Your tricks to maximizing your USCF experience

southsider2k5

So lets hear it from the fans themselves. What are the things you do that make things better when you go to a Sox game. Is there a special street parking area that is free? How about a place to stop and eat before the game in the area? Is there a special vendor who hooks you up? Is there a section that offers the best view of the game? Spill your secrets!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting there...

If possible, take Green Line instead of Red. Takes me all the way to and from game from my home in Oak Park. Also accessible in the loop.

If driving, park in Chinatown (or even one of the two Interparking lots on Wabash in the Loop) and take Red Line (or Green from loop) one stop south to avoid congestion at ball park. Maybe even eat in Chinatown every now and then for a change.

If you insist on driving all the way to USCF, see if you can get a friend in the area to get an extra street parking pass from their alderman. One of my favorite spots to park is just south of 35th on Normal. Very industrial and dirty but there are usually one or two spots available and no one has ever messed with my car.

Use Gate 5 entry across 35th. Much faster than gate 3, at least for me.

Once in the park...

Kosher with onions and mustard. Anything else is a distant second. Not sure about new brand, though.

Kiddie Cone at the Sweet Spot in CF. You do not need to be a kid to order it and it is a nice sized, cheap ($2.50?), and refreshing dessert. No need to get fat on the bigger portion.

Seating...

Views from straightaway RF and LF can't be beat (section 103 by visitor bullpen is my favorite)

Avoid the corners near foul poles. I personally can't stand those views. In some ways they are worse than many UD seats.

Intangibles....

Don't buy anything you have to home take with you, no matter how much the kids beg. If it is a date, judgement call on what you think it will get you and if it is worth it.

Do not split the pot

The t-shirts from the Chevy Pride Crew are some of the worst ever. It is not worth getting injured or injuring someone else over.

No brainer for most here, but...DO NOT THROW BACK ANY HOME RUN BALLS! This is a free souvenir and tossing it back is not our tradition.

One last thing. If you decide to go and don't mind a little uncertainty, wait until an hour or two before game time and see if there are any prime seats that got released by players at last minute. Some really great seats on the infield free up at face around this time.

Edited by Pants Rowland

Some great tips in there, Pants.

Thanks!

Guys, I know that in this economic climate, a trip to the ballpark is a bit of a luxury, but take advantage of the good weather and the beautiful park all you can.

I moved to Las Vegas last July, only been to one game since, and I must say, I took it for granted and miss it now, badly.

I used to turn down the opportunity to go to games all the time. Now I wish I had that chance.

Enjoy our beautiful city and ballpark.

I make sure that part of my experience at the park is completed by me and my friends leaving a massive pile of peanut shells, sunflower seeds, and garbage under our seats. If you don't make a mess, you're doing something wrong. Its part of the experience.

To save money, peanuts and seeds can always be purchased prior to coming to the game for a much much much smaller price than at or near the park.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 02:07 PM)
The t-shirts from the Chevy Pride Crew are some of the worst ever. It is not worth getting injured or injuring someone else over.

never understood why people get all excited for the chevy pride crew. I personally think it needs to go and the shirts are horrible

Edited by rventura23

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
One last thing. If you decide to go and don't mind a little uncertainty, wait until an hour or two before game time and see if there are any prime seats that got released by players at last minute. Some really great seats on the infield free up at face around this time.

Wow, how do I find out about these seats at the ballpark? Do I go to the little ticket windows in front of the ballpark? And do I get to trade in ticket and pay the difference?

The Green Line is more convenient if you are taking the train, you can transfer downtown. I would only suggest it if it is daytime and/or a bunch of people from the sox game are walking down. Night and by yourself might be a bad combination, but it would not be likely if you are going straight after a game.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)
Wow, how do I find out about these seats at the ballpark? Do I go to the little ticket windows in front of the ballpark? And do I get to trade in ticket and pay the difference?

I have not done it in ages, but I believe you can just call on the phone to the Sox charge line. I forget what time before the game the ballpark box office opens, but walking up early and asking is also a great way to check on these seats.

If I recall correctly, when they tell you what is best available, they will probably overlook these last minute released seats. Once they tell you all they have through rest of park, ask if they have anything behind/near home plate and close to the field. They typically check again and say "oh yeah..."

Not sure about trading tickets. Never tried that.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)
I have not done it in ages, but I believe you can just call on the phone to the Sox charge line. I forget what time before the game the ballpark box office opens, but walking up early and asking is also a great way to check on these seats.

If I recall correctly, when they tell you what is best available, they will probably overlook these last minute released seats. Once they tell you all they have through rest of park, ask if they have anything behind/near home plate and close to the field. They typically check again and say "oh yeah..."

Not sure about trading tickets. Never tried that.

Thanks a bunch for answering, Pants, I appreciate it.

If you don't mind, can I ask one more question?

About how much do these "players released" tickets cost? You said half off or something like that, but about how much would that end up being?

Sorry for being a pain, I just never brought tickets for seats that close before. :)

If you're not from the area, I highly recommend stopping by Ricobene's on 26th st. Their pizza is good but the breaded steak (w/mozz. and peppers) is something that will get me plenty of thank you's in my PM box. Do it, you won't regret it.

here's a link to the joint in case you need the address.

http://www.ricobenesfamoussteaks.com/

QUOTE (chwhtsox @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
If you're not from the area, I highly recommend stopping by Ricobene's on 26th st. Their pizza is good but the breaded steak (w/mozz. and peppers) is something that will get me plenty of thank you's in my PM box. Do it, you won't regret it.

here's a link to the joint in case you need the address.

http://www.ricobenesfamoussteaks.com/

Get the king size and you won't need to eat for 2 days.

Step 1: Tailgate, if you have the means.

Step 2: Buy peanuts OUTSIDE the park.

Step 3: Buy beer BEFORE you go to your seats.

Step 4: Brat with sauerkraut

Step 5: Nachos

Step 6: Sit back, relax and strap it down.

On a related note, but not wanting to start a new thread...for those of you with kids...at what age did you bring them to their first game?

Edited by CanOfCorn

Somebody above is spot-on when they say the seats in the foul pole corners are the worst in the park. Personally I don't mind the UD one bit--I've sat in every part of it, but those seats are bad in the corners. Anywhere but there.

I'll add that in the hot weather they have the showers on the outfield concourse and misters in one of the gateways near right CF if you want to cool off.

Also, in a rain delay, go out to the ramps or the UD--everybody crams into the lower bowl concourse but you've got plenty of space up or out there.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 04:20 PM)
Step 1: Tailgate, if you have the means.

Step 2: Buy peanuts OUTSIDE the park.

Step 3: Buy beer BEFORE you go to your seats.

Step 4: Brat with sauerkraut

Step 5: Nachos

Step 6: Sit back, relax and strap it down.

On a related note, but not wanting to start a new thread...for those of you with kids...at what age did you bring them to their first game?

We'll be bringing our new daughter to her first game this year - she'll be 8 months old at that time, give or take. We're going to buy scout seats for that game, so that we have somewhere quiet and inside to take her if she loses it. I suspect we won't make it through the whole game, but, we'll see.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 04:37 PM)
We'll be bringing our new daughter to her first game this year - she'll be 8 months old at that time, give or take. We're going to buy scout seats for that game, so that we have somewhere quiet and inside to take her if she loses it. I suspect we won't make it through the whole game, but, we'll see.

My friend and I took his son to his first game last summer. He was 3 and a half...and he lost it in the third inning...he was hungry, but didn't want to admit it. But once he had a piece of pizza and we walked around a bit, he was better.

My son is a year and I'm not sure if I should try to take him to his first game or not.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
My friend and I took his son to his first game last summer. He was 3 and a half...and he lost it in the third inning...he was hungry, but didn't want to admit it. But once he had a piece of pizza and we walked around a bit, he was better.

My son is a year and I'm not sure if I should try to take him to his first game or not.

I honestly think that with a little one like ours will be, who can't walk around or get bored yet, it may be easier than with a 3 year old. But I am mentally prepared for missing most of the game for one reason or another.

Yes, Jim Beam Club is the s hit. And the secret to getting those tickets is to wait until the week you want to go to the game (assuming it's not Sox/Cubs or something) and then they'll only be $180 apiece on StubHub opposed to > $300