2/27 Sox vs. Dbacks

daa84

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scenario @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 04:19 PM)
I've got some old notes I compiled on him from various sources.

22 year-old Venezuelan righthander Clevelan Santeliz heads the ranks of sleepers looking to surprise. His slider had been his best pitch until 2007, when his fastball jumped from the low 90s to the mid-90s, touching 96 mph at times. The 6-foot, 190-pound Santeliz also has a plus changeup. His development has been slowed by both his control and the lack of a consistent breaking pitch. He has been used more as a reliever than a starter but Bell switched him into the starting rotation after replacing Alan Regier as farm director. He's expected to compete for a starting spot at Birmingham in 2009. "He's got as good of an arm as anybody we have," one staffer said.

Scenario, what do you know about Nathan Jones? I've read multiple articles stating that his stuff is ridiculously good (does he really tough 99 with his FB?) but that his command/control are seriously lacking at this point.

22 year-old Venezuelan righthander Clevelan Santeliz heads the ranks of sleepers looking to surprise. His slider had been his best pitch until 2007, when his fastball jumped from the low 90s to the mid-90s, touching 96 mph at times. The 6-foot, 190-pound Santeliz also has a plus changeup. His development has been slowed by both his control and the lack of a consistent breaking pitch. He has been used more as a reliever than a starter but Bell switched him into the starting rotation after replacing Alan Regier as farm director. He's expected to compete for a starting spot at Birmingham in 2009. "He's got as good of an arm as anybody we have," one staffer said.

Interesting. I never heard anything about him before. I was joking around about him, thinking he was just an arm, but those strikeouts surprised me. Now I'm starting to root for him.

Nice job, Getz. BA scores. Then Flowers singles. Then Owens..

White Sox minor league pitching coordinator Kirk Champion compares Santeliz to Diamondbacks reliever Juan Cruz. "When he can stay under control, he can be impressive out there," Champion said. "He's tall, thin, and we know he'll mature. We need to see consistency from him over the course of a summer."

Nice work.

owens grounds out....god i want him nowhere near this team...he has absolutely 0 ability to hit extra base hits (and thats not even debatable) and i have 0 confidence in him to get on base above a .320 clip...which would make him one of the worst players int he league

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 04:24 PM)
Scenario, what do you know about Nathan Jones? I've read multiple articles stating that his stuff is ridiculously good (does he really tough 99 with his FB?) but that his command/control are seriously lacking at this point.

Nathan Jones = Nuke LaLoosh

Might have the best arm in the organization. High 90's fastball and an outstanding curveball that sometimes causes guys to bail out of the box before it breaks back into the strike zone.

Now the bad news. Control problems. And mechanical issues that may limit his ability to throw consistent strikes.

He's a project for sure, but an interesting one.

Does he throw 99? I listened to a couple of games he pitched last year and the gun they used had him up in the range. But... not sure I'd trust the stadium guns in the low minors. So, it's hard to put alot of stock in those numbers until he moves up a level or two.