Rogers: Beckham the real deal

southsider2k5

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0...,3746248.column

White Sox's Gordon Beckham the real deal

But to get to bigs quickly, shortstop may have to change positions

Phil Rogers | On Baseball

March 4, 2009

GLENDALE, Ariz. — Scouting and player development remains as much art as science. There are no sure things. But Gordon Beckham looks like the safest bet the White Sox have placed in the amateur draft in about 20 years.

He can hit, and he's a born shortstop and competitor. That's why he started all 197 games he played at the University of Georgia, every one of them at the game's most important defensive position. He also batted .411 with an NCAA-leading 28 homers last season.

"I do like shortstop," Beckham said. "It's always been the spot for me."

The White Sox haven't played a season with a homegrown player as their primary shortstop since 1976, before Roland Hemond traded Bucky Dent to the Yankees. Beckham has the potential to end that drought. His timing could have been better, however.

Beckham was selected with the eighth overall pick last June—at about the same time general manager Ken Williams and manager Ozzie Guillen were concluding that Cuban émigré Alexei Ramirez is a heck of a player, capable of moving from second base to shortstop. They no longer felt badly about not being able to sign Orlando Cabrera to a contract extension because they had a replacement in Ramirez, who had been happy to play second or center field but insisted that short was his natural position.

Because of Ramirez, the 22-year-old Beckham played some second and third base in the Arizona Fall League, as well as short. This spring he has been at both sides of the bag during infield drills, working especially hard to learn the second-base pivot.

It seems he hardly flinched the first time a potential position change was addressed. He's a team guy, after all—the quarterback of his high school team, and the son of a University of South Carolina quarterback.

"I'm going to play wherever they want me to play," Beckham said. "I enjoy shortstop. It always has been fun, challenging to me. I'm used to it. But they want me to play other positions, and if that can get me to the big leagues quicker, I have no problem. … Where they want me to play, I'll play."

Because Beckham has shown an ability to get on base and drive in runs, it's natural to project him in a lineup alongside Ramirez. That could occur in 18 months, maybe even less.

But should anyone discount Beckham's chance to fulfill his potential as a shortstop, just because his organization appears to have a more advanced one?

Some people, including Guillen, who spent 13 years as the Sox's shortstop after being acquired in a trade, believe it would be a mistake to change Beckham's position this early in his career.

"I was shocked that he said he will move to another position just to get to the big leagues quicker," Guillen said. "I don't think that's the way we're looking at him. I don't think this kid is a utility player."

Beckham received $2.6 million to sign last August, more than the Sox have paid any amateur player outside of celebrated bust Joe Borchard. No one is talking about making him a utility player. But if he could hit like Jeff Kent or Dan Uggla at second base, while playing the position with the athleticism and instincts that have carried him at shortstop, that would be a very good thing.

Still, finding a solid defensive shortstop who also can hit in the middle of your lineup is like finding the Holy Grail of baseball. It's why Cal Ripken was revered long before he broke Lou Gehrig's consecutive games record, and why Alex Rodriguez has been baseball's biggest earner for almost a decade now.

Guillen makes another point about why the Sox should move slowly when considering a position change for their 2008 first-rounder.

"The guy playing shortstop for us [Ramirez] can play everywhere," he said.

Perhaps Ramirez will prove to be an especially skilled fielder at shortstop. But if he's only average, maybe he could move to center field—at present a long-term question mark—while Beckham plays short.

Beckham has some work to do at shortstop, in part because he played there so much in college. Hitters using aluminum bats force shortstops to play deep and charge routine grounders and they can get caught in between hops. The Sox want Beckham to relax a little and take longer to read the ball off the bat, getting himself in better position to use his arm, which is solid, not strong.

Guillen makes an interesting point.

"To me, it's easier to play short in the big leagues instead of college," he said. "In college you have aluminum bats, the fields are terrible, bad lights. Here everything is perfect. … To me I look at [beckham] like he's going to be an offensive player. But that's today. Maybe tomorrow he's Ozzie Smith."

Guillen believes a good shortstop can adjust quickly to second or third base. That time may come for Beckham, but why rush it?

progers@tribune.com

If Beckham can play a solid SS, I hope he sticks there. This guy has a chance to be the complete package--productive hitter, team leader, good with the media and fans, and marketable. I don't want to see the Sox jack this guy around trying to find another position. They drafted him as a shortstop, and they should give him every opportunity to become the shortstop of the White Sox.

Just my $0.02.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 07:24 AM)
If Beckham can play a solid SS, I hope he sticks there. This guy has a chance to be the complete package--productive hitter, team leader, good with the media and fans, and marketable. I don't want to see the Sox jack this guy around trying to find another position. They drafted him as a shortstop, and they should give him every opportunity to become the shortstop of the White Sox.

Just my $0.02.

If he can play a solid 2b, and the Sox can cover SS with Alexei for the next 5+ years (assuming an extension at some point), then I think Beckham's bat might actually be more valuable at 2b than at SS. It's a lot harder to find good offensive production at 2b than it is SS these days. Think about how valuable a guy like Utley is to the Phillies. They can have weakness at a number of other positions because they get so much additional production out of 2b.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 10:58 AM)
If he can play a solid 2b, and the Sox can cover SS with Alexei for the next 5+ years (assuming an extension at some point), then I think Beckham's bat might actually be more valuable at 2b than at SS. It's a lot harder to find good offensive production at 2b than it is SS these days. Think about how valuable a guy like Utley is to the Phillies. They can have weakness at a number of other positions because they get so much additional production out of 2b.

Im sorry, offensive players at SS are MUCH more valuable than at 2B. Contracts have depicted that as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 06:35 PM)
Im sorry, offensive players at SS are MUCH more valuable than at 2B. Contracts have depicted that as well.

So is it better to keep him at 2b because he'll be cheaper? :lolhitting

I definitely do not want to see him switch positions. I want him to be a solid, productive shortstop for the next 5-6 years, so I guess that means letting Alexi play a year of short and go back to 2B or CF. How long do we have Alexi under contract for anyways? I can't remember.

Edited by FranktheTank35

QUOTE (FranktheTank35 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)
I definitely do not want to see him switch positions. I want him to be a solid, productive shortstop for the next 5-6 years, so I guess that means letting Alexi play a year of short and go back to 2B or CF. How long do we have Alexi under contract for anyways? I can't remember.

Alexei is under contract thru 2011, but I think he'd be arb eligible after the 2011 and 2012 seasons if they don't extend him before then.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 02:07 PM)
once beckham's ready, why can't you just put the best SS out there? competition between the two.

Because then one of them has to switch positions going right into the start of the season, whoever loses. I'd rather them make up their minds before ST, and go form there. Alexei moves back to second, and Beckham comes in at SS. Give him a year in the minors.

QUOTE (FranktheTank35 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 11:10 AM)
Because then one of them has to switch positions going right into the start of the season, whoever loses. I'd rather them make up their minds before ST, and go form there. Alexei moves back to second, and Beckham comes in at SS. Give him a year in the minors.

I guess I just don't see that as a big deal. You compete early on in spring, then make a decision and stick to it. Play the last few weeks at your position, ready to go.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 06:57 PM)
I don't see why we can't just move Alexei back to 2nd base when Beckham is ready to come up to the majors.

It's not like Alexei is gonna forget how to play 2nd, and he was pretty good there last year.

He had a -6.9 UZR last season ranking him 14th out of the 16 qualifying 2B's, he made some flashy plays but on the whole was significantly below average.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)
Alexei is under contract thru 2011, but I think he'd be arb eligible after the 2011 and 2012 seasons if they don't extend him before then.

Someone smarter than me probably knows for sure, but they may not be able to offer him arbitration after his contract is up. This ends up being part of the contract with a lot of international players, so my guess would be we would have to look at offering Ramirez a long term deal come 2011 if we wanted to keep him.

QUOTE (hawksfan61 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 02:22 PM)
Someone smarter than me probably knows for sure, but they may not be able to offer him arbitration after his contract is up. This ends up being part of the contract with a lot of international players, so my guess would be we would have to look at offering Ramirez a long term deal come 2011 if we wanted to keep him.

Yep, there's a 99% chance Jaime Torres included a sign/release clause in both Alexei and Dayan's deals. Come 2011, if Alexei isn't re-signed by a certain date in November he'll become a free agent. There's also no free agent compensation for these players.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 12:32 PM)
Yep, there's a 99% chance Jaime Torres included a sign/release clause in both Alexei and Dayan's deals. Come 2011, if Alexei isn't re-signed by a certain date in November he'll become a free agent. There's also no free agent compensation for these players.

Translation; if we have any money to spend this offseason after guys like Thome and Dye clear out, our first priority has to be extending the guys we already have (Alexei, Quentin, possibly Danks, Floyd, Jenks).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 09:45 PM)
Translation; if we have any money to spend this offseason after guys like Thome and Dye clear out, our first priority has to be extending the guys we already have (Alexei, Quentin, possibly Danks, Floyd, Jenks).

Do you guys think these players will want to re-sign next year? I mean, for them, does re-signing next year mean that they would be looking at (possibly) further decreasing payer salaries, may they want to see if things recover the next year in a (hopefully) improving financial situation?

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
Do you guys think these players will want to re-sign next year? I mean, for them, does re-signing next year mean that they would be looking at (possibly) further decreasing payer salaries, may they want to see if things recover the next year in a (hopefully) improving financial situation?

There's going to be a number of factors at play, with a lot depending on the economy. If Baseball's economics improve along with the country during the year, they may want to hold out to see where the market goes. On the other hand, if baseball at the end of this season is finding itself in the boat the NBA currently is, where people are ditching games even after buying luxury boxes just to avoid spending the money on food and seats simply can't be sold, it's plausible that the market could go down even farther than it already has, where the team could give people an advantage by offering them longer-term security in a declining market.

QUOTE (hawksfan61 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)

If we really want to keep Ramirez, we're going to have to rip up the remainder of his contract after 2009 or sometime in the 2010 season (if he continues to put up an .800 OPS), or he'll be considered one of the biggest bargain contracts in recent MLB history...the White Sox and KW don't HAVE to do anything, of course, but if they're serious about keeping him, they should at least give it strong consideration, assuming the money's there.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
once beckham's ready, why can't you just put the best SS out there? competition between the two.

A lot of scouting I have read on Beckham is that he might not be athletic enough to play short, ala he doesn't cover the ground, and that's why you hear a lot of talk of moving him to second.

Also remember, I believe Alexei's "natural" position was CF.