Non-game Opening Day Questions/Observations. Answers needed!

LVSoxFan

Yes, a sweet victory in the end for what was a pretty impressive game. So much for smallball, LOL--although I WILL say it was more than sweet to see Fields actually LAY DOWN A BUNT. I'd forgotten what that looks like.

Here are my questions, for those of you who were there too.

a) WTF with those LINES getting in? I've been to five Opening Days in a row and have NEVER seen lines at EACH gate 200, 300 deep. Please tell me that's not going to be an every day thing now!

B) OK, so the whole new Gate 5 building--what is it? I thought the point was it was to have a bar/restaurant/store of some type. When I asked one of the security guys what it was there for--I mean, it looks nice and all--he said they wanted to get rid of the ramps because everybody kept smoking on them. Although maybe he was pulling my leg.

c) Prices. Did anyone notice anything go up besides the tickets? I noticed beer was a quarter more, at least at the stands.

d) How was Lupe Fiasco? I'd have been there, but I was in that LINE.

And RIP Jimbo's, which without a doubt is officially gone, after surviving at least two years on fumes. Sad to walk past it yesterday.

On a side note, I noticed that some players have never changed their songs, LOL. Paulie, Thome...

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 11:58 AM)
Yes, a sweet victory in the end for what was a pretty impressive game. So much for smallball, LOL--although I WILL say it was more than sweet to see Fields actually LAY DOWN A BUNT. I'd forgotten what that looks like.

Here are my questions, for those of you who were there too.

a) WTF with those LINES getting in? I've been to five Opening Days in a row and have NEVER seen lines at EACH gate 200, 300 deep. Please tell me that's not going to be an every day thing now!

d) How was Lupe Fiasco? I'd have been there, but I was in that LINE.

The lines were crazy. I don't ever remember waiting that long to get in either. I'm not sure what the hold up was.

Lupe Fiasco didn't sing. It was Matthew Santos. Santos, apparently is on Fiasco's record label - I'm not too familiar with either singer. Santos was average, really nothing special. The flyover was the best part of the anthem.

The lines were mainly due to all the stuff that was being handed out. People were really slow handing out the flags and stuff and it caused a back up (at least at the gate I went in).

Price seem to be a little up, but nothing ridiculous. The roast beef sandwich and a drink were the same price, but beer is a little higher.

Lupe Fiasco was pretty good, although I didn't pay that much attention.

I didn't go in the Gate 5 thing, but it looks like its just an easier way to get in with ramps and escalators.

Edited by rventura23

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 12:40 PM)
The lines were crazy. I don't ever remember waiting that long to get in either. I'm not sure what the hold up was.

Lupe Fiasco didn't sing. It was Matthew Santos. Santos, apparently is on Fiasco's record label - I'm not too familiar with either singer. Santos was average, really nothing special. The flyover was the best part of the anthem.

Lupe Fiasco performed before the game with Santos, Santos did the anthem

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
$4.75! Slight difference in taste, but they're very good.

i had a hot dog and it was pretty darn good still....

i also had an italian sausage and was very disappointed in it...i have no clue if they still use the same ones as last year or not, but the italian i had wasnt as good as they have been in the past....they very well could use teh same ones, and i just got a bad one, i have no idea

I had a brat in the upper tank from the grill stand, it was the best brat i ever ate! It was hard to find the stand though, all the others had polish and hot dogs, not the brats. Maybe everything tastes better at the ballpark.

What was up with the water in the bathrooms towards the end of the game, did they not pay their water bill?

All i know is i had a beer right when i walked in, apprently the beer lines from the kegs were frozen, but that beer was so cold, it was like a beersicle. totall worth the $6.50.

The flyover kicked ass, as well as the new scorboard. It was kind of hard to read from far away, but i think it is just because i need new glasses.

Oops I forgot about the new scoreboard. Yes, it was impressive, but I really liked the old-school feel of the old one. And they flash off the pitch speed too quickly. Did anybody notice that the center-left scoreboard seemed... dim? Or maybe it was just the sunshine. But I could barely read it standing in front of it.

I caught the fly-by before you guys saw it because I was stuck in the line, LOL. So I literally saw them coming from miles away. That's always awesome.

BTW I think the "singer", if I'm not mistaken, is the guy who sings the hook on "Superstar." Lupe's obviously a rapper.

Nice answer about them handing out stuff... that makes sense now.

I had a polish, as always, and am glad to report that some things never change, nor should they ever. Still the greatest.

They are Vienna Beef dogs. I did not get a hot dog, but i do love evrything else they make.

You can go to the Vienna Factory on Fullerton and each fresh hot dogs in thier cafeteria, those things are so freaking good!

I think the big scoreboard was dim because it was so sunny outside, the true test will come tonight.