Oakland A's versus CHISOX (3/22)

caulfield12

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
Is it possible that Betemit is starting to match what scouts once saw in him? His bat seems better than a bench player.

I think you are catching a glimpse of what the braves saw for a brief second. The guy has flashed it before, but he hasnt been able to be consistent

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^ Didn't he recently get contacts or something like that? I'm sure that's helping.

Richard just does not seem to be able to make it through a lineup multiple times. First time through he's great, but he can't do much after that.

Edited by chunk23

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)
Is it possible that Betemit is starting to match what scouts once saw in him? His bat seems better than a bench player.

i try not to get too excited about spring training performances from guys who have been in the league for a while. hopefully he can carry this over into the regular season though

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 04:18 PM)
Richard just does not seem to be able to make it through a lineup multiple times. First time through he's great, but he can't do much after that.

Keep in mind that the starters are working on refining specific pitches, not pulling out all the stops to get a guy out.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 05:04 PM)
I just wonder what has Lillibridge done last year and this spring to justify a roster spot?

He hasn't done squat, but...

He's the only healthy reserve player we have who can backup at SS.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 05:22 PM)
Jerry Owens: 0-2, 3 BB's, 3 runs, 2 stolen bases

Boo.

If Jerry Owens was FA this winter, he would have had to sign a minor league contract. He's going to leadoff for the White Sox unless KW can pull a rabbit out of his hat and get Figgins or someone else.

Of course, if he goes 0-2 with 3 BB and 2 SB every day, the Sox would be in good shape. I just think unfortunately, he's showing enough where the White Sox won't give up on him. 3 or 4 years ago, I was a big Owens fan, then I saw him play. I honestly think Pods or a guy like Chris Duffy, and obviously neither are world beaters, are better than Owens. I also think Owens is better than Wise as an everyday or platoon guy. Wise is probably a better 5 AB a week guy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 05:30 PM)
If Jerry Owens was FA this winter, he would have had to sign a minor league contract. He's going to leadoff for the White Sox unless KW can pull a rabbit out of his hat and get Figgins or someone else.

Of course, if he goes 0-2 with 3 BB and 2 SB every day, the Sox would be in good shape. I just think unfortunately, he's showing enough where the White Sox won't give up on him. 3 or 4 years ago, I was a big Owens fan, then I saw him play. I honestly think Pods or a guy like Chris Duffy, and obviously neither are world beaters, are better than Owens. I also think Owens is better than Wise as an everyday or platoon guy. Wise is probably a better 5 AB a week guy.

I thoroughly enjoy the Owens fans but i must truly say that if indeed the sox worked on him this offseason to improve the probability of him making the starting lineup someone wasted a lot of energy and time. I watched jerry in about 4 spring training games and although he seems adequate at center he cannot hit a lick and this spring is having problems stealing unless you count the money he is abscounding from the team pretending to be a mlb ready player.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 05:35 PM)
Well, people will soon realize he's taking so many pitches because he's running injured and swings a very weak bat. It won't last.

There were a lot of people on this board who say he has absolutely no redeeming qualities, who were saying the exact opposite in Sept. 2007. You would think the Sox should be in a position to take on some money, so maybe they are just being patient, giving him the rope to hang himself, and a better player may be available for less when the noose does its job.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 12:06 AM)
Kroeger 2 for 2 . Am I nuts for entertaining thoughts of keeping Kroeger and one of Owens or Wise is gone ?

There's been no buzz about Kroeger over the past few weeks making the big league team.

Wow, what a brutal box score. I see Brent Lillibridge -- who's only purpose on the ML squad would be his defense -- committed 2 errors today he now has 3 on the spring, he also K'd a few times putting his spring BB/K at 1/20 extrapolate that over 600 AB and it comes out to 12 walks compared to 240 strikeouts. I'm not sure I've ever seen a .05 BB/K before. Hey, if he goes 0-4 w/ 4 K in his next game (hardly out of the realm of possibility) he'll have twice as many K's as total bases. I believe that's the definition of overmatched.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 02:57 AM)
Wow, what a brutal box score. I see Brent Lillibridge -- who's only purpose on the ML squad would be his defense -- committed 2 errors today he now has 3 on the spring, he also K'd a few times putting his spring BB/K at 1/20 extrapolate that over 600 AB and it comes out to 12 walks compared to 240 strikeouts. I'm not sure I've ever seen a .05 BB/K before. Hey, if he goes 0-4 w/ 4 K in his next game (hardly out of the realm of possibility) he'll have twice as many K's as total bases. I believe that's the definition of overmatched.

Tonight's Chicagosports article says he's leading for the utility spot.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 08:58 PM)

I wonder, if Chris Getz suffered an injury tomorrow would we have a Tony Pena Jr. situation on our hands with Lillibridge?

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 08:58 PM)

lilli was a throw in, he cant hit. and hes not even playing good defense so far. he deserves a spot bcuz he can play a few positions? dumb. might as well have kept uribe :huh: