There's spreading your message, and then there's just being of

sox4lifeinPA

Link

3_62_111108_busad2_320.jpg

I get it, anyone can spread their message... but "why believe in god? be good for goodness sake" is just offensive for the sake of grabbing headlines.

if these signs just said "be good for goodness sake" no one would care = no one would bother to be interested with this organization. This is the same thing as the "God Hates f**s" people.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 07:27 PM)
Link

I get it, anyone can spread their message... but "why believe in god? be good for goodness sake" is just offensive for the sake of grabbing headlines.

if these signs just said "be good for goodness sake" no one would care = no one would bother to be interested with this organization. This is the same thing as the "God Hates f**s" people.

well, if you think thats bad, i just saw a clip of protestors at a mormon church or something and the basically attacked an old lady grabbing a cross out of her hand and smashing it all jumping on it and going crazy.

those protestors are definitely getting into the Fred Phelps category.

QUOTE (sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 01:27 AM)
Link

Why is that offensive? It's an honest question.

QUOTE (sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 08:00 PM)
I'm sure a poster that read "why be gay? chicks are hot" would be embraced by the gay community.

that would be funny too. i don't see that or the 'why believe in God?' as offensive. but i'm not a good baramoter for what is offensive or not.

I don't give a crap, they could go to hell for all I care. Actually, they will go to hell, HA!

But you know if that sign said why believe in allah, or something like that (sox4lifeinpa's post about the why be gay was a good example)... there'd be nothing but protests.

Edited by BearSox

I see nothing wrong with their message. It's a little abrasive, but I've been told plenty of times by religious people that you cannot possibly be a moral or good person without religion.

"Be good for the sake of being good" isn't anywhere near equivalent to "chicks are hot."

Then again, being good for "goodness sake" isn't mutually exclusive of religious belief.

I don't see a need why people need to advertise this though. A good majority of americans, and people in general, have some belief in a greater being. I don't see why anyone's belief in god should be questioned. It's the groups money, but it's a big waste of money, as I highly doubt anyone who believes in god would suddenly change their mind about their belief by one stupid add. It might attract some atheists who are out to get christians, but that's about it, IMO.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 08:48 PM)
I don't see a need why people need to advertise this though. A good majority of americans, and people in general, have some belief in a greater being. I don't see why anyone's belief in god should be questioned. It's the groups money, but it's a big waste of money, as I highly doubt anyone who believes in god would suddenly change their mind about their belief by one stupid add. It might attract some atheists who are out to get christians, but that's about it, IMO.

Why do I see cars covered with Jesus fish stickers on the highway everyday?

Some people feel the need to advertise to others what their beliefs are. It goes both ways.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 08:54 PM)
Why do I see cars covered with Jesus fish stickers on the highway everyday?

Some people feel the need to advertise to others what their beliefs are. It goes both ways.

Putting a jesus fish on the back of your car is completely different than putting out ads on buses telling people pretty much that there is no need for god. Man, those two things aren't even comparable.

If anything, a jesus fish is an expression of someone's belief in god while this stupid bus ad is trying to convert people to atheism.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 07:13 PM)
Putting a jesus fish on the back of your car is completely different than putting out ads on buses telling people pretty much that there is no need for god. Man, those two things aren't even comparable.

If anything, a jesus fish is an expression of someone's belief in god while this stupid bus ad is trying to convert people to atheism.

What do you consider a Darwin fish to be?

QUOTE (The Bones @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 08:24 PM)
Ah yes...I see we can have God and Jesus shoved down our throats every block of every town in the nation but 1 ad campaign asking why people believe in an invisible man in the clouds is just taking it way too far.

I'd never believe in an invisible man in the clouds. That's pretty silly.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 09:15 PM)
What do you consider a Darwin fish to be?

The same thing as a Jesus fish, someone's expression of what they believe. Just like a Jesus fish, a dawrin fish doesn't try to convert people. I don't see how a Jesus fish is any different than a sox flag someone might have on their car.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 07:17 PM)
The same thing as a Jesus fish, someone's expression of what they believe. Just like a Jesus fish, a dawrin fish doesn't try to convert people.

Interesting. I asked that question to see if you followed the same line of thinking and you did. I like the consistency. I'm going to go slap my Darwin fish back on my Civic.

QUOTE (sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 07:27 PM)
Link

I honestly do not have a problem with it. At the most basic level it is a step in the right direction, people being good. Currently there is a lot of hypocrites among the good for goodness sake crowd.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
Interesting. I asked that question to see if you followed the same line of thinking and you did. I like the consistency. I'm going to go slap my Darwin fish back on my Civic.

Obviously I don't agree with those stupid darwin fish, and I think people who don't believe in god will go to hell (I'll probably be down there as well, so don't worry), but everyone has a right to their opinion... no matter how stupid or idiotic it may be ;)

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 09:21 PM)
I honestly do not have a problem with it. At the most basic level it is a step in the right direction, people being good. Currently there is a lot of hypocrites among the good for goodness sake crowd.

I get the group doesn't believe in God, but it wasn't a smart move by them. It basically seems like they are intentionally trying to attack anyone who believes in God. A much better slogan would have been something like "You don't have to believe in God to be good." Or, they could have simply took away the "Why believe in God?" and just had the "Be good for goodness sake" there.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 09:24 PM)
I get the group doesn't believe in God, but it wasn't a smart move by them. It basically seems like they are intentionally trying to attack anyone who believes in God. A much better slogan would have been something like "You don't have to believe in God to be good." Or, they could have simply took away the "Why believe in God?" and just had the "Be good for goodness sake" there.

Come on, it goes both ways.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 09:28 PM)
Come on, it goes both ways.

I don't even know what that's from.

I think it's just silly for a group to try and denounce god when clearly the majority of the population does believe in god, or at least some sort of higher being.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 09:16 PM)
I'd never believe in an invisible man in the clouds. That's pretty silly.

Just on a side note, the argument that only stupid people believe in God is actually quite false. Unless of course the likes of Albert Einstein, Steven Hawkings, and Wernser Heisenberg are all dumb.

But of course science and religion should not be taught as one.