Gavin Floyd signs 4-year extension

DaTank

If you wait one more year with Floyd, he's looking at 3 years, $18-20 mill plus an option worth probably $10-12 mill. Buying out these years now is the way to go, even if it's a bit risky.

Sorry, but we don't really know that especially with this changing market. I am aware of much more established starting pitchers getting great deals, but what are you basing those numbers on? What's wrong with keeping him hungry, especially for a guy with such a shaky track record?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 03:48 PM)
Sorry, but we don't really know that especially with this changing market. I am aware of much more established starting pitchers getting great deals, but what are you basing those numbers on? What's wrong with keeping him hungry, especially for a guy with such a shaky track record?

The market for a starting pitcher who puts up a 3.50-4.00 ERA two years in a row is going to be more expensive than if he's just had one 3.50 ERA year. I figure that's pretty common knowledge, even if the economy gets worse before it gets better.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)

I think it's just the opposite with him. The Sox are showing confidence in him and that has seemed to be the big difference in his turnaround.

QUOTE (shakes @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
I think it's just the opposite with him. The Sox are showing confidence in him and that has seemed to be the big difference in his turnaround.

For whatever reason I agree with you. I think Gavin is the type of guy you want to pat on the bottom and give him a biscuit for doing good. I think this was a great signing for KW.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 06:06 PM)
Anyone see the Sox going back and offering him another deal? Not gonna happen

Definitely not right now. Danks is a better pitcher but I think there may be more concerns for injuries with him, so they'll let him pitch a bit throughout the year before increasing the offer to him.

Smart move for the club but always a dumb move for a player. I can see why a pitcher would do this but I still don't agree with it. If you are a stud player and you get to those arbitration years its time to get paid. Imagine if Gavin wins another 17 or 18 games this next year he would have had a huge pay day next year in arbitration, that is when you sign the extension. Look at young stud Evan Longoria with his signing an extension last year, if he would have just waited a couple of years he could have made the money he is getting now plus much more. Now the most he will make in a single year (if TB picks up his options) is 14 million in 2016!!!! A total ripoff for him and a smart business move by Mr. Friedman. You want to look at how you do it if you are a player check out what Ryan Howard did. I hope for QUentin and John Danks sake they wait until they get another year under and then start talking extension.

With the Sox offering contracts to Danks, Floyd, and TCQ, you can see what the teams mentality is. Capialize on the fear going on in the marketplace right now and try to lock up as many of these players as they can long term. While the market for the bottom players and old players really fell off, the market for top players really did not. The Sox are looking ahead to realize that young players with loads of talent aren't going to get cheaper, and locking them up sooner, rather than later, would be in the best interest of the payroll long term. Smart thinking.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 08:12 AM)
Where are people hearing this and the Danks thing? I've only seen it from posters here.

I think it was said in the article and basically acknowledged as fact by KW.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 08:27 AM)
Article, KW, and 670 this morning.

Yeah, I keep seeing Sox beat writers talk about certain things being certain, and then followed by quotes from Ozzie or KW that make it seem far from certain. I am therefore skeptical of it.

But I didn't hear anything on the radio or from KW as a quote, so if he said it, then there it is.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 09:02 AM)
Yeah, I keep seeing Sox beat writers talk about certain things being certain, and then followed by quotes from Ozzie or KW that make it seem far from certain. I am therefore skeptical of it.

But I didn't hear anything on the radio or from KW as a quote, so if he said it, then there it is.

From MLB.com

Apparently, that meeting of the minds did not extend to Danks and Quentin. Williams explained Sunday that the same offer given to Floyd was put on the table for Danks, but the interest wasn't returned in what the White Sox were talking about.

"At this point, as I explained to the players, 'No harm, no foul,'" said Williams, prior to Sunday's Cactus League game against Oakland. "I explained to the players that we wanted to do something in the spirit of building that next core.

"Also, as I explained to each individual player, once you have as many players under contract I believe as possible, you can begin the process of trying to win baseball games, vs. having guys that are worried so much about their statistics, individual statistics. You get to a level of play that I believe is more unselfish."

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 09:09 AM)
From MLB.com

Apparently, that meeting of the minds did not extend to Danks and Quentin. Williams explained Sunday that the same offer given to Floyd was put on the table for Danks, but the interest wasn't returned in what the White Sox were talking about.

"At this point, as I explained to the players, 'No harm, no foul,'" said Williams, prior to Sunday's Cactus League game against Oakland. "I explained to the players that we wanted to do something in the spirit of building that next core.

"Also, as I explained to each individual player, once you have as many players under contract I believe as possible, you can begin the process of trying to win baseball games, vs. having guys that are worried so much about their statistics, individual statistics. You get to a level of play that I believe is more unselfish."

Cool, thanks. That I believe. I didn't see those quotes in what I read yesterday, but I didn't look at MLB.com.

Interesting re-signing, considering that Floyd fell off a bit in the 2nd half of last season, and he still gave up over 30 HR's IIRC.

But if he can put up what he did last season for the duration of his contract, it's a good deal for the Sox.

I'd say there's a 50/50 chance of that happening though. I think at least Gavin has shown to be a very durable pitcher over his career so far.

Last season, I saw Floyd pitch above his head for the first two months of the season, as he was getting very fortunate breaks that he probably did not deserve. As the season wore on, regression to the means occurred, but Floyd also developed as a pitcher a little more, and you could see him adjusting as the season wore on. Even though Danks is the best pitcher on the Sox right now, I still think Floyd has the highest ceiling of them all, and if his stuff slowly starts coming back to him, which it looked like at times throughout last season, he is going to be a damn good pitcher in the future.