Cuban pipeline drying up...KW quote

caulfield12

I don't think the "pipeline" is drying up. I take KW's comments more that Torres is looking for a place where his clients will get a good opportunity and fit best. Gomez may not be a fit for the sox, even though most people around here aren't very comfortable with CF/ leadoff possibilities of Owens or Lillibridge.

Kenny seems determined to give guys like Owens, Lillibridge and Getz a shot to hit leadoff.

Now Marti, that may be another story. If the 4-5th SP's don't impress in Spring, I could see KW making a big play for him.

Edited by beck72

Agents tend to drive prices up by saying good things about their clients and GM and scouts drive prices down by pinpointing the bad skills on those players. If the White Sox want any of these players, they will get them.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Feb 1, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
I don't think the "pipeline" is drying up. I take KW's comments more that Torres is looking for a place where his clients will get a good opportunity and fit best. Gomez may not be a fit for the sox, even though most people around here aren't very comfortable with CF/ leadoff possibilities of Owens or Lillibridge.

Kenny seems determined to give guys like Owens, Lillibridge and Getz a shot to hit leadoff.

Now Marti, that may be another story. If the 4-5th SP's don't impress in Spring, I could see KW making a big play for him.

If the US policy towards Cuba changes, and obviously the communist regime's policies change, I think Cuba will be a hotbed for recruiting new baseball talent. It may be drying up now as KW puts it, but only because of the current political realities.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE (Cubano @ Feb 1, 2009 -> 10:07 AM)
Agents tend to drive prices up by saying good things about their clients and GM and scouts drive prices down by pinpointing the bad skills on those players. If the White Sox want any of these players, they will get them.

Any news on Noel Arguelles, Cubano?

QUOTE (Cubano @ Feb 1, 2009 -> 11:07 AM)

well hopefully what was said about dayan is true lol

QUOTE (Sec101Row1 @ Feb 1, 2009 -> 09:19 PM)
Notice the coat Gomez is wearing sitting inside and he still looks cold. Must be in Chicago.

Two cuban chickens...

There is nothing the cold weather could do to us that Castro has not done to us yet.

Ha, ha , ha.

Tony Montana

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 04:39 PM)
well hopefully what was said about dayan is true lol

Man, I hope he does well. The White Sox had the "cojones" to give Alexei a real chance unlike other teams had done in the past with cubans. If you are from Japan you get Affirmative Action from MLB. Often, they start in the Majors and end up in the minor or back in Japan. If Viciedo does well in Spring Training, the next decent cuban player should get more dolares $$$$$$$$ and opportunities. Judging by his stats in Cuba, then many other cuban players are MLguers right now because they have better stats and are still very young.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 06:27 PM)
Alexei did earn his shot, but let's not forget there were a ton of us who thought he'd have a better chance at getting regular at-bats at AAA than in the bigs.

Yep, the Missle just looked lost for the 1st three weeks of the season, and then as soon as Uribe went down he just clicked and never looked back.

Though a performance in ST does not garantee success, Alexei earned it. We will never know, but playing in cold weather, sporadically and maybe with lacked of confidence once your manager benched you may have contributed to his poor performance. At then end of SP, he was facing big leaguers. He also faced pitching prospects at the begining of ST.

Viciedo's situation is more interesting because of his age, and the fact that many don't expect him to contribute much in 2009.

That's a pretty risky investment to make...because there's always the possibility he does pan out and the White Sox groom him and really blossoms in 2011 or 2012 and then a really big budget team scoops him up when he's only 23. That just doesn't happen in baseball, a player like Miguel Cabrera essentially become a FA at that age. Maybe 25-26, but not 23.

Drafting college/high school players, you know you'll get at least 6 years out a David Price or Joe Mauer (or maybe 7 with an extension covering the arbitration years and first year of Free Agency).

One can only hope that he's happy with Ozzie and the Sox and rewards their loyalty like Dye, Buehrle and Konerko did. OTOH, if Alexei Ramirez has three more seasons like 2008 without ANY talk of a contract extension or tearing up his deal, then I think he would definitely be justified in taking the money elsewhere. I know that $4 million plus should make him set for life, even after taxes, but he's one of the best relative values in baseball, along with Quentin and Danks.