5/18 Games

NorthSideSox72

I like some of the pitching prospects we may see for next year - Poreda, Omogrosso, even Torres as potential starters, along with Richard if he can stabilize. Link in the bullpen. Not exactly stacked, but, a few nice arms to consider. Everyone talks about the position players, with good reason, but there are some pitchers worth watching for 2010 too.

No offense NS, but these team will suck a long time if they consider Torres or Whisler a long term option. Same with Cook. Maybe they find a way as a last man in the pen or in Cook's case a 4th or 5th outfielder but anything more and its a bad sign.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 18, 2009 -> 04:00 PM)
No offense NS, but these team will suck a long time if they consider Torres or Whisler a long term option. Same with Cook. Maybe they find a way as a last man in the pen or in Cook's case a 4th or 5th outfielder but anything more and its a bad sign.

Who said anything about Whisler or Cook?

I've said before I think Cook is being underutilized, but for pitching, I am NOT saying Whisler is some great prospect. I do think that the pitchers I mentioned are intriguing though.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 18, 2009 -> 02:03 PM)
Who said anything about Whisler or Cook?

I've said before I think Cook is being underutilized, but for pitching, I am NOT saying Whisler is some great prospect. I do think that the pitchers I mentioned are intriguing though.

And I'm saying Carlos Torres is no different than those other players. They are what they are and they might get a chance somewhere but if you plan on winning it won't be in Chicago. They might find a home with the Pirates as a 5th starter for a few seasons just logging innings and than eventually develop into a decent relief piece but they aren't anything more and if thats what we have to get excited about than I throw up at that thought.

Link is the only thing remotely passable down in AAA, maybe Cassel if he figures his stuff out but his velocity is poor since the injury (and it wasn't good to begin with) and he doesn't have enough of the other stuff to succeed, imo. Lucy isn't bad as a potential backup catcher, again, nothing more.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 18, 2009 -> 07:05 PM)
Hudson's numbers really remind me of McCarthy, for some reason. Hudson, in my opinion, is a better pitching prospect than Poreda.

I've been saying Hudson is the best starting pitching prospect we have for a while. Something about him screams no. 2 or 3 starter to me. I've only seen a little of him, but what I have seen, I really liked.