Gavin Floyd signs 4-year extension

DaTank

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you refuse to sign free agents to market deals, then you have to do stuff like this. I'm fine with it.

putting a staff together piecemeal is how we did it immediately prior to 05. If it means payroll stays up later by getting big bashers in the lineup (once Dye/Pk/JT are gone) then i will be ok with doing it this way.

But Danks is smart to wait and see.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 02:30 PM)
None.

Do we know there's no options involved because this is an incredibly risky move with only a moderate payoff if there aren't.

Alright there's an option for 2013. That makes much more sense.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
My Guess:

2009: $500K

2010: $2.5M

2011: $5M

2012: $7M

2013: $9.5M team option, $500K

If Gavin puts up the type of numbers that Garland put up while he was here (32 starts, 220 IP, 4.5 era, and keeps the ball down) that is a great, great deal.

It was a good deal at the time. No one could have predicted that MacDougal would never find the strike zone again.

It's still a complete waste of cash.

If I bought a bunch of stocks in a company that would completely collapse 6 months it would be a bad deal no matter how many pennies on the dollar I spent.

Don't think Cleveland regrets the deal they gave Travis Hafner? What about the Royals with Angel Berrora? But, but he was the rookie of the year! It looked so good at the time.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)
It's still a complete waste of cash.

If I bought a bunch of stocks in a company that would completely collapse 6 months it would be a bad deal no matter how many pennies on the dollar I spent.

Don't think Cleveland regrets the deal they gave Travis Hafner? What about the Royals with Angel Berrora? But, but he was the rookie of the year! It looked so good at the time.

I don't disagree with you that is was a bad deal, but you can't really fault anyone for making such a deal.

Edited by BearSox

I don't disagree with you that is was a bad deal, but you can't really fault anyone for making such a deal.

Sure you can. They were buying high on a guy giving him a long term deal when he wasn't a free agent for year to come. Same thing with Gavin here.

Why not pay him the minimum for 1 more year to see if last season was abnormal or a sign of better things to come?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 03:19 PM)
I would have waited one more year with him before signing him to an extension. Floyd can still go either way, IMO. However, luckily none of the money is a ridiculous amount if this doesn't pan out.

If you wait one more year with Floyd, he's looking at 3 years, $18-20 mill plus an option worth probably $10-12 mill. Buying out these years now is the way to go, even if it's a bit risky.