2/27 Sox vs. Dbacks

daa84

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChesterCopperpot @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
Too bad there's no radio. I wanted to hear Viciedo's bat crack.

Getz walks.

i really think the 2nd base competition is going to be really tight all spring long...getz has the plate discipline, Lillibridge the Speed, Nix probably has the best power of the three and maybe the D....

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)
i really think the 2nd base competition is going to be really tight all spring long...getz has the plate discipline, Lillibridge the Speed, Nix probably has the best power of the three and maybe the D....

I think the D will be solid from any of those guys.

Just for the sake of argument. If Viciedo just tears it up in Spring, but Fields does pretty well himself (doesn't play himself out of a job), does KW then really think about trading Dye for some pitching and put Viciedo or Fields in LF? Or would they consider keeping him on the roster, like they did with Alexei, or would that really hold him back on his growth?

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 09:28 PM)
Just for the sake of argument. If Viciedo just tears it up in Spring, but Fields does pretty well himself (doesn't play himself out of a job), does KW then really think about trading Dye for some pitching and put Viciedo or Fields in LF? Or would they consider keeping him on the roster, like they did with Alexei, or would that really hold him back on his growth?

No one is going to trade for Dye, as his contract is about twice of what he'd be paid if he was a FA. Viciedo is going to start the season in ST, if for no other reason than to improve his defense.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)

I really believe that by the end of spring training, the Sox are going to still like all three players--Lillibridge, Getz, and Nix. If I had to guess what will happen, Lillibridge and Getz will both make the team, and both will get ample playing time.

Vs. lefties, it'll probably be Anderson in CF and Lillibridge at 2B, and Brent will probably get a little more playing time at SS. If you remember last year, Alexei would get a little tired and go in mini-slumps. Liilbridge could probably start 50 games at 2B, and another 20-30 at SS.

Nix? Might be a numbers game because he really only plays 2B. I think the Sox might do him a favor and try to move him to another organization.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 03:32 PM)
No one is going to trade for Dye, as his contract is about twice of what he'd be paid if he was a FA. Viciedo is going to start the season in ST, if for no other reason than to improve his defense.

I think you meant to say start the season in AAA

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
Fields will be the teams 3B, this whole "Competition at 3B" is a facade to the fans, they're pretty much lying to us and Dayan

Dayan is not ready to play MLB 3B defense quite yet. He would benefit from a season at AAA.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
Fields will be the teams 3B, this whole "Competition at 3B" is a facade to the fans, they're pretty much lying to us and Dayan

I don't think we've been misled at all. No one but the beat writers have ever said anything about this kid starting for the big club this year.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
I don't think we've been misled at all. No one but the beat writers have ever said anything about this kid starting for the big club this year.

Ozzie has said it's a competition for 3B, so no it isn't just the beat writers.

edit: here's one quote from ozzie

"Spring Training is going to dictate how much he plays," Guillen said of Viciedo. "If this kid comes like Alexei did, I don't mind taking him. We're going to play them to see what comes to the table."
Edited by joesaiditstrue