Tipping

jasonxctf

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 09:01 PM)
It's not fast food if you sit down and the food is brought to you.

If I order it at a counter and it's ready in 5 minutes, it's fast food.

I'm not tipping someone to walk 25 feet looking for a number. If they were refreshing my drinks and checking to make sure everything is going OK, it's a different story. But not for 30 seconds of their time.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 04:17 PM)
Well I'm salaried, but my annual pay increase is based off performance, if I suck, then I get a sucky/nonexistent raise. :huh

Same here but our raises are so small it's almost not worth it. Our average raise is only 2%. If I really work my ass off and go above and beyond I might get it bumped up to 3%.

I work for Domino's as a delivery driver

I get paid 6.50 and hour and 90 cents per delivery I make.. However, if I take two deliveries at once I only get paid the 90 cents plus 40 extra cents for the second one.. If I take three I don't get any extra for the third one.

I bring this up because on Friday and Saturday nights when it gets busy as s***, I am usually taking 2-3 at a time which by the end of the night adds up to me losing 10 bucks or so because of that.

Gas prices are $1.59 here now and I usually have to fill up every 2-3 shifts depending on how busy it is and how many deliveries I have to take. (Not busy days usually around 10-13 and busy days 25+)

There are a LOT of people who don't tip and im not sure why they feel they shouldn't tip the delivery driver. I will even go as far to say that a $1 tip for the driver is totally unacceptable. Ide venture to guess the usual tip I get is $2 which still isn't that great but at least if I take 20 deliveries and avg. 2 bucks per delivery I will have made $40 from tips and about $15-18 or so from mileage (from the store) pending how many deliveries I took at a time. That would leave me with $55-60 cash when I leave that night plus the $6.50 an hour for however long I was there.

When people order like 4 large pizzas, a couple sides, and a drink and I have to haul that s*** to my car and then to the third floor of your apartment after I figure out what side the apartment is on (Worst thing ever, walking up 3 flights of stairs with all that s*** only to find out their goofy numbering system puts their apartment on the other side so you have to go all the way down then all the way back up) and then when they ask how much it was again and you say $45.71 and they hand you $48 its like the biggest disappointment ever.

And if you are one of those people who don't tip and your order is $19.80 don't hand the driver a $20 and say "Keep the change" because that's like the most insulting thing ever.

I think that $3 should be your automatic tip for a delivery driver no matter what and if you want to give more than that its at your own discretion.

And I will just throw this out there, but its almost never the drivers fault that your pizza is late. I hate when we get so busy that it takes about an hour or so to get someone their pizza and they want to take it out on the driver like its my fault. On a Friday night like they are the only people in town ordering pizza and I just went out of my way to make sure they had to wait an extra 30 mins to eat. They open the door and are like "My pizza was supposed to be here 25 minutes ago." And all I can say is "Im sorry, were really busy tonight." And then I get no tip and the door slammed in my face. Its crazy sometimes.

Anyways, as far as tipping goes I go out of my way to give a lot more than the percentages. One time I went out to eat at this place with my friends and watch a UFC fight and my bill was $16 something and I gave the chick $40 and told her to keep it. I know how s***ty it is to get stiffed so I at least try to make sure that I can help someone to make up for those jerks who don't feel like they should tip.

And I absolutely can not stand the bathroom attendant. You have NO CHOICE about it, if you try to walk to the sink hes all over you and how could you say no thanks? Im not even gonna lie, I just walk right out the door. I don't care about washing my hands after taking a piss if that guy is in there, its not like im sticking my hands in my mouth or touching food anyways. So when im at a bar and the bathroom guy is in there, I pee and then bolt out the door.

When I order anything, I try my hardest to give at least 2 bucks and change. When it goes over that, I try to round it to work with the money I'm giving. I almost never ask for any money back. If I'm giving the money, and the tip is like $4.95, I don't ask for any money back. It has to work out to more than 5 bucks.

When I tip, it's almost always 20% (unless the service is amazing/horrendous).

But here's a question: Do you tip the pre-tax amount or the amount after tax? I've been told you shouldn't include tax in the tip, and if that's true, then tips should be less. But, I feel like a cheap bastard for doing that, so I always tip based on the post-tax total.

Edited by dasox24

I used to tip a dollar for every round of drinks, sometimes two dollars if there were four or more drink in a round. There was a time when after the third tip, the next round was on the house. I thought that was common bar knowledge. I'll hook you up and you hook me up. Not any more. Most of the time bartenders serve the drink and turn their back. They have no idea who tipped them or how much....so whenever that's the case, I don't tip them at all.

Maybe its a little different, but having a wife as a teacher, she has a bunch of former and current students as servers, not to mention cooks and table cleaners, so we try to keep them happy.

As little as those people get paid, we do try to keep that in mind as long as service is reasonable. We go for a standard 20% tip, and go down to 10% or so if things are really bad. My preference also is to contact management for any extreme cases, both good and bad. I very rarely get delivery, because in the end it is cheaper to go get it myself, not to mention much quicker.

In the end, we try to be generous with tips and not to think of it as something that is a penalty.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 28, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
I over tip the delivery guys and Iam convinced that is why I get my food super fast.I ordered when I was leaving work and Ricobenes beat me home one time and it is longer from there to my house than it is from my work to my house.

Thats because it is why you get your food super fast

Drivers know certain places that tip well and the ones that don't, and if you are in the ones that don't category don't expect a speedy delivery..

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 28, 2008 -> 04:34 PM)
I ordered when I was leaving work and Ricobenes beat me home one time and it is longer from there to my house than it is from my work to my house.

Haha, that's impressive... I don't even know how they did that.

QUOTE (CubKilla @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 12:52 AM)
Cheapskates.

Tip everyone. If someone does something above and beyond the usual, they deserve a tip. ESPECIALLY when you're on vacation. Jesus Christ..... I never knew so many SOX fans were so CHEAP.

Um, I think everyone is saying just that. Tip based on level of service. No one said don't tip.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 27, 2008 -> 04:02 AM)
When I tip, it's almost always 20% (unless the service is amazing/horrendous).

But here's a question: Do you tip the pre-tax amount or the amount after tax? I've been told you shouldn't include tax in the tip, and if that's true, then tips should be less. But, I feel like a cheap bastard for doing that, so I always tip based on the post-tax total.

You tip the pre-tax amount. For my sister who is bad at math I tell her to just double the tax amount (8% X 2 = 16%) to figure out a reasonable tip

Also, if you have a coupon or eat somewhere where it's half-price whatever day, you tip based on what the bill would be without the discount. The people I work with don't seem to know this. I feel like an ass being in a party with people who leave a 75-cent tip for a bill that would normally be over ten bucks

QUOTE (Shadows @ Nov 27, 2008 -> 12:03 AM)
There are a LOT of people who don't tip and im not sure why they feel they shouldn't tip the delivery driver. I will even go as far to say that a $1 tip for the driver is totally unacceptable. Ide venture to guess the usual tip I get is $2 which still isn't that great but at least if I take 20 deliveries and avg. 2 bucks per delivery I will have made $40 from tips and about $15-18 or so from mileage (from the store) pending how many deliveries I took at a time. That would leave me with $55-60 cash when I leave that night plus the $6.50 an hour for however long I was there.

When people order like 4 large pizzas, a couple sides, and a drink and I have to haul that s*** to my car and then to the third floor of your apartment after I figure out what side the apartment is on (Worst thing ever, walking up 3 flights of stairs with all that s*** only to find out their goofy numbering system puts their apartment on the other side so you have to go all the way down then all the way back up) and then when they ask how much it was again and you say $45.71 and they hand you $48 its like the biggest disappointment ever.

And if you are one of those people who don't tip and your order is $19.80 don't hand the driver a $20 and say "Keep the change" because that's like the most insulting thing ever.

I think that $3 should be your automatic tip for a delivery driver no matter what and if you want to give more than that its at your own discretion.

And I will just throw this out there, but its almost never the drivers fault that your pizza is late. I hate when we get so busy that it takes about an hour or so to get someone their pizza and they want to take it out on the driver like its my fault. On a Friday night like they are the only people in town ordering pizza and I just went out of my way to make sure they had to wait an extra 30 mins to eat. They open the door and are like "My pizza was supposed to be here 25 minutes ago." And all I can say is "Im sorry, were really busy tonight." And then I get no tip and the door slammed in my face. Its crazy sometimes.

Anyways, as far as tipping goes I go out of my way to give a lot more than the percentages. One time I went out to eat at this place with my friends and watch a UFC fight and my bill was $16 something and I gave the chick $40 and told her to keep it. I know how s***ty it is to get stiffed so I at least try to make sure that I can help someone to make up for those jerks who don't feel like they should tip.

Coming from an ex-delivery driver, I agree with everything you just said. I had one lunch shift that I delivered an $88 order to a birthday party and got a big fat $0, the next delivery was $140, and I got about 2 bucks, and an hour later I delivered another $100 order and got nothing. At the end of my shift, I looked at my total delivery amount and calculated the percentage of tips I got and came up with 3.6 percent. To say I was furious would be a massive understatement.

And I understand some people dont have the money to tip and blah blah blah. All I ever asked for was civility, and some people are just complete dicks about not tipping. the old 20 bucks for a $19.80 order and the "keep the change" mantra IS the most insulting thing you could do or say.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 09:17 AM)
Coming from an ex-delivery driver, I agree with everything you just said. I had one lunch shift that I delivered an $88 order to a birthday party and got a big fat $0, the next delivery was $140, and I got about 2 bucks, and an hour later I delivered another $100 order and got nothing. At the end of my shift, I looked at my total delivery amount and calculated the percentage of tips I got and came up with 3.6 percent. To say I was furious would be a massive understatement.

And I understand some people dont have the money to tip and blah blah blah. All I ever asked for was civility, and some people are just complete dicks about not tipping. the old 20 bucks for a $19.80 order and the "keep the change" mantra IS the most insulting thing you could do or say.

The way to handle that 20 cent tip is to come back 5 minutes later with the 20 cents in change. It makes him feel like an ass to accept 20 cents back from you and you also made him get up from his meal.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 09:17 AM)

My thought process is, if you have enough money to order pizza you have enough money to toss me a couple bucks.. You wouldn't be ordering pizza if $3 dollars for a tip is going to set you back..

And yeah, those huge orders with no tips are awful.. I HATE delivering orders that are 10+ large pizzas and then getting stiffed..

If you aren't gonna tip, just hand me the money and say thanks or just shut the door.. don't tell me "keep the change" because I don't even carry change on me and wouldn't give you any if you asked for it anyways (Coin change that is). I had someone ask me for their 27 cents back one time and I was just like "Uh, we don't carry actual change" and they said ok and let it be.

I think tipping has become ridiculous. Everywhere you look there are tip jars or someone is telling you that you should tip this person or that. I have no problem tipping servers, bartenders and delivery drivers.

I don't understand tipping someone who cuts your hair sometimes. If you get your hair done by appt and have a regular person who cuts your hair and you like their work, then by all means take care of them. If they work you in at the last minute, tip them. But if you go to a walk in place, why should that person expect a tip? I never understood tipping hotel maids. Cab drivers? Why, unless they do something specific to deserve one? Bathroom attendants? whatever - I can get my own towel

And don't get me started on tip jars at concession stands at sporting events. What the hell is that? I'm sure there are others I am not thinking about at the moment, but that's enough for now. Lest anyone think I am a cheapskate, I am a former bartender who fully understands what it is like to be a tipped employee.

Lastly, I am an even number tipper. When eating out at a restaurant, the total will always end up in an even number so the tip amount varies. It will either cost or gain the server a few cents, but it won't matter in the long run and selfishly, its easier to handle my banking that way. ha ha

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 12:07 PM)
I don't understand tipping someone who cuts your hair sometimes. If you get your hair done by appt and have a regular person who cuts your hair and you like their work, then by all means take care of them. If they work you in at the last minute, tip them. But if you go to a walk in place, why should that person expect a tip? I never understood tipping hotel maids. Cab drivers? Why, unless they do something specific to deserve one? Bathroom attendants? whatever - I can get my own towel

My friend cuts hair, so I understand where they are coming from. A good majority of hair stylists dont get paid much of a salary/hourly wage, or they dont get paid one at all and they have to rent their haircutting space from the place they work. So they have to figure out all of fees from rental, cost of supplies, and then charge according to what the business sets as the normal prices. Tips augment their wage very similarly to how tips augment a waitress/delivery drivers wage.

just wanted to add/reiterate

always, ALWAYS, tip your delivery driver if they're using their own personal vehicle to deliver your food

it costs a lot to maintain your own vehicle when using it for your job, and delivery drivers that use their own vehicle have to be on a commercial insurance policy (if they want to drive legally) which can cost about $200+/mo. now, granted, this can be deducted on their income taxes but they aren't getting all of that money back

here's a good article on why you should tip your delivery driver

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Much-to-Tip-...&id=1450287

QUOTE (Shadows @ Nov 29, 2008 -> 10:00 PM)
If you aren't gonna tip, just hand me the money and say thanks or just shut the door.. don't tell me "keep the change" because I don't even carry change on me and wouldn't give you any if you asked for it anyways (Coin change that is). I had someone ask me for their 27 cents back one time and I was just like "Uh, we don't carry actual change" and they said ok and let it be.

I used to deliver for dominos as well and had people say that to me sometimes. No one ever really questioned me on it. Best delivery I ever made was one sunday afternoon I got a pizza to a guy 8 minutes after he ordered it. He tipped me 25 bucks. It was really sweet. I also worked the night the bears played the colts and got a 20 dollar tip from a guy when I told him I was hoping the colts won because I was a packers fan. I am not, but I saw his packers flag outside and gave it a try.