If Beckham's in B'ham...

JPN366

we used to heckle him at vandy calling him "hook"...evidently it drove him nuts...some guys in high school made fun of him with that nickname...and he wasnt too happy with the vandy player who gave us the dirt on him....so go ahead and call him slayer, just dont call him hook

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 04:52 PM)
just look at it this way:

we should use Slayer as often as possible. if it sticks, it will have been because of us. I say we go for it.

I can just imagine it catching on and having Hawk call him Slayer during a game having absolutely no clue where and how it originated. There would just be something so satisfying about the next star of the franchise being called a pussy slayer by crusty old baseball announcers.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 02:59 PM)
I can just imagine it catching on and having Hawk call him Slayer during a game having absolutely no clue where and how it originated. There would just be something so satisfying about the next star of the franchise being called a pussy slayer by crusty old baseball announcers.

just tell Hawk he's a fan of dragon movies. He'll never know.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 11:16 PM)
Unless you know him personally, calling Beckham "Slayer" kinda makes you sound like a wannabe.

I'm sure his nickname will probably end up being Gordo. I think I heard his teammates call him that at Georgia, and it's a common nickname for Gordon.

Debbie Downer

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 05:59 PM)

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)

Um, Hawk would be more likely to keep the nickname if he knew the root of it. Who knows if it's true or not, but I've heard an interesting origin story of Carlos Lee's nickname.

Also, Hawk said one of the craziest things I've ever heard during a broadcast. It was during ST and he was still with Wimpy. It involved the camera being on two women in bikinis. If the internet existed then he would have been fired.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 06:13 PM)
Um, Hawk would be more likely to keep the nickname if he knew the root of it. Who knows if it's true or not, but I've heard an interesting origin story of Carlos Lee's nickname.

Also, Hawk said one of the craziest things I've ever heard during a broadcast. It was during ST and he was still with Wimpy. It involved the camera being on two women in bikinis. If the internet existed then he would have been fired.

And he said...?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 04:09 PM)
I believe it came from a story about how many Georgia honey's he's had.

Then maybe it should be "HPV Slayer." Remind me to either throw the pen away or just tell Gordo to keep it when I get his autograph.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 07:10 PM)
And he said...?

I was seeing if anyone else remembers it, there's a thread somewhere on here where it was discussed and other people remember seeing it, so I'm not crazy...

He said something along the lines of "I tell ya Wimpy we get the best beaver shots in all of baseball." There was dead silence for about a minute, Wimpy and Hawk obviously hit the kill switches on their mics, Wimpy comes back and through laughter says "That's Ken Harrelson, care of Sportschannel."