Position battles according the ST

southsider2k5

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox04.article

CENTER FIELD

The pre-camp hype: Guillen almost went out of his way to keep Dewayne Wiseâ€s name relevant, especially during the SoxFest weekend, because most of the speculation was about Brian Anderson against Jerry Owens.

Owens seemed to be the front-runner from the standpoint that heâ€s considered the only true leadoff hitter of the three, and Williams didnâ€t feel the need to go outside the organization this offseason to address that hole.

Where it stands after Week 1 of Cactus League play:

1. Wise — As one teammate commented: ‘‘This is not the same Dewayne; heâ€s got a look in his eyes now.â€â€ Wise has been the Sox†best player this spring, going 5-for-11 with a double and a triple and impressing on defense. Now he has to prove he can hit in the leadoff spot.

2. Anderson — The former first-round pick is

in a great position. Even if he doesnâ€t win a starting job, because heâ€s a right-handed hitter with the best outfield glove in the organization, heâ€s all but a lock for at least the fourth-outfielder spot. He did get one start at leadoff but went 0-for-3.

3. Owens — Itâ€s tough to judge Owens†start because he has been almost tentative in making sure his injury problems are behind him. Expect the speedster to start attacking more this week. For now, though, heâ€s wearing the bronze medal.

SECOND BASE

The pre-camp hype: It was Chris Getzâ€s world, with Jayson Nix and Brent Lillibridge just visiting it, throughout most of the winter — that is, until Guillen got a whiff of what he thought was the media anointing Getz the starter way too quickly.

Lillibridge was considered the dark horse because of his speed, and his ability to play center field and shortstop figured to put him in line to win at least a utility spot. Nix seemed to be the least mentioned of the three candidates, despite having the most professional experience.

Where it stands after Week 1:

1. Nix — Guess who has shown up, ready to win a job? Nix has played well defensively and gone 4-for-6 with two doubles, not including some damage he did in a ‘‘Bâ€â€ game, and the 26-year-old is proving to be all business.

2. Getz — Still the favorite, according to at least two veteran players, because of a swing the Sox deem sturdy enough to hold up for an entire season. Getz hasnâ€t necessarily lost favor; Nix just has been that good. Itâ€s all or nothing for the rookie as far as sticking on the 25-man roster because second base is the only position he can play.

3. Lillibridge — The speed is there — the former Braves farmhand stole a base in his first start — but so are the swings and misses that haunted him last season. It didnâ€t help his cause that he had a two-error game after being considered a good glove man.

THIRD BASE

The pre-camp hype: Fields had clean-up surgery on his knee, LASIK surgery on his eyes and spent time in Miami with bench coach Joey Cora during the winter to work on his often-criticized defense — and 19-year-old Cuban defector Dayan Viciedo still was collecting all the headlines.

The only thing the two seemed to have in common was that neither was going to make Sox fans say, ‘‘Joe who?â€â€ when it came to their gloves. Guillen has done his best to soften expectations by insisting that ‘‘no one can replace Joe Credeâ€s defense.â€â€

Where it stands after Week 1:

1. Fields — No one is surprised that Fields is hitting .500 because his offense never has been a real question. What has impressed Guillen is the way heâ€s making the routine plays at third. Is he Crede? No, and he never will be. He just needs to be serviceable and give Sox pitchers confidence.

2. Viciedo — The bat is as good as advertised, maybe even better. Defensively, Viciedo has a lot of work to do. Leaving the facility Monday, when he was scheduled for extra work in the weight room, didnâ€t help. The kid can be a star in the next few years, but donâ€t be surprised if it happens at left field or first base.

Well, let's just hope the "work ethic/attitude" problems with Viciedo are nipped in the bud right away by the veterans. I think he's a little bit like one of those NBA first rounders who suddenly has millions of dollars at age 18 or 19 and doesn't know how to handle the dramatic change in his life quite yet.

We keep forgetting how young he is, and yet he's being considered in some circles for a starting position at age 19/20, when only a few players like Griffey, A-Rod and Miguel Cabrera were able to pull it off.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 07:53 AM)
Well, let's just hope the "work ethic/attitude" problems with Viciedo are nipped in the bud right away by the veterans. I think he's a little bit like one of those NBA first rounders who suddenly has millions of dollars at age 18 or 19 and doesn't know how to handle the dramatic change in his life quite yet.

We keep forgetting how young he is, and yet he's being considered in some circles for a starting position at age 19/20, when only a few players like Griffey, A-Rod and Miguel Cabrera were able to pull it off.

If anyone will fight that battle and win, its Ozzie.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 09:58 AM)
dewayne wise, he has this look, 5-11, oh whatever, its 11 ab's! he still sux and always will

^^

Not convinced of anything other than the fact that he deserves a shot to get on the roster. And that's it.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 10:06 AM)
You're thinking of the Kiss Demon from WCW wrestling, Dale Torborg. Regier was one of Wilder's guys who has since been reassigned to a scouting role.

Considering one of the accusations against Wilder was providing PEDs to the overvalued prospects, and Regier was linked, maybe he wasn't mistaken.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 09:18 AM)
^^

Not convinced of anything other than the fact that he deserves a shot to get on the roster. And that's it.

the guy is almost 30 , has been a career minor leaguer. he only had a few good games and that is all! he was garbage down the stretch and he proved that when he plays everyday he sux. like u said, if anything, he can be a backup of or something. btw, i honestly dont think BA or owens should be an everyday cf.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
Considering one of the accusations against Wilder was providing PEDs to the overvalued prospects, and Regier was linked, maybe he wasn't mistaken.

Ah, maybe you're right... an inside joke! If that's the case though, I doubt Regier had any involvement in the steriod part of it because if he did I'm sure the FBI would have discovered that and Kenny would have kicked his ass out the door ASAP.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 10:28 AM)
the guy is almost 30 , has been a career minor leaguer. he only had a few good games and that is all! he was garbage down the stretch and he proved that when he plays everyday he sux. like u said, if anything, he can be a backup of or something. btw, i honestly dont think BA or owens should be an everyday cf.

Anderson > Wise > Owens

If Owens gets a shot, then Wise gets one too by default. It's funny too how there are two guys better than Owens (Kroeger, Cook) who aren't even considered in the mix.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 10:45 AM)
Anderson > Wise > Owens

If Owens gets a shot, then Wise gets one too by default. It's funny too how there are two guys better than Owens (Kroeger, Cook) who aren't even considered in the mix.

well can they lead off?

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 10:50 AM)
well can they lead off?

None of them can. The closest the Sox have to a lead-off hitting CF is Jordan Danks, and he'll probably start the year out at Winston-Salem. With a real big year at Birmingham, combined with your typical dogs*** showing from White Sox CF'ers, Jordan could challenge for a job as early as ST 2010. But that is the very earliest the Sox will have anyone out there that can play CF and lead off.

Until then, the Sox should pick either defense or offense and be done with it. Either get a guy who will hit out there (had Swisher, dealt Swisher) or get a guy who can play defense out there (Anderson). Don't go for a couple guys in Owens and Wise who can neither hit nor play the position.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 11:14 AM)
None of them can. The closest the Sox have to a lead-off hitting CF is Jordan Danks, and he'll probably start the year out at Winston-Salem. With a real big year at Birmingham, combined with your typical dogs*** showing from White Sox CF'ers, Jordan could challenge for a job as early as ST 2010. But that is the very earliest the Sox will have anyone out there that can play CF and lead off.

Until then, the Sox should pick either defense or offense and be done with it. Either get a guy who will hit out there (had Swisher, dealt Swisher) or get a guy who can play defense out there (Anderson). Don't go for a couple guys in Owens and Wise who can neither hit nor play the position.

whats the ceiling for jordan danks? is he projected to be a starting cfer one day?

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)
Viciedo has 1B written all over him. I hope Fields can prove he can be a solid everyday 3B. If he can a Viciedo, Beckham, Ramirez Fields infield sounds very nice to me!

c-flowers

1b-viciedo

2b-beckham

3b-fields

ss-ramirez

lf?

cf-danks

rf-quentin

kw had done a great job in rebuilding our farm system

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
whats the ceiling for jordan danks? is he projected to be a starting cfer one day?

c-flowers

1b-viciedo

2b-beckham

3b-fields

ss-ramirez

lf?

cf-danks

rf-quentin

Throw in John Shelby at LF and Brandon Allen at DH. :) With those two players thrown in as well, I'm very excited. :gosox3:

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)

c-flowers

1b-viciedo

2b-beckham

3b-fields

ss-ramirez

lf?

cf-danks

rf-quentin

Ceiling? Depends on who you ask, but I guess it would be like Shane Victorino numbers-wise with a few more walks and K's.

that was an interesting blurb about Viciedo:

Viciedo — The bat is as good as advertised, maybe even better. Defensively, Viciedo has a lot of work to do. Leaving the facility Monday, when he was scheduled for extra work in the weight room, didn’t help. The kid can be a star in the next few years, but don’t be surprised if it happens at left field or first base.

Have to keep in mind that he's still very young.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
that was an interesting blurb about Viciedo:

Have to keep in mind that he's still very young.

They have correct it immediately. Apparently, the rap against him in Cuba was he became disinterested. If he's blowing things off the first week of his first spring training, it doesn't bode well moving on. I'm sure KW and Ozzie have made a point to him this morning.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 10:58 AM)
They have correct it immediately. Apparently, the rap against him in Cuba was he became disinterested. If he's blowing things off the first week of his first spring training, it doesn't bode well moving on. I'm sure KW and Ozzie have made a point to him this morning.

it's also why he and the organization would benefit from him spending some time in the minors.

DISCLAIMER: I know it's only been a week and things will change but lets play manager for a minute.

So far this spring I'm impressed by Nix and Lillibridge, shot at making this team, Beckham and Vieciedo probably won't but equally impressive.

Lineups as I see them right now:

Starters:

Owens CF

Nix 2B

Quentin LF

Dye RF

Thome DH

Paulie 1B

AJP C

Alexei SS

Fields 3B

Bench:

Betemit - 1B/3B Utility man

Lillibridge - 2B/SS PR/Utility man

Miller/Stewart/Armstrong - didn't see enough of them to make a choice for a backup catcher

Anderson - OF

OR:

Lillibridge 2B

AJP C

Quentin LF

Dye RF

Thome DH

Paulie 1B

Alexei SS

Fields 3B

Anderson CF

Bench:

Betemit - 1B/3B Utility Man

Nix - 2B

Owens - OF

Miller/Stewart/Armstrong - see above

Either way I hope Getz can turn it around and battle it out with Nix for the place on the 25man roster. I really want Lillibridge in the majors, I don't want Owens near the team but probably not gonna happen.

Beckham and Viciedo to the minors, learn 2B and 1B respectively and have a shot at next years starting lineup.

Let me see what you guys have in mind so far.