Chris Getz named 2b

justBLAZE

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 11:16 PM)
yep. I'm thinking he can make the team as a bench player though, especially if Anderson becomes a starter. We could use a right handed power bat off the bench, considering Betemit is very similar to Jose Valentin in that he's a switch hitter but really can't hit right handed. I'm curious as to what our bench will look like. Part of it will depend on how many pitchers we carry. For now, I'll assume we'll keep 12 pitchers.

-I'm pretty sure Corky has the backup catcher spot locked up.

-Anderson seems as a lock to make the team, and sadly it looks like one of Wise or Owens is as well. CF will likely be a platoon.

-Betemit will make the team as the utility infielder.

-This spot will be tough. Do you go with another infielder in Lillibridge or Nix, or do you go with perhaps Kroeger, who has really shown an ability to hit this spring. Personally, I want Kroeger, but you can make a strong case for Lillibridge to backup the MI and most importantly SS. Nix as well wouldn't be a bad choice. Perhaps with his health in question, we can sneak him down to Charlotte.

The extra IF and hopefully both of them. It sounds like Nix should start the season on the DL.

Opening day bench:

Miller C

Lillibridge 2B, SS, CF, PR

Betemit 1B, 3B, LF, PH

Wise 4th OF, PH, PR

Anderson in CF as the starter, Owens = who cares?

Then when Nix comes back you send Lillibridge to Charlotte to get regular playing time. Nix is the backup SS (hopefully Alexei won't miss too many days) and the backup 2B, plus insurance on Getz as well as a PH. That way we get to keep him.

Meanwhile, Kroeger should stick in Triple A. Wise has shown he can be useful in limited playing time and is the veteran, so I think you stick with him. Also he gives us a PR when Lilli would go down. If Wise happens to suck in his role then you don't have to worry about losing him, you just send him through waivers and back down to Charlotte again, and call up either Kroeger or David Cook depending on what the needs are and who is hitting. If Ozzie wants Wise later for something he'll be there.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 08:57 AM)
The thing is, Nix hasn't played SS since his first year in pro ball which was like 8 years ago, and I wouldn't consider him to be any better than Betemit at SS.

After watching Betemit play defense, I'll take my chances with Nix even if he hasn't played SS since little league.

Alexei should start 155+ games at SS next year if he's healthy. I'd be more than willing to take a hit at the backup position for a couple games if it meant both insurance on Getz and a chance of Nix building up his trade value. I still think 2B is targeted for Beckham long-term, and when you look at all the contracts coming off the books for the Sox after this year, plus the financial state other teams are in, plus the abundance of talent the Sox will have in the high minors this year, plus the logjams in the IF, I think it's the perfect storm for a big acquisition by KW either this season or over the offseason.

Ideally for me, we hang on to Nix and both he and Getz look like everyday 2B. Then the Sox have two chips to deal instead of one, and more possibilities as well. For example, if we wanted to keep one of the two and start that player while moving Fields in a trade and pushing Beckham to 3B, or even moving Beckham to SS with Alexei sliding over to 3B in order to move Viciedo to the OF/1B/DH, then we'd be able to do it. If Nix wasn't ever a good prospect it wouldn't be worth it, but I think if we hang on to him and he shows something at the big league level we'll be able to get something for him.

Some teams that may need a 2B at some point this season:

Angels if Kendrick is hurt again and Aybar still can't hit, making Izturis a starter at SS

Pirates

Cardinals

Marlins if they deal Uggla

Mets if Castillo doesn't ever find it again

Padres

Nats

Giants

So, I don't see any harm in hanging on to a talented player. If he doesn't do the job then send him down and let him get claimed if that happens.

And from seeing Betemit at SS this spring, I'm about convinced he'd be a slight upgrade over Paul Konerko at the position. There's almost no way Nix could be worse than him because at least Nix has the hands.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

Getz played 27 games at SS last season. There's no reason to keep a guy like L'bridge that can't hit major league pitching at all right now just to be the backup SS. When Lexi needs a rest, Getz can be the backup SS with Nix playing 2B. Let Betemit focus on the corners with middle INF only in emergency situations.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 09:55 PM)
Hopefully...

1. Getz, 2B (he's gonna have to be a full time starter, vs. lefty and righty. I'll be pissed if we see Ozzie do a dumbass thing and bat BA or Fields leadoff vs. lefties)

2. Ramirez, SS (Ozzie better not make us go through another year with Pierzynski in the 2 hole)

3. Quentin, LF

4. Dye, RF

5. Thome, DH

6. Konerko, 1B

7. Pierzynski, C

8. Fields, 3B

9. Anderson, CF

I'm not expecting much out of Getz his rookie year, but I know he's a hell of a lot better than either Wise or Owens.

I am somewhat surprised to be saying this, but I completely agree with you. That would be my lineup as well, although knowing Ozzie, even if he tried something like this, he might switch Dye and Thome so that you won't have 3 righties in a row at any point in the lineup.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)
If Alexi and Getz mesh this year and do their job, what happens to Beckham........

I say this because Getz could be the player they need and want at the top of the order and have been loking for, for some time.

We fortunately have some flexibility to deal with this. Obviously Alexei has CF experience. However, there's always the possibility of Getz being shifted to 3b. Or Beckham.

I think the time's going to come when it's Fields and Viciedo in the LF & DH slots, but obviously it's all in the future.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
We fortunately have some flexibility to deal with this. Obviously Alexei has CF experience. However, there's always the possibility of Getz being shifted to 3b. Or Beckham.

I think the time's going to come when it's Fields and Viciedo in the LF & DH slots, but obviously it's all in the future.

I don't think you'll ever see Fields in LF for the Sox, again. Third, first or gone.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 09:55 PM)
Hopefully...

1. Getz, 2B (he's gonna have to be a full time starter, vs. lefty and righty. I'll be pissed if we see Ozzie do a dumbass thing and bat BA or Fields leadoff vs. lefties)

2. Ramirez, SS (Ozzie better not make us go through another year with Pierzynski in the 2 hole)

3. Quentin, LF

4. Dye, RF

5. Thome, DH

6. Konerko, 1B

7. Pierzynski, C

8. Fields, 3B

9. Anderson, CF

I'm not expecting much out of Getz his rookie year, but I know he's a hell of a lot better than either Wise or Owens.

^^^^

Im guessing its going to be exactly that. Ozzie mentioned that he would occasionally hit Anderson or Fields leadoff as well. That kinda tells us all that Anderson will be our starting CF which im perfectly okay with. Our defense up the middle will be strong with Ramirez/Getz and Anderson patrolling CF. Our lineup is still pretty slow in the middle but in the AL you pretty much have that with most teams. Lets get the season started!

If Getz is a real solid 2B, and Beckham tears it up at Birmingham this year at SS, I hope Alexei is the one that gets traded. You can't trade a guy like Beckham because not only is he possibly a great player, he's the type that could be the face of the franchise for the next decade. You can market Beckham a helluva lot more than Alexei Ramirez.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 11:41 AM)

I think Viciedo will eventually be our everday LF. If Dye comes back next year, it will be via our new DH.

I think there is a possibility that Ramirez could play CF next year if Beckham tears it up down in triple A. A lot of that depends on how BA plays in CF this year.

We could easily see this next year:

Getz 2B

Ramirez CF

Quentin RF

Dye DH (I wouldn't be suprised if the Sox picked up Abreu instead for cheaper)

Konerko 1B

Pierzynski C

Beckham SS

Fields 3B

Viciedo LF

Rotation: Buerhle, Floyd, Danks, Marquez, Poreda

We will slowly get younger while staying competitive at the same time.... For the first time in awhile i am damn excited about this teams future.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 12:04 PM)
If Getz is a real solid 2B, and Beckham tears it up at Birmingham this year at SS, I hope Alexei is the one that gets traded. You can't trade a guy like Beckham because not only is he possibly a great player, he's the type that could be the face of the franchise for the next decade. You can market Beckham a helluva lot more than Alexei Ramirez.

Pujols and Vlad are not particularly marketable guys, I'd trade them away too.

Payroll in the past has been independent of whether or not we had a big star personality on the team, so as long as that's up, I dont care. Gimme the best team. AR is more valuable here than in trade, especially with that contract.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 12:04 PM)

This is just stupid. If Ramirez and Getz form a solid MI combo, we are gonna have to move Beckham to a new position, and that's that. Now this can all change, but best case scenario is that Getz and Ramirez tear it up both on O and D, Viceido or Fields become the answer for 3B, and Beckham rakes but has to move to LF (and be able to play SS, 3B, and 2B in a pinch). With Beckham's power potential, he would hopefully be able to produce for a corner OF (however, I hate having numbers based on what position you play), and he should be able to provide solid D as well considering his arm strength and speed. If everything fell into place, our lineup in about 3 years would look something like:

1. Getz, 2B

2. Ramirez, SS

3. Quentin, RF

4. Konerko, 1B/DH

5. Viciedo, 3B (I don't think much of Fields, so I'll go with Viciedo)

6. Beckham, LF

7. Allen, 1B/DH

8. Flowers, C

9. Danks/Anderson, CF

However, I highly doubt this will happen as odds of everything panning out with our young players are extremely unlikely.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)
This is just stupid. If Ramirez and Getz form a solid MI combo, we are gonna have to move Beckham to a new position, and that's that. Now this can all change, but best case scenario is that Getz and Ramirez tear it up both on O and D, Viceido or Fields become the answer for 3B, and Beckham rakes but has to move to LF (and be able to play SS, 3B, and 2B in a pinch). With Beckham's power potential, he would hopefully be able to produce for a corner OF (however, I hate having numbers based on what position you play), and he should be able to provide solid D as well considering his arm strength and speed. If everything fell into place, our lineup in about 3 years would look something like:

1. Getz, 2B

2. Ramirez, SS

3. Quentin, RF

4. Konerko, 1B/DH

5. Viciedo, 3B (I don't think much of Fields, so I'll go with Viciedo)

6. Beckham, LF

7. Allen, 1B/DH

8. Flowers, C

9. Danks/Anderson, CF

However, I highly doubt this will happen as odds of everything panning out with our young players are extremely unlikely.

Say they go to the All-Star break, and Getz and Ramirez are both playing like All-stars. Do you move Beckham to left field right away, since you know the future is Getz and Alexei in the middle infield?

I'd just like to see them settle on a position for Beckham, and stick with it. He's got his mind set on being a major league shortstop. I'd like to see that happen with the White Sox, but the main thing is not to start messing with his head.

I dont want to declare Beckham unable to do anything. But I get wary when I hear right out of college that he doesnt project as a good SS at the mlb level.

I dont close the door obviously, but I dont just put him there solely because he's most comfortable there. Your people determine where he can have the most success foremost.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 12:27 PM)
Say they go to the All-Star break, and Getz and Ramirez are both playing like All-stars. Do you move Beckham to left field right away, since you know the future is Getz and Alexei in the middle infield?

I'd just like to see them settle on a position for Beckham, and stick with it. He's got his mind set on being a major league shortstop. I'd like to see that happen with the White Sox, but the main thing is not to start messing with his head.

I say no. First and foremost we want Beckham to hit. If you're a good athlete like Beckham, the switch from SS (or 2B) to LF should be a fairly easy one, and a move you could hold off on until spring training when you are done with free agency and trades.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)
Moving Beckham to the OF is going to severely diminish his value. His bat certainly doesn't project him being in the upper tier of OF's(corner OF's to boot). A lot of Beckham's appeal is his hitting ability a tough position to field.

Unless yr talking about trade value, i dont get it.

He sure as heck has a chance at being better with the bat than any OF in the organization, perhaps minus Quentin.

I think the player's value is relative to the situation. Obviously if by 2010, Getz and Fields pan out, and AR has an amazing defensive year..... but we're stuck with a subpar corner outfielder.... then his greatest value comes in moving to fill the slot.

EDIT: If we really want to break it down, lets analyze all the spots that are going to open up in 1-2 years. You're going to need a DH, 1B, a corner outfielder...you'll still likely need either a CF or IF, one of whom can leadoff.

I would like to think we go out and get a free agent OF who locks the position down - a lot of money will have come off the books. But assuming one of Allen or Viciedo wont pan out, you have to think Beckham or AR will make sense as a move to OF. There's actually too much talent in IF as we stand. Low paid, long term talent too.

In short I think we're gonna one day have two OF spots available. One hopefully will be a solid FA, the other could be an inhouse guy being shifted around. Possibly Becks or AR. Or Fields too.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)
Moving Beckham to the OF is going to severely diminish his value. His bat certainly doesn't project him being in the upper tier of OF's(corner OF's to boot). A lot of Beckham's appeal is his hitting ability a tough position to field.

If he can hit, he can hit, you shouldn't care what position he is at. If Ramirez and Getz gel as a SS and 2B combo, it would be stupid to change it up.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 01:46 PM)
If he can hit, he can hit, you shouldn't care what position he is at. If Ramirez and Getz gel as a SS and 2B combo, it would be stupid to change it up.

True, but I'd much, much, much rather have that kind of bat at a MIF position than in the OF... players like that don't come along very often. Why would you say that guys like Chase Utley, Hanley Ramirez, Brian Roberts etc. are so highly rated? It wouldn't be that way if they were outfielders, they'd be solid players for sure but nothing like what they are now.

edit: And yeah, if Getz ends up being an All-Star (like the expectations we have of Beckham right now - I like Getz but I really doubt this) then we're talking a totally different scenario - that is a really good problem to have actually.

Edited by lostfan

One thing I like about our current club's outlook is that we have several years of rights to young talent at some of the tougher positions to get thru free agency.

We're set up nicely to have the tough spots locked up and the we can go out and get the Jermaine Dye type acquisition from 05, where you have a power guy perhaps going thru an off year and will come relatively cheaply.

OF/1B/DH is always out there.

Edited by Princess Dye