Oakland A's versus CHISOX (3/22)

caulfield12

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2...chamlb_oakmlb_1

Let's try to break this funk we're in...Ryan Sweeney hitting .425 coming into the game, fwiw. Heard that Gio was battling some injury problems. Also, this is the Orlando Cabrera "reunion" game.

They expect a lot out of this Mazzaro kid that's on the mound today. Supposedly one of their three future aces.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)
i was just thinking about it... how sick would it be if we still had him... solve our CF and leadoff issues... *sigh*

The Sox wanted him to hit for power. The A's allow him to be who he is...a slap hitter, and a pretty good outfielder.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)
The Sox wanted him to hit for power. The A's allow him to be who he is...a slap hitter, and a pretty good outfielder.

i'm just gonna indulge my nostalgia for a second...

Sweeney CF

Beckham 2B

Quentin LF

Ramirez SS

Fields 3B

Viciedo 1B

if only...

I don't think Sweeney would be the long-term solution in USCF witht the corner outfielders we have now...well, I guess we'll have to compare overall stats with the likely platoon situation we're going into and see if we can at least get an 800 OPS out of CF this season. It won't be easy. I don't think Sweeney will ever be much higher than 775-825 either.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)

I don't think they "wanted" him to hit for power...they were just waiting for him to become the type of hitter who would at least give you 15-18 homers and 30+ doubles per season, something like Aaron Rowand.

The White Sox could afford a gap hitter in their line-up if he had a 340-350 OBP and stole 15-25 bags per season and played well above average defense at that position. What they really need is a combination of Anderson and Sweeney...as both are incomplete CFers (if you look at it "holistically").

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
I don't think Sweeney would be the long-term solution in USCF witht the corner outfielders we have now...well, I guess we'll have to compare overall stats with the likely platoon situation we're going into and see if we can at least get an 800 OPS out of CF this season. It won't be easy. I don't think Sweeney will ever be much higher than 775-825 either.

CF being thought of as a power position is the fault of the likes of Griffey and Torii Hunter. I'd be more than happy with a fast, slap hitting, base stealing, decent obp guy who's a plus fielder over the likes of Jerry flippin' Owens and Brian Anderson.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 02:09 PM)
i'm just gonna indulge my nostalgia for a second...

Sweeney CF

Beckham 2B

Quentin LF

Ramirez SS

Fields 3B

Viciedo 1B

if only...

You need to have someone (like Brandon Allen) in there to provide some LH balance.

The last week has really been a pretty boring/disappointing one for White Sox followers. Viciedo/Flowers/Allen all gone, none unexpected, but they made the games more exciting to follow, and Becks has finally cooled off as well.

There isn't much drama left, just the CF situation and what will happen with Marquez/Poreda and the final bullpen spot and/or Colon's status.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 03:12 PM)
I honestly believe some guys succeed in the right situation. Sweeney wasn't in the right situation here. His style of play and personality fit a lot better out there. I'm over that trade.

I'm just biased too because I'm from Iowa City, IA - 20 minutes from Cedar Rapids, where he's from. So he was always a fav. of mine.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
CF being thought of as a power position is the fault of the likes of Griffey and Torii Hunter. I'd be more than happy with a fast, slap hitting, base stealing, decent obp guy who's a plus fielder over the likes of Jerry flippin' Owens and Brian Anderson.

Yeah, I guess it's just like 10 years ago when Nomar, Tejada, Jeter, Renteria, etc., started to make SS an offensive position and not an Ozzie Guillen-esque one.

There just aren't that many Grady Sizemores out there...Andruw Jones also comes to mind in terms of the power/speed combination. Nate McLouth, to a lesser extent.

Inevitably, we'll return to the Chris Young conversation...it has replaced the Todd Ritchie trade, along with the two Nick Swisher deals, for most debated moves in recent Sox trade history.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)
Yeah, I guess it's just like 10 years ago when Nomar, Tejada, Jeter, Renteria, etc., started to make SS an offensive position and not an Ozzie Guillen-esque one.

There just aren't that many Grady Sizemores out there...Andruw Jones also comes to mind in terms of the power/speed combination. Nate McLouth, to a lesser extent.

Inevitably, we'll return to the Chris Young conversation...it has replaced the Todd Ritchie trade, along with the two Nick Swisher deals, for most debated moves in recent Sox trade history.

you forgot Rey Ordonez.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 02:16 PM)
I'm just biased too because I'm from Iowa City, IA - 20 minutes from Cedar Rapids, where he's from. So he was always a fav. of mine.

Well, in that case, you can always cheer for our new acquisition Gilmore from the Braves.

I went to Iowa and am from Bettendorf, that's why when we have a "native" athlete like Tavian Banks in our state (Roger Craig is also from Davenport), we do want them to succeed, and it would have been nice had he done it for the Sox.

I felt the same way about Jason Bohannon. It sucks to watch him playing for WI when he undoubtedly would have ended up a Hawkeye had it not been for Steve Alfraud messing up the basketball program in IC.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 03:24 PM)
Well, in that case, you can always cheer for our new acquisition Gilmore from the Braves.

I went to Iowa and am from Bettendorf, that's why when we have a "native" athlete like Tavian Banks in our state (Roger Craig is also from Davenport), we do want them to succeed, and it would have been nice had he done it for the Sox.

I felt the same way about Jason Bohannon. It sucks to watch him playing for WI when he undoubtedly would have ended up a Hawkeye had it not been for Steve Alfraud messing up the basketball program in IC.

Gilmore's funny - he's from Iowa City as you know and I never played against him, but I saw him on numerous occasions and my brother actually struck him out once. I am rooting for him, though he's kind of a douchebag... haha

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)
you forgot Rey Ordonez.

I guess it would be the same thing if we took one of Korea's middle infielders from the WBC and stuck him out there at SS and 2B (as playing Rey Ordonez).

At least those are two positions that SEEM to be covered for the near future. But I have been coveting their superfast/leadoff CFer...wondering how our line-up would look if you just added him to the top of the order.

I hope we don't see too many line-ups with Lillibridge and Owens anywhere near each other. EVER. AGAIN.

Shades of Mark Johnson and Royce Clayton..

Sorry, have been with my g/f in the Philippines for the past week...how has Josh Fields been hitting the last week? I see his average is still around .400, but he was starting to strike out more frequently about 10 days ago. When are they sending Beckham out?

It will be nice to see Shelby play a little in the outfield in the next two weeks as well (and Danks). I know he's more of a LFer at this point, but I would be interested to see him in CF just for a couple of games. However, the CF battle coming down to the last week might curtail those opportunities.

Looks like the B10 is now down to two teams already...MSU and Purdue. That Ohio State-Sienna game was a good one, am sure Matta will be second-guessed for the next six months, but they really didn't have much of a chance against LOU. Watch, Sienna will knock off the Cards. Well, I wouldn't bet on that one happening, unless I was wagering my 100 shares of AIG.

4-2 White Sox.

Richard gave up two runs in the bottom of the first but struck out soon-to-be-displaced Bobby Crosby with two runners on base to get out of the inning.

Errors on Lilli (2nd) and Fields (3rd) opened up the floodgates, so neither run was earned. Starting to wonder if Eider Torres might sneak back into the competition for back-up middle infielder with the way Lilli has been going...?

Edited by caulfield12

Nice to see CQ's power coming around the last 7-10 days. I guess that means JO and Alisay both reached? Hmmmm...I guess Owens has two walks now, so how many is that on the spring so far? 10? That can't possibly take his .217 BA to a .350 OBP, could it?

Now we just need a positive April from JD...not a .180 average on May 15th.

Anyone think UK would rethink hiring Gillespie if they could have Travis Ford instead?

Edited by caulfield12