Getz 2B

Quentin LF

Dye RF

Pierzynski C

Alexei SS

Kroeger 1B

Fields 3B

Richard P

Lets see if Jerry Owens can put the final nail in the coffin with another poor performance today. Still waiting for the only true top of the lineup hitter on the roster to get a start in the leadoff spot, I probably shouldn't hold my breath.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)
Owens CF

Getz 2B

Quentin LF

Dye RF

Pierzynski C

Alexei SS

Kroeger 1B

Fields 3B

Richard P

Lets see if Jerry Owens can put the final nail in the coffin with another poor performance today. Still waiting for the only true top of the lineup hitter on the roster to get a start in the leadoff spot, I probably shouldn't hold my breath.

I don't think Ozzie wants Konerko to lead off though.

:lolhitting

Anyway, seriously, I am surprised to see Kroeger still in camp. And playing 1B instead of OF.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)
That. The joke that Jerry Owens is needs to die.

i still find it comical that he just focused on his baserunning in the offseaon instead of hitting. and hes been bad on the base paths , to top it off!lol too bad we cant say bye to wise too :(

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)
Owens CF

Getz 2B

Quentin LF

Dye RF

Pierzynski C

Alexei SS

Kroeger 1B

Fields 3B

Richard P

You know, i can honestly say i never noticed that AL pitchers hit during Spring Training games. I always figured they just used DHs for the AL teams, even when the NL is home. :unsure:

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 07:03 PM)
You know, i can honestly say i never noticed that AL pitchers hit during Spring Training games. I always figured they just used DHs for the AL teams, even when the NL is home. :unsure:

Clayton just pitched on Sunday too. Surprised about the 5 day rotation in Spring Training.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 03:12 PM)
Bad start for Jerry, a weak popout to left is about as bad as it gets for him in the eyes of management (remember groundouts = infield pwnage) and I believe it was on the first pitch.

Its pretty sad if Owens fate hasn't already been decided. I don't know why a guy going 0-4 in a spring training game or 3-4 should make much of a difference at this point. If the White Sox see Owens as a contributing major league player, they are in the minority. Let Getz leadoff and let Jerry go home.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
First three players single against Richard. And yes DA, it's pathetic Owens hasn't had his fate determined already.

Why would they cut him early if he's out of options?

Not saying he's going to turn it around but there's no upside to it. If your pinch runner Lillibridge gets hurt, you have Owens to fall back on.

That's the downside to doing it, there's no upside.

I'm glad fan-type passion is absent from most coaching staffs out there.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)

Not saying he's going to turn it around but there's no upside to it. If your pinch runner Lillibridge gets hurt, you have Owens to fall back on.

He's still fighting for a starting spot. Why not have the guy who should leadoff during the season get a whirl there before the season starts? The question I have is why ignore what has happened his whole career and base everything on a couple of exibition games at the end of a brutally long spring training? Don't they know Jerry Owens yet? Are their opinions really going to change if he gets a couple of hits? What value other than a pinch runner does he have? Can a team that will carry 12 pitchers keep a guy around just to pinch run? Besides, its not like he's been tearing up the basepaths this spring.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)

Well for one: there's no reason for a guy who probably won't be with the organization 2 weeks from now to be leading off this late in the spring and two: it's not exactly hard to find a pinch runner (and Lillibridge will not be the "pinch runner" he's the utility infielder, something Owens is not), in fact Jerry Owens would be a pretty awful fit since he can't play the infield and he's a pretty pathetic base runner. There are talentless fast guys placed on waivers everyday, if something happened to Lillibridge (oh, god forbid) KW could sign a clone within the hour.