Dayan Viciedo to B'ham...

JPN366

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
Makes more sense IMO anyway. He is seriously raw, and needs to learn how to hit without short fences.

^^^^^^^^^

Exactly. Birmingham is a much better place for him to start. It will enforce the discipline of trying to hit line drives rather than swinging for the fences.

Plus, he'll have a Spanish speaking manager there.

I have a feeling JPN366 is going to be having alot of fun at games this year. We may have to take up a collection and buy him a digital video camera to catch some of the action.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)
^^^^^^^^^

Exactly. Birmingham is a much better place for him to start. It will enforce the discipline of trying to hit line drives rather than swinging for the fences.

I have a feeling JPN366 is going to be having alot of fun at games this year. We may have to take up a collection and buy him a digital video camera to catch some of the action.

I can always set up a Pay Pal account... ;)

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
Makes more sense IMO anyway. He is seriously raw, and needs to learn how to hit without short fences.

340 down the lines, 405 to center & about 370 to the alleys. No wind blowing out because of the large concrete facade, but sometimes it swirls through the park. Also, it isn't ground level, it was cut out of a hill. Regions Park is where flyballs go to die.

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)

Ever Magallanes was the hitting coach for Mexico in the WBC, that seems to cause me a little concern for the Barons. Plus, Andy Tomberlin is the new hitting coach, and I'm not so sure he has any business whatsover doing that job.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
He's been moved from Charlotte's roster to B'ham's roster. Wow, the loaded Barons just got more loaded.

Just curious...what's the source for this move? I saw on MILB that he's listed on the Birmingham roster, but how reliable is that?

On CJ Retherford, I haven't really followed him, but based on his 2008 I don't see how he could be asked to repeat Winston-Salem. If he's a good 3B, I hope he's moved up to Birmingham. He could be a nice trade piece.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)
Just curious...what's the source for this move? I saw on MILB that he's listed on the Birmingham roster, but how reliable is that?

On CJ Retherford, I haven't really followed him, but based on his 2008 I don't see how he could be asked to repeat Winston-Salem. If he's a good 3B, I hope he's moved up to Birmingham. He could be a nice trade piece.

He had been listed on Charlotte's roster, now he's on B'ham's. That's all I know, but I doubt it was an accident.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)

He absolutely deserves the promotion. He was an undrafted free agent coming out of Arizona St. and hasn't done anything but mash the ball since we signed him and stuck him at 3B

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 03:20 PM)
He had been listed on Charlotte's roster, now he's on B'ham's. That's all I know, but I doubt it was an accident.

Could be an accident.

Aaron Poreda is listed on the Baron's roster too. And I think it's a given that he's going to be in Charlotte.

So... who knows? We'll find out pretty soon.

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 04:52 PM)
Could be an accident.

Aaron Poreda is listed on the Baron's roster too. And I think it's a given that he's going to be in Charlotte.

So... who knows? We'll find out pretty soon.

True, but he's been listed on the Barons roster since last season and Gordon Beckham is still listed on Kanny's roster. Moving Viciedo to B'ham's roster is interesting none the least. I guess we'll see. All I'm hearing now is that Poreda's coming back to B'ham to start again, as I suggested he would.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 06:49 PM)
True, but he's been listed on the Barons roster since last season and Gordon Beckham is still listed on Kanny's roster. Moving Viciedo to B'ham's roster is interesting none the least. I guess we'll see. All I'm hearing now is that Poreda's coming back to B'ham to start again, as I suggested he would.

If Poreda, Beckham, and Viciedo all start the year in Birmingham, then I'm coming down for several games... with my video cam.

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 08:24 PM)
If Poreda, Beckham, and Viciedo all start the year in Birmingham, then I'm coming down for several games... with my video cam.

Let me know when, I'll get you in for free and you can join us down by the dugout. I know the ushers well, so I can usually bring an extra person or two down there if I want. Although my wife doesn't attend as many games as I do, so half the time, I have an extra ticket. If you're in Rockford, Illinois, then I can give you driving directions from at least Mt. Vernon.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 28, 2009 -> 08:38 AM)
Makes more sense this way... and IIRC, Reatherford can play a bunch of positions on the field and he should be able to find a spot on the team. I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't be one of the 8 best hitters on the team.

Hope so, I don't know who might be the other outfielders except John Shelby III. So, it's possible he could play LF if not 3B. Although I think Retherford and Viciedo will rotate between 3B and DH.

• 2 weeks later...

The rosters should be released any day now. But in reference to the earlier posts about Birmingham and Charlotte rosters, they mean absolutely nothing during the off-season and spring training. They are simply paper rosters which mean very little in terms of where guy's will actually end up.

For example, the Major League roster has 40 players, yet only 25 are on the active squad. That leaves 15 players that will end up on Minor League clubs, barring injury/DL situations. This creates a downward spiral with players on the AAA roster getting pushed to AA and so on. So until the final rosters are set, those paper rosters aren't reliable at all.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 28, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
Hope so, I don't know who might be the other outfielders except John Shelby III. So, it's possible he could play LF if not 3B. Although I think Retherford and Viciedo will rotate between 3B and DH.

I would hope Viciedo doesnt play any DH . The Sox have enough of those types already. The Sox need to put him at 3rd and keep him there or an outfield position.