2009 AL Central Thread

daa84

Again, we had one last year and I liked it so i'm starting a new one.

I understand cleveland added derosa and wood, and anything they get from hafner and martinez would be an upgrade over what they got last year, but who is going to start for that team?? Right now Lee and Carmona are a good 1,2 ...but after that right now they have Reyes (who got knocked around in a bad NL central, despite that 1 hit loss he threw vs. us in 06?...thome HR was the diff) Laffey, Sowers? Laffey was good to start last year but just plummeted after the break, and sowers stinks...Carl Pavano hasn't had a good full year in like 5 years too and cant be counted on for more than 5 starts IMO

The more I think about it, the more I like the twins in the division. They'll get Cuddyer back for a full season, Kubel is coming into his own, Mauer and Morneau are Mauer and Morneau. Plus you'd think that Young and Span would continue to get better (though I could see Span regressing a bit). Either way, the pitching will get a full year of a healthy liriano, plus slowey and baker should get better. And blackburn and perkins are certainly as solid as any 4,5 in the division

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 12:41 AM)

I understand cleveland added derosa and wood, and anything they get from hafner and martinez would be an upgrade over what they got last year, but who is going to start for that team?? Right now Lee and Carmona are a good 1,2 ...but after that right now they have Reyes (who got knocked around in a bad NL central, despite that 1 hit loss he threw vs. us in 06?...thome HR was the diff) Laffey, Sowers? Laffey was good to start last year but just plummeted after the break, and sowers stinks...Carl Pavano hasn't had a good full year in like 5 years too and cant be counted on for more than 5 starts IMO

The more I think about it, the more I like the twins in the division. They'll get Cuddyer back for a full season, Kubel is coming into his own, Mauer and Morneau are Mauer and Morneau. Plus you'd think that Young and Span would continue to get better (though I could see Span regressing a bit). Either way, the pitching will get a full year of a healthy liriano, plus slowey and baker should get better. And blackburn and perkins are certainly as solid as any 4,5 in the division

That's hardly a lock.

I would also pick the Twins to win the division, though.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 11:41 PM)

David Huff should make that rotation for CLE. Minnesota is the clear favorite for me.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
I think this could really be Alex Gordon's breakout year, but i do find that bullpen and the back of the rotation very questionable.

Are you saying you dont like Kyle Farnsworth pitching the 8th inning???? Ha, what a signing that was. Yeah, after Meche, Greinke, and Soria, their pitching is definitely shaky.

I can see the division winner only having like 85 wins, so a couple of the young guys improve a lot, get lucky with 1-2 pitchers and you never know.

If I had to pick someone, I would pick the Indians to sneak past the Twins and Sox.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
This is such a tough division to call, I honestly could see all 5 teams winning the division, and yes, I am aware that this includes the Royals...

I agree. I think when people make their predictions, they better tell us why they think the way they do. Anyone can pick the five teams out of a hat and possibly guess correctly.

The Indians can win if Lee duplicates last year, and Carmona joins him. Plus with a couple better arms in their bullpen, they could contend.

The Twins can win with one more year of experience with the young pitchers, and if Joe Crede stays healthy for a big chunk of the season. I don't see him playing 140 games, but maybe 100 games, he can make an impact on their team.

The Royals have a very good offense, and if some of the starting pitchers take the next step, they can be tough. Their bullpen is very good.

The Tigers--good offense, but a suspect pitching staff. I can't count them out, but who knows?

The White Sox have three starting pitchers that should win 15 games. The 4th and 5th spots are questionable. The defense is a big concern. Dye is a year older. Fields is Fields. AJ is adequate. Owens gets bad jumps. I'm not worried about the Sox offense at all, but I think a lot of things have to fall into place, and they can't afford injuries. If they fall behind early, look for more trades in June and July, and probably will end up at the bottom of the division. But really, 2nd place and 5th place are the same thing if you don't make the playoffs. I wouldn't care if the Sox came in last place if they bring in more young players for Konerko and Dye. But hopefully it won't come to that, and things fall into place.

And finally, I think it's easy for people to say the AL Central sucks, and all of the good teams are in the East. Yes, the East is tough, but I don't think the Central sucks. I think it's competitive, and the West is the worst of the three divisions.

Hello, first time poster here. I found this site about a year ago but was always too lazy to post.

Anyway, I agree that this division will be competitive this year, although I don't think the Royals will win it. I don't know if the Sox have what it takes to win the division again since there are alot of "if this happens" with our team but I hope at the very least they'll be in contention all year. We'll see. It could be a very fun season or a very frustrating one.

Until the Twins move out of that park, Minnie is my choice.

I would think on paper the Sox are the best of the rest. Who knows, though?

Hopefully nobody will run away (unless it's Sox). The summer will suck if the Sox are out of the race before the all-star break.

There are so many question marks. If Soria was a starter I'd love the Royals rotation. It seems the Twins and Sox remain a solid 1-2 on paper until somebody proves otherwise.

I love Ozzie, but he has been given a team with most of the ingredients to win. This is assuming the defense will be adequate.

On paper Oz has a good bullpen (gulp), if Count is back a good rotation, veterans sluggers, a veteran backstop.

But we have to assume Minnesota will have an amazing home record. The Twins can't play any worse than they did on the road last year. If they improve that a bit, everybody else is in the Twins' wake.

I think the Sox have the best chance IMO

Twins - are always going to be in it, when they play at the Glad Bag Dome

Indians - a .500 team, don't think Lee will repeat and I think the pitching is belove average

Royals - Better...but iffy pitching

Tigers - Mostly the same pitching that crapped out in 2007 and failed in 2008. I only see Gala and Verlander being good, everyone else is just horrid

QUOTE (JustWin @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 04:33 PM)
Hello, first time poster here. I found this site about a year ago but was always too lazy to post.

Anyway, I agree that this division will be competitive this year, although I don't think the Royals will win it. I don't know if the Sox have what it takes to win the division again since there are alot of "if this happens" with our team but I hope at the very least they'll be in contention all year. We'll see. It could be a very fun season or a very frustrating one.

Welcome aboard!

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 08:41 AM)
in today's "water is wet" new, indians closer kerry wood is hurt.

cleveland plain dealer

LMAO, I like how the Plain Dealer is already leary of the KWood injury scenarios. Wedge sounds like he is reading from the Cubs 10 year script of how to deflect injury questions about KWood

Cleveland Indians' Grady Sizemore won't play in World Baseball Classic because of strained groin

by Paul Hoynes / Plain Dealer Reporter

Friday February 27, 2009, 10:44 AM

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Grady Sizemore has withdrawn from the World Baseball Classic because of a strained left groin muscle. Sizemore and teammate Mark DeRosa were scheduled to join Team USA Sunday in Clearwater, Fla., for training camp.

"It was a tough decision," said Sizemore. "It was something I was looking forward to doing. In the end, I did what I felt was best for the team, myself and the USA team.

"I was excited to compete and work with this team and play for my country. But I'm not doing them any good to show up with an injury and I'm not doing my team any good if I leave here for three weeks, try to battle through and injury and return here and I'm still hurt.

"That was the deciding factor. It wasn't that I didn't want to play. It was that I didn't want to battle through an injury that could get worse and not be ready for the season.".

Sizemore played in the Indians' first two Cactus League games and looked good. He went 3-for-6 with a double and two RBI. Sizemore, nursing the injury for the last week, tested it by stealing second base in the fourth inning of Thursday's 15-9 loss to Arizona.

A team official said Sizemore felt pain and talked to manager Eric Wedge after the game about withdrawing from the WBC. Sizemore made his decision final this morning when he reported to the Indians player development complex. The Indians informed Bob Watson,the general manager for Team USA.

"I tried to test the groin on both days," said Sizemore. "I felt pain after both games."

Wedge said Sizemore will be shut down for a while.

"We'll have to pull him back," said Wedge. "He won't be playing games for a little while. We'll see how the treatment goes and work off Grady."

Wedge did not think the injury would keep Grady out of the season opener April 6 against Texas.

"We've got plenty of time left in camp to work Grady back into games," he said.

Sizemore and Detroit's Curtis Granderson were expected to share center field for Team USA. The only other outfielders on the WBC roster are Ryan Braun and Brad Hawpe.

After Thursday's game, Sizemore told reporters he was excited about going to the WBC. He did not mention the injury and said his only concern was leaving his teammates for a big part of spring training.

"I wasn't going to reveal anything until I talked to the training staff, Wedgie and Team USA," said Sizemore.

Sizemore, who said he strained the groin while catching fly balls in center field, started his offseason conditioning early to get ready for the WBC. When asked if that may have led to the injury, Sizemore said, "I don't know. I did speed up the process this offseaon, but I don't think that was a factor. . .I can't say it happened because I trained differently."

The Indians probably aren't shedding too many tears that Sizemore isn't going to the WBC. No ballclub wants to lose their best players for a big chunk of spring training.

Wedge said, "I feel bad for Grady because I know how important it was for him to play. I know how conflicted he is right now."

Tribe players expected to join DeRosa in the WBC include reliever Rafael Perez (Dominican Republic), Shin-Soo Choo (South Korea) and minor leaguers Nick Weglarz (Candada), Sung-Wei Tseng and Chen-Chang Lee (Chinese Taipei) and Damaso Espino and Paolo Espino (Panama).

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2...y_sizemo_1.html

We all know how well those groin injuries heal.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 03:28 PM)
Twins sign Scott Baker to a new deal

4yr/$13.5 mil. The deal buys out his arbitration years, and a club option for his first year of free agency.

I imagine Joe Mauers extension is next

It will be interesting to see with the market as it is now if alot of quality young players are going to be willing to sign the contracts that take up the last few years of arbitration in exchange for a few years of their free agency. I bet some are willing to ride arbitration as it goes and hope the economy comes back and not get tied into a long term deal

It will be interesting to see with the market as it is now if alot of quality young players are going to be willing to sign the contracts that take up the last few years of arbitration in exchange for a few years of their free agency. I bet some are willing to ride arbitration as it goes and hope the economy comes back and not get tied into a long term deal

Weird how things change haha, few years ago it was so overpaid for pitchers...