Are the Sox moving Opening Day to Tuesday?

Controlled Chaos

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 01:27 PM)
Has anyone heard this? I saw somebody post something that they hope the Sox make up their minds on when they're going to have it Mon or Tues?

I can't find any info anywhere, so I'm guessing there isn't much to it, but wanted to check with the peeps here in the know.

It's snowing on Monday and Tuesday according to weather.com. Yuck.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
I don't think they'll call it for only being cold. It's going to have to be rainy or snowy as well.

The temps on Tuesday won't be much better, so if it's 35 degrees on Monday, so be it. Play ball.

I agree....I can't see them moving it. If it was another game fine...but this is opening day....Ya can't just pull the old switcheroo.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 01:01 PM)
I've heard no such mention of moving the game to Tuesday anywhere. 35? Snow? Opening Day a normal Monday game, who cares? There would have to be 3 inches plus on the ground for them to cancel a regular season game.

They'll frequently cancel an April game and say it was for the "cold", when it is really a matter of attendance. There's no such attendance issues on opening day, so unless it's REALLY crappy, they'll play ball.

The Sodfather was on the Score this morning. He said they will try to get the game in. The only way they won't is if there is 4 inches or more of snow. They asked him why no Tues and said its looks the same as Mon.

Now I own a car wash and watch the weather close. For almost 5 days it has been 80% to 100% of rain/snow for mon. It has been 20% to 30% of rain on tues and as of now 10% with it being 8 to 10 degrees warmer. Sounds like they will try to play this game no matter what.

He said that Kenny, Jerry and Sod will meet at 8 on mon to discuss it.

A decision on whether the White Sox and Royals will play Monday's first game of the season at U. S. Cellular Field will be made that morning.

"The only decision made [sunday] is that we're going to try to play Monday," said head groundskeeper Roger Bossard. "We'll meet at 8 o'clock [Monday morning] and make a decision. With the weather here, you never know."

Bossard said he was not worried about "an inch or two" of snow because it can be melted with the field's irrigation system. The forecast for Tuesday's scheduled day off "is not that much better," according to Bossard.

this is why they need to just schedule some double headers and shorten the length of the season, remember when Clevelands entire first series 2-years ago with the Mariners was snowed out. I know the owners will never do it for revenue purposes but they should, have a few Saturday day/night DH.

They can't shorten the season cause of monetary reasons. It's too late to even think that.

As far as weather, you never ever know. s*** it was almost 80 degrees in KC a couple weeks ago. It's been in the 70s a lot and now it's 35 with sleet. You just don't know. And the season actually is starting later this year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 5, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
They can't shorten the season cause of monetary reasons. It's too late to even think that.

As far as weather, you never ever know. s*** it was almost 80 degrees in KC a couple weeks ago. It's been in the 70s a lot and now it's 35 with sleet. You just don't know. And the season actually is starting later this year.

By almost a week...

I almost wish MLB schedulers would just take into account that Chicago weather sucks in early April and schedule the Sox on the road until mid-April. Then maybe the Sox could get a nice homestand later in the season

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Apr 5, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
Tuesday it's just supposed to be flurries while on Monday it's supposed to be snow. I bet they cancel and play Tuesday.

Yup. I remember being at a game in 2006 the first week and the wind chill was -20. It was totally effin miserable. The rumor was they were going to move it to Milwaukee inside the dome, but it never happened. They should have.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 5, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)
I almost wish MLB schedulers would just take into account that Chicago weather sucks in early April and schedule the Sox on the road until mid-April. Then maybe the Sox could get a nice homestand later in the season

it really isn't that hard to avoid Chicago, New York, Boston,Cleveland,Detroit,etc. the first few weeks if they just did it right. schedule all dome and warm weather cities as the first week games. of course people would b**** still when the weather is perfect and there is no baseball. its really a no win situation.