Tipping

jasonxctf

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 04:21 PM)
Thats just being cheap, you obviously havent worked in the service industry. Let me edit and expand so you dont think im being an ass.

If you want to drink beer for free you should stay home. Otherwise you are paying for all the ammenities of a bar if you go there.

-The barback who keeps those beers cold and stocked, who keeps the bottles full and the bar clean

-the busbuy who clears your plates and fills your water

-the guy who cleans up after you in the bathroom

-the guys who clean the entire bar at night

-the staff that manages the supplies, food, drinks and overall bar business

-the general upkeep of the bar, including the heat, AC, windows, doors, music etc

If you dont feel like you need to give money to the people who complete some of that work for you and keep the bar you are at in good working condition, then honestly, please stay home.

Not to be an ass, but isn't that why the beers cost like 7 dollars...? I don't tip for every beer either btw, not at that price, esp. when I drink it in the bottle. For shots and mixed drinks that's different, I always tip at least one dollar a drink. When I buy the 25 cent beers I either give them a full dollar and walk away or I give them 2 bucks depending on how much I've tipped that night and what's in my pocket.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 04:53 PM)
Not to be an ass, but isn't that why the beers cost like 7 dollars...? I don't tip for every beer either btw, not at that price, esp. when I drink it in the bottle. For shots and mixed drinks that's different, I always tip at least one dollar a drink. When I buy the 25 cent beers I either give them a full dollar and walk away or I give them 2 bucks depending on how much I've tipped that night and what's in my pocket.

Yes, if there was no tipping then the bar would have to give more base compensation to the people who serve you which would make the beer price go up even more. As it stands right now, the increased cost of alcohol comes from the operating cost including taxes, licenses, etc that have been rising every year.

Its hard for people who havent been in the service industry to understand the jobs that these people do, but its a thankless job that is based on tipping. The entire compensation is based on the assumption the server will earn tips. If there were no tips, a bartender who works their ass off all night at a bar would bring in about 40-60 bucks a night, which would mean the bar backs would probably make less, and the bus boys and so on.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
Thats just being cheap, you obviously havent worked in the service industry. Let me edit and expand so you dont think im being an ass.

If you want to drink beer for free you should stay home. Otherwise you are paying for all the ammenities of a bar if you go there.

-The barback who keeps those beers cold and stocked, who keeps the bottles full and the bar clean

-the busbuy who clears your plates and fills your water

-the guy who cleans up after you in the bathroom

-the guys who clean the entire bar at night

-the staff that manages the supplies, food, drinks and overall bar business

-the general upkeep of the bar, including the heat, AC, windows, doors, music etc

If you dont feel like you need to give money to the people who complete some of that work for you and keep the bar you are at in good working condition, then honestly, please stay home.

I worked as a delivery driver so I know the importance of tips, I'll tip on any drink at least one dollar that isn't just a beer in a bottle that he has to turn around to get me. Then its one buck for every two beers. With beers already being like 5x what they cost anyways I feel like basically a fifty cent tip for ten seconds of work is a pretty damn good deal.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 02:50 PM)
Meh, the guys that work at Blockbuster get paid crap too, I don't tip them and neither does anyone else.

you should tip anyone who performs a service-- like cleaning up your mess. It's just courtesy. Being cheap isn't an excuse to not be courteous.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 05:53 PM)
Yes, if there was no tipping then the bar would have to give more base compensation to the people who serve you which would make the beer price go up even more. As it stands right now, the increased cost of alcohol comes from the operating cost including taxes, licenses, etc that have been rising every year.

Its hard for people who havent been in the service industry to understand the jobs that these people do, but its a thankless job that is based on tipping. The entire compensation is based on the assumption the server will earn tips. If there were no tips, a bartender who works their ass off all night at a bar would bring in about 40-60 bucks a night, which would mean the bar backs would probably make less, and the bus boys and so on.

Is it not true bartenders can pull down a few hundred dollars a night in tips on busy weekends? Or is that just college towns?

And yes, if the beer is already $6 I don't need to tip every time for turning around to grab a beer and taking the cap off. You know how much they pay per beer, and I'm pretty sure they make a lot off the $6 already. Plus, it doesn't always guarantee they'll get right to you anyways next time through, which is crap if they can actually distinguish from the non tippers.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 06:46 PM)
Is it not true bartenders can pull down a few hundred dollars a night in tips on busy weekends? Or is that just college towns?

And yes, if the beer is already $6 I don't need to tip every time for turning around to grab a beer and taking the cap off. You know how much they pay per beer, and I'm pretty sure they make a lot off the $6 already. Plus, it doesn't always guarantee they'll get right to you anyways next time through, which is crap if they can actually distinguish from the non tippers.

And how did that beer get to your hand? Who brought it off the truck to the cooler, who brought it most likely up stairs in bulk and placed it in the cooler nicely and cleanly so that you get a nice clean cold beer? Part of the tip goes to those guys too.

And yes, bartenders can pull down a couple of hundred dollars on a weekend which helps offset the weekday nights when they make crap. Its not a very glamerous gig no matter what it looks like when you are out on a weekend night ordering from them. And when I was slinging drinks on the regular I ALWAYS knew who treated me nicely, and who tipped. To me, the most important thing is for the customer to be courteous and patient, which is about 10 percent of patrons on a weekend night.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 07:52 PM)
And how did that beer get to your hand? Who brought it off the truck to the cooler, who brought it most likely up stairs in bulk and placed it in the cooler nicely and cleanly so that you get a nice clean cold beer? Part of the tip goes to those guys too.

And yes, bartenders can pull down a couple of hundred dollars on a weekend which helps offset the weekday nights when they make crap. Its not a very glamerous gig no matter what it looks like when you are out on a weekend night ordering from them. And when I was slinging drinks on the regular I ALWAYS knew who treated me nicely, and who tipped. To me, the most important thing is for the customer to be courteous and patient, which is about 10 percent of patrons on a weekend night.

i agree with you on all counts, but why the hell can't most bartenders actually mix a decent drink? I know, it mostly comes down to the time required to accurately mix something, but there are a lot of cocktails where eyeballing a 3-second pour just doesn't cut it.

And that's a legitimate reason for drinking at home. Not because you might be too pour to tip, but because you're tired of crappy drinks.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 07:12 PM)
you should tip anyone who performs a service-- like cleaning up your mess. It's just courtesy. Being cheap isn't an excuse to not be courteous.

I don't even make a mess 9 times out of 10, when I do, I leave a tip (when I'm there a long time I leave the do not disturb sign up cuz I don't want them coming in and doing unnecessary work). I'm not cheap or discourteous. I mean, I used to be an usher the Chicago and Oriental theaters, sometimes people would tip me, usually not (depends on where I was working in the theater that night). I didn't get paid that much either, it was above minimum wage though and I knew what the deal was and that I wasn't getting paid s***. In that kind of job, where it wasn't somewhere that's obvious like a waiter, bartender, or delivery person, I wasn't going to flip out if I didn't get one, it's more like "hey that guy gave me a 5 for taking him to his seat, nice." I also didn't expect people to feel bad for me and give me more money b/c they know I was making crap wages.

I'm the kind of person who takes things to the logical extremes - so if we're going to do that, everyone should tip every teacher, police officer, or U.S. servicemember they see (just the first few enlisted ranks, and maybe the junior officers). Since that's not logical I have to draw the line somewhere... I just don't have that much money to be throwing around.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 07:49 PM)
I'm the kind of person who takes things to the logical extremes - so if we're going to do that, everyone should tip every teacher, police officer, or U.S. servicemember they see (just the first few enlisted ranks, and maybe the junior officers). Since that's not logical I have to draw the line somewhere... I just don't have that much money to be throwing around.

Good point. I was thinking that you should tip the checkout person at the grocery store. The process of beer to hand is almost identical of that of food to your cart.

Pretty sure no one does that, and would consider it ridiculous.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 26, 2008 -> 01:36 PM)
I work hard for the money I spend in restaurants. If servers work for tips, then they should WORK hard for them too. 15% if service is what I expect, 20% or more if it's above and beyond, 10% if it sucked. That's fair.

Agreed, although the girl whose number I got last week was tipped more than 20 percent, and I think that's fair. :lolhitting

I will say that tipping isn't something you should overthink. To me, it's pretty obvious when somebody has and hasn't done something that is worthy of a tip. Outside of food/drink service and taxi cabs though, I don't think people see much done for them worthy of a tip outside of vacation obviously, in which case tipping everybody gets quite expensive.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 01:22 AM)
How about the tip pool at bars nowadays?? Where all the bartenders dump all the tips into a jar and split them up evenly at the end of the night. Basically, you're tipping even the s***ty bartenders.

That's been going on since the early 90's.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 08:29 PM)
Good point. I was thinking that you should tip the checkout person at the grocery store. The process of beer to hand is almost identical of that of food to your cart.

Pretty sure no one does that, and would consider it ridiculous.

The scanner who stands in one spot pulling and pushing items down a ramp, no. The bagger who runs around more like a bartender than the scanner (IMO), yes. And double if they help you to your car.

QUOTE (Steff @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 09:52 PM)
The scanner who stands in one spot pulling and pushing items down a ramp, no. The bagger who runs around more like a bartender than the scanner (IMO), yes. And double if they help you to your car.

I tip the baggers if they go to my car or if I bought a whole lot of stuff and they happen to be standing there when I'm ready to walk out. Not for routine stuff though b/c I generally want to do that myself and I can't, plus they're getting paid anyway (granted, not much, but that's not a job where you expect to make much either).

There are a lot of people who don't tip period at the bar..

I live in Katy, Texas.. Its not a major city, and there is no college around unless you count U of H which is 35 minutes away but people wont be coming out here to drink, they'd be going into Houston..

I only bring this up because my Ex Girlfriend who works as a bartender here would make $300 to $400 a NIGHT on the weekend.. That's Thursday, Friday, Saturday.. and that's with people who don't tip.. and shes not a waitress, she is behind the bar making the drinks and turning around and taking a cap off a bottle for someone..

If you don't feel that's worth a tip, don't tip.. I don't think its worth a tip either but I still throw em a couple bucks because it feels like you have to.. Either way, they are gonna be making a lot of money anyways..

QUOTE (Shadows @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 10:10 PM)
There are a lot of people who don't tip period at the bar..

I live in Katy, Texas.. Its not a major city, and there is no college around unless you count U of H which is 35 minutes away but people wont be coming out here to drink, they'd be going into Houston..

I only bring this up because my Ex Girlfriend who works as a bartender here would make $300 to $400 a NIGHT on the weekend.. That's Thursday, Friday, Saturday.. and that's with people who don't tip.. and shes not a waitress, she is behind the bar making the drinks and turning around and taking a cap off a bottle for someone..

If you don't feel that's worth a tip, don't tip.. I don't think its worth a tip either but I still throw em a couple bucks because it feels like you have to.. Either way, they are gonna be making a lot of money anyways..

Alot of money? I wouldnt consider making under 1k a week alot of money, it would barely be enough to live in Chicago after paying for your own insurance, saving for taxes at the end of the year, and any other benefits you may need.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:42 AM)
Alot of money? I wouldnt consider making under 1k a week alot of money, it would barely be enough to live in Chicago after paying for your own insurance, saving for taxes at the end of the year, and any other benefits you may need.

I think he was saying she makes that each night of weekend which adds up to over 1k.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)
I think he was saying she makes that each night of weekend which adds up to over 1k.

What kind of wacky math are you using. 300-400 bucks for friday and saturday adds up to 600-800 a weekend. Maybe you were counting Sunday night as a weekend night?

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)
I am usually pretty good at tipping waitresses, delivery drivers, etc. But with bartenders, i'll tip them every other beer or every three beers. I'm not tipping someone for opening a bottle of Bud Light when they're already ripping me off.

The bartender doesn't set the price, the bar does. The bartender sees very little of that $5 bottle of beer and busts his or her ass making sure you and, in many cases where staff is small, all the other in the customers in the bar are getting their drinks in a timely manner. The bartender not only takes care of you but takes care of the waitresses who are taking care of all the folks not sitting or standing at the bar. And if you seriously feel like you are getting ripped off why would you go to a bar to drink anyway? It's pretty clear that you can get a case for the cost of a few beer so why not just drink at home? I know it's a facetious question but it's just one I wonder about whenever I hear/see people complaining about the cost of beer out at bars/resturants/etc. I don't see the point in punishing the bartender for the cost of a beer, JMO.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)
I am usually pretty good at tipping waitresses, delivery drivers, etc. But with bartenders, i'll tip them every other beer or every three beers. I'm not tipping someone for opening a bottle of Bud Light when they're already ripping me off.

Ripping you off for what exactly? They are providing you a service, a location, and ammenities, if you dont want to pay for it then drink at home.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 01:23 PM)
I need to become a bartender. That's nearly what I make in 2 weeks.

You need to get a new job then. Keep in mind that if you have a corp job, half of the pay you get goes to taxes and your benefits, whereas bartender have that cash, but pay a huge lump sum on taxes at the end of the year and have to buy their own insurance which is expensive without that nice corp discount.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
You need to get a new job then. Keep in mind that if you have a corp job, half of the pay you get goes to taxes and your benefits, whereas bartender have that cash, but pay a huge lump sum on taxes at the end of the year and have to buy their own insurance which is expensive without that nice corp discount.

I'm already looking. My company will be closing down our Illinois location and moving everything to Florida within 2 years.

That 900-1200 isn't much lower than what I make gross. I don't have any benifits right now and don't really pay much in taxes. I get it all back in April since I make so little and can claim 5 dependants.

QUOTE (Steff @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
The bartender doesn't set the price, the bar does. The bartender sees very little of that $5 bottle of beer and busts his or her ass making sure you and, in many cases where staff is small, all the other in the customers in the bar are getting their drinks in a timely manner. The bartender not only takes care of you but takes care of the waitresses who are taking care of all the folks not sitting or standing at the bar. And if you seriously feel like you are getting ripped off why would you go to a bar to drink anyway? It's pretty clear that you can get a case for the cost of a few beer so why not just drink at home? I know it's a facetious question but it's just one I wonder about whenever I hear/see people complaining about the cost of beer out at bars/resturants/etc. I don't see the point in punishing the bartender for the cost of a beer, JMO.

Well, if I tip every other beer (which I usually do) I'm still tipping around 20 percent, but I'm not going to give the bartender a dollar tip for every $2 beer I buy (usually the price at the bar I go to at NIU).