Tipping

jasonxctf

am I the only person who is getting annoyed with the whole concept of tipping. say bah humbug if you want, but it's insane. Waitresses, Starbucks, hotel workers, cab drivers, flower delivery guys, etc... when is getting paid to do your job, not enough.

shouldn't tipping be used to reward those who go above-and-beyond, not just the bare minimum?

should i start tipping the employees at McDonalds now too?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (juddling @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 01:52 PM)
i don't mind tipping a waitress but when i go to a place like my local Dairy Queen and see a tip jar....i just shake my head.

lol. Yeah. Anytime there is just a run-of-the-mill cashier with a tip jar I just ignore it. Why should I tip you?

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 12:44 PM)
am I the only person who is getting annoyed with the whole concept of tipping. say bah humbug if you want, but it's insane. Waitresses, Starbucks, hotel workers, cab drivers, flower delivery guys, etc... when is getting paid to do your job, not enough.

shouldn't tipping be used to reward those who go above-and-beyond, not just the bare minimum?

should i start tipping the employees at McDonalds now too?

Anyone who is delivering to you should get tipped IMO, but I am a former delivery driver, so I may be a bit opinionated on this. I always looked at it as "If you dont want to get off your ass to get your own food, and you want me to bring it to you, you should acknowledge that you didnt want to get off your own ass and compensate the driver/waitress/hotel worker."

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)
Anyone who is delivering to you should get tipped IMO, but I am a former delivery driver, so I may be a bit opinionated on this. I always looked at it as "If you dont want to get off your ass to get your own food, and you want me to bring it to you, you should acknowledge that you didnt want to get off your own ass and compensate the driver/waitress/hotel worker."

yea gotta tip a food delivery person

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)

I agree and that's just it. Give me the option to flag down a cab, or carry my own bags, or open my own doors. I'd be more than happy to do all of it myself. But they throw a block before you can do any of it yourself and then they hold out their hand. GMAFB.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 02:32 PM)
If you could afford to eat out then you could afford to tip. I hate splitting the check with cheap asses(I'm looking at my Fiances brother-in-law) . I've come very close to asking for separate checks the last couple times out.

I work hard for the money I spend in restaurants. If servers work for tips, then they should WORK hard for them too. 15% if service is what I expect, 20% or more if it's above and beyond, 10% if it sucked. That's fair.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)

Delivery drivers are in the "ok to expect tip" category.

The guy at the cleaners who is charging me 10 bucks to adjust the hem in my pants is in the "shouldn't expect anything outside of what I just paid you" category. The same goes for the cashier at the Chinese restaurant when I order takeout.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 03:36 PM)
I work hard for the money I spend in restaurants. If servers work for tips, then they should WORK hard for them too. 15% if service is what I expect, 20% or more if it's above and beyond, 10% if it sucked. That's fair.

I agree completely.

I don't mind tipping waiters and waitresses. In fact, for just average service I will tip at least 20% and round up. However, I dodn't want to tip someone handing me a paper towel to dry my hands with in the men's room like I have encountered in some places in Chicago. I'm perfectly capable of getting my own paper towels.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 03:47 PM)
I don't mind tipping waiters and waitresses. In fact, for just average service I will tip at least 20% and round up. However, I dodn't want to tip someone handing me a paper towel to dry my hands with in the men's room like I have encountered in some places in Chicago. I'm perfectly capable of getting my own paper towels.

what about the little baskets of candy some of them have? :lolhitting

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 01:48 PM)
I hate going out to eat with a very large group because you'll always get that one ass clown that isn't ok with splitting the check equally. If you only had a salad and no drinks then maybe you should have stayed home.

I'll go with the flow on that scenario, either way. I don't want to judge someone because I don't know what their situation is. And yes, maybe they should have stayed home but if the wanted the pleasure of the group of friends and were willing to do so and be frugal, why should they be expected to pick up a more than their share?

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 01:51 PM)
I'll go with the flow on that scenario, either way. I don't want to judge someone because I don't know what their situation is. And yes, maybe they should have stayed home but if the wanted the pleasure of the group of friends and were willing to do so and be frugal, why should they be expected to pick up a more than their share?

I should have been a little more precise. It's when everyone needs to put in a $10 and there's that one person that pulls out their calculator that says they only owe $8.25.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 01:55 PM)
I should have been a little more precise. It's when everyone needs to put in a $10 and there's that one person that pulls out their calculator that says they only owe $8.25.

In that case, I agree. You just have someone there that is so tight they squeek when they walk.

My biggest conundrum is what to do when doing carryout. There is a fair amount of work that goes into taking the order, placing it, and wrapping it all up with the extras, etc. I still wouldn't have ever thought of tipping if I wasn't compelled to by the tip line when signing my credit card slip. I do 10% but I get s*** from the wife everytime. What's the proper etiquette here?

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
I don't mind tipping waiters and waitresses. In fact, for just average service I will tip at least 20% and round up. However, I don't want to tip someone handing me a paper towel to dry my hands with in the men's room like I have encountered in some places in Chicago. I'm perfectly capable of getting my own paper towels.

I pretty much tip 20% all the time. Even if I've been like where the f*** is the waiter/waitress or something during dinner....when the check comes I still always give the same. I agree with the paper towel thing too....it's just a F-up situation because they take all the towels so you have to take theirs....then it's like I'm supposed to give you something...It's like you're being strong armed and then when I'm on my 5th piss of the night, I feel bad and end up giving them a buck.

The thing I hate doing, but I always do anyway is tip the bartender when they get me a beer. You're f***in back there behind the bar to serve drinks...you turned around pulled a beer out of a cooler and handed it to me...here's your money and dollar tip.

QUOTE (maggliopipe @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 02:12 PM)
My biggest conundrum is what to do when doing carryout. There is a fair amount of work that goes into taking the order, placing it, and wrapping it all up with the extras, etc. I still wouldn't have ever thought of tipping if I wasn't compelled to by the tip line when signing my credit card slip. I do 10% but I get s*** from the wife everytime. What's the proper etiquette here?

I'd be interested to hear everyone's comments on this too.

QUOTE (maggliopipe @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 02:12 PM)

hmmm...I've never tipped for carryout. I figured the tip line is there because they use the same system for all their orders in or out.