to build the next political era. I think he knows how heavy a task this is, but also the reason he went bottom up.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 01:36 AM)
That's the good point,

There was a political scientist who looked at americas political history in terms of political cycles, with a creator, one who keeps those ideas, and then people who see it off.

It makes sense

The people who grew with this latest dynasty are getting older. Meanwhile, this whole large younger demographic has a hard time believing in the ideals of the Reagan era when the Bush presidency was such a disaster. So Obama has a chance to build the next political era. I think he knows how heavy a task this is, but also the reason he went bottom up.

Yeah what he said. Im 24 years old and for once I am excited about politics in this country. It just feels like its our turn now, a generation adept at new technology, science, and media. Who doesn't want to do things like they were done in the past, who doens't know how.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 12:36 AM)
That's the good point,

It makes sense

You know what also changes the demographics. Life changes. Marriage, children, a mortgage, making more money. These all change your personal views. I am sure that a single person making 20k welcomes the social programs and tax breaks meanwhile fast forward that same person to 33 making a lot more with kids having a different view on their giving their hard earned money to the government. Hell I used to a be a hard core democrat, knocking on doors, precinct captain, working as an election judge, getting tapes back to headquarters for the election party. Then I started to see my party move further to the left, and I was moving further to the right. People change, views move and change based on your life changes.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 06:42 AM)
You know what also changes the demographics. Life changes. Marriage, children, a mortgage, making more money. These all change your personal views. I am sure that a single person making 20k welcomes the social programs and tax breaks meanwhile fast forward that same person to 33 making a lot more with kids having a different view on their giving their hard earned money to the government. Hell I used to a be a hard core democrat, knocking on doors, precinct captain, working as an election judge, getting tapes back to headquarters for the election party. Then I started to see my party move further to the left, and I was moving further to the right. People change, views move and change based on your life changes.

I understand that. But historically speaking you see these dynasty cycles, and I have a hard time believing that Obama's presidency and a majority in both houses is still in the midst of a cycle. It's the beginning of another one. And as these shifts you are talking about happening, it is moving towards the dems as seen by these shifts in VA and NC.

I think a lot of it is overstated. I mean the margins nationally aren't exactly anything that screams mandate. But there's no denying that America will continue to trend more socially liberal, if not in perpetuity, for as long as it takes until we truly reach full equality.

If the Republican party wants to cling to their current anti-gay platform, they'll be completely irrelevant in the not-all-that-distant future. If they continue to be the party which seeks to suppress science (Global warming, stem cell research, etc.) and rely heavily on the undereducated (no-college whites were the least likely of any cross section to vote for Obama) in an increasingly educated electorate, they will find themselves completely marginalized.

In short, the Republican party will have to evolve (if they believe such a thing can occur), not necessarily in the next election, or even in the one after that, but in the next generation. The Republican party, which I have no doubt will still alive and well 40, or 52, or 64 years from now, will be a completely different party when the second female president of the United States gives her acceptance speech, kisses the next first lady, and walks off stage, the first openly-gay president.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE (Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 01:52 AM)
I think a lot of it is overstated. I mean the margins nationally aren't exactly anything that screams mandate. But there's no denying that America will continue to trend more socially liberal, if not in perpetuity, for as long as it takes until we truly reach full equality.

If the Republican party wants to cling to their current anti-gay platform, they'll be completely irrelevant in the not-all-that-distant future. If they continue to be the party which seeks to suppress science (Global warming, stem cell research, etc.) and rely heavily on the undereducated (no-college whites were the least likely of any cross section to vote for Obama) in an increasingly educated electorate, they will find themselves completely marginalized.

In short, the Republican party will have to evolve (if they believe such a thing can occur), not necessarily in the next election, or even in the one after that, but in the next generation. The Republican party, which I have no doubt will still alive and well 40, or 52, or 64 years from now, will be a completely different party when the second female president of the United States gives her acceptance speech, kisses the next first lady, and walks off stage, the first openly-gay president.

Great post.

QUOTE (Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 12:52 AM)

For me, the party will evolve through attrition. A party based more of fiscal conservatives looking at small government and strong defense will be the future. Right now the religious right has the parties ear and its taken it away from the centrist point of view. To win an election you start with rallying your core, then moving towards the center. The republicans were so worried about the fringe groups they never moved to center, which is a shock because McCain is more center than a lot of the party. The dems have their own fringe groups that don't associate with the centrist point of view. If over the next 4 years, Obama caters to that group only and ignores the middle ground he will suffer a similar revolt. He will have to resist the pull to the left, and stay as close to the center as he can.

In Illinois we have seen a smaller version of this. We went from the Edgars and Thompsons to the Topinkas and Oberweises running for major parties. The Illinois Republican party outside of Dupage County is a complete disaster. They need to get better candidates that can get back to a message that people can associate with. Now all we have is candidates trying to make sure that they are not George Bush.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 02:17 AM)
Indiana is BLUUEEEEE

MO is tied by I'd bet McCain wins

NC has 100% reporting and Obama up 11 Gs, but not called. The map looks beautiful

I cant believe Indiana went to Obama, has it ever gone blue before? And NC too, unbelievable. Like I was saying seems the country's sentiment really wants to get as far away from the republican ideologies and policies we have seen the last 8 years. You just had Indiana and NC vote maybe for the most liberal president ever. That says a lot man, A LOT.

P.S. My poker analogy: McCain was drawing dead after the flop but saw his hand out till after the river.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE (joeynach @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 02:45 AM)
I cant believe Indiana went to Obama, has it ever gone blue before?

LBJ, 1964

EDIT: Same thing with Virginia, 1964 was the last time it went blue.

Edited by bschmaranz

Just want to make a couple points...

1) Though I don't agree with much of Obama's economic policy, he is the 44th President of the United States of America and I have the utmost respect for the man. He seems to be a genuinely good guy. There are definitely some important things (e.g. education) that need to be addressed in our country and I hope he can lead us in the right direction. I just hope he has the balls to not let crazy-ass Pelosi and other wacky dems dictate the next 4 years with a democratic congress. If he doesn't agree with some of their radical bulls***, then he needs to say so, though it will be hard being in the same party and all...

2) I'm sorry, but if you cried when Obama was announced as the victor and you weren't on his immediate staff or a family member, that's just ridiculous. All those people crying looked like fools at the Obama rally. I would never have cried if McCain was elected. I understand being happy, but tears of joy are over the top.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 03:12 AM)

1) Though I don't agree with much of Obama's economic policy, he is the 44th President of the United States of America and I have the utmost respect for the man. He seems to be a genuinely good guy. There are definitely some important things (e.g. education) that need to be addressed in our country and I hope he can lead us in the right direction. I just hope he has the balls to not let crazy-ass Pelosi and other wacky dems dictate the next 4 years with a democratic congress. If he doesn't agree with some of their radical bulls***, then he needs to say so, though it will be hard being in the same party and all...

2) I'm sorry, but if you cried when Obama was announced as the victor and you weren't on his immediate staff or a family member, that's just ridiculous. All those people crying looked like fools at the Obama rally. I would never have cried if McCain was elected. I understand being happy, but tears of joy are over the top.

I agree with you on point 1 and disagree on point 2

1) I agonized who I was going to vote for, and decided to vote for McCain (knowing full-well he wouldn't win) because I disagree with Obama's economic policies. That being said, I am 100% supporter of Obama from now until I have reason to be. Barack Obama is going to be President of the United States, and he deserves the support of all Americans until (if ever) he proves unworthy of that support. I hope that President Obama is fair with his economic policies and is successful beyond anyone's imagination.

2) While I probably wouldn't have cried, I am really happy to see so many people genuinely enthusiastic about being a part of the political process. I'm not black, so I cannot fathom the amount of pride the black community feels tonight. I'm not going tell, or mock anyone who feels emotion over what was a truly historic night. Black or White this did represent the affirmation of the American Dream for many...

My feelings on the GOP: George Bush ruined the brand. The amount of pettiness, the disregard for the constitution, the big government, the scary foreign policy choices, all of it... he just led the country in a poor direction, ruined his legacy, and took the GOP down with him. The GOP supported Bush in a lot of these decisions and they are rightly paying for their mistakes. I consider myself a moderate (economically conservative, socially liberal) and I think the best way for the GOP to get attract voters like myself is to be more pragmatic about the traditionally conservative issues (abortion, gay-marriage, evolution, gun control etc...) and to get back to the fiscally responsible politics that brought many to the party in the first place. That is not to say that the GOP must ostracize the social conservatives in the process, but rather be more receptive to the fact that there is a decidedly gray area in between the yes and no answers the republicans have proposed for the last 8 years.

anyways, I liked reading this thread. congrats to all the obama supporters, but more importantly God Bless America.

:usa

It's not that that I'm talking about. It's that the Republican party is in shambles at the moment. They have a lot of work to do.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 5, 2008 -> 04:12 AM)

These events can be incredibly emotional. People that go to these events are hugely emotionally invested in what happens. I've been to victory parties that weren't and tears flow. I've been to victory parties that are and the same things happen. When your spending months, or in this case, two years on an emotional rollercoaster, the end of it, successful or otherwise, will bring a lot of people to tears.