How many errors between Alexei and Josh combined for 2009?

Cubano

QUOTE (DanksFan @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)
Since no one else has said anything yet, I guess I will be the first to say it.

wtf?

I am not clear wtf means but I imagine is "what the Fuc_".

If that the case, I am going to pull a Guillen type comment: "You americans only teach me bad English" Ha, ha, ha.

Don't you think this is a real scenario? I hope no, but I am not so sure it won't happen.

I think Fields will make more errors than Alexei, but the most glaring problem at 3B this year will be his lack of range. We will see some real good plays from him at times and on other plays not so good. Alexei has a strong throwing arm and will make some real dandy plays out there, but may mess up on some easy ones if he loses concentration

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 01:43 PM)
The Sox made 50 errors last year between 3rd and SS.

33 at 3rd. 17 at SS.

I'll say they have about the same this year.

Good catch!

Then, we can rise to the top once more. 3B was horrendus in 2008 with 33 errors! If Fields surpass 33 errors, then close the stadium doors until next season. I think Alexei will make 25 errors or so. I am not counting mental errors.

QUOTE (DanksFan @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)
Since no one else has said anything yet, I guess I will be the first to say it.

wtf?

Actually this is one of your better threads Cubano.

That side of the infield is going to be VERY raw this season.

I remember early in the offseason I rated Alexei as a below average defensive shortstop; and I really got ripped a new one for it. So much so that even I started to believe I was wrong. But so far Alexei hasn't shown me anything that would lead me to believe he will be an above average SS in '09. Sure, he'll make a few plays others wouldn't, but he is really going to rack up the errors. If I hear Hawk refer to Alexei's arm like it is legendary one more time this spring I am going to puke. Sure he had an big time cannon for a second baseman, and even at shortstop it is impressive, but c'mon now Hawk.

Also, don't forget that Ozzie is destined to find plenty of starts for Betemit in the infield; that certaintly won't help keep the error total down.

Edited by GREEDY

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 07:23 PM)

I remember early in the offseason I rated Alexei as a below average defensive shortstop; and I really got ripped a new one for it. So much so that even I started to believe I was wrong. But so far Alexei hasn't shown me anything that would lead me to believe he will be an above average SS in '09. Sure, he'll make a few plays others wouldn't, but he is really going to rack up the errors. If I hear Hawk refer to Alexei's arm like it is legendary one more time this spring I am going to puke. Sure he had an big time cannon for a second baseman, and even at shortstop it is impressive, but c'mon now Hawk.

Also, don't forget that Ozzie is destined to find plenty of starts for Betemit in the infield; that certaintly won't help keep the error total down.

Really? There's lots of posters on this board who aren't sold on Alexei being a solid defensive SS, myself included. If you started a thread along the lines of "Do you think Alexei will be a below average defensive SS?" you'd probably get quite a few in that camp.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 06:42 PM)
Really? There's lots of posters on this board who aren't sold on Alexei being a solid defensive SS, myself included. If you started a thread along the lines of "Do you think Alexei will be a below average defensive SS?" you'd probably get quite a few in that camp.

I tried to find it but the search isn't working or I can't figure out how to use it.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 07:47 PM)
I tried to find it but the search isn't working or I can't figure out how to use it.

I've always though the consensus on Alexei was that he was athletic and made flashy plays and has a nice arm, but he was too erratic to be called elite.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)

Hawk is just displaying the marketing campaing for Lexi. This is not new. That what MLB teams do all the time. When you are the guy, they meaning all those who work in TV, radio, team page, etc go in masses to protrait you as the next big thing.

The same thing is happening with Kendry Morales of the Angels now. They are in love with him. Bla, bla, bla.

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)

32 for Fields, 28 from Ramirez.

Floyd may want to throw a few no hit no run. Contreras should be OK. He is a flyball pitcher. Cooper should be instructing his pitchers to throw outside most of the time. ha, ha, ha

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 06:49 PM)
I've always though the consensus on Alexei was that he was athletic and made flashy plays and has a nice arm, but he was too erratic to be called elite.

That's how I see the guy. He makes some incredible plays, but then falls asleep on some routine stuff. When I see him on the field, I see Jose Valentin.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 07:49 AM)
That's how I see the guy. He makes some incredible plays, but then falls asleep on some routine stuff. When I see him on the field, I see Jose Valentin.

Valentin did make errors on routine plays....but the adage that "the guys that make the most errors arent always the worst fielders and the guys that have the best fielding % arent always the best" is true....Valentin had great range...nearly elite....Alexei, not so much...valentin got a bum rap for his poor fielding, but was far better than public perception (though i never will forgive him for dropping a foul pop up behind 3rd vs. the twins that gave the twins the game and sparked them on to a division title....circa 2003?)

Although I would never refer to Valentin as flashy or really dynamic or spectacular at SS, either.

He was very solid, and all the metrics showed that he had a lot more range than Clayton, who was (like Cabrera) reputedly a Gold Glove infielder.

The problem is that the lack of arm strength and average to below-average range prevented Clayton from making many plays that Valentin DID make, but these plays of course didn't show up as errors but as infield singles or perhaps a Fielder's Choice instead of putouts. And there were quite a few double plays that the likes or Valentin or Uribe and now Ramirez could complete that a Cabrera or Royce Clayton couldn't.

You can't look strictly at errors as the be all-end all measure of a good SS, that's for sure...or total chances, total chances/IP, there are hundreds of barometers, but none of them individually are indicative of performance in isolation.