5/18 Games

NorthSideSox72

Hudson's final line:

8 IP - 5 H - 4 R - 2 ER - 0 BB - 8 K - 1 HR

Not bad. Got the L though. The 2 other unearned runs that came in were actually a result of a throwing error by Hudson.

Surprised they had him go 8 innings.

Charlotte won 4-0 against Toledo. Nothing notable here besides The Count with the CG SHO.

Birmingham lost 5-3 to West Tenn. http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...biraax_wtdaax_1

Omogrosso...oh my, 6IP, 5H, 5R, 5ER, 6BB, 4ks, ugly.

Shelby and Flowers, both 2-4 each. Both had doubles too.

Flowers and Omogrosso allowed 2 SBs.

Danks, Gartrell, Beckham...did not bring their A games tonight...

Winstom-Salem lost 4-1 to Myrtle Beach.

Only other notable besides Hudson was SS Paiml = 2-4

Kannapolis lost to Hagerstown 2-1.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...ox&did=milb

Infante took the loss, however - 7IP, 0 ER, 4 hits allowed, 3 BBs, 3Ks...not bad.

Gilmore - HR. (only one in the last 10 games, however he has 3 RBIs and 5 runs scored in the same timeframe)

QUOTE (Cali @ May 18, 2009 -> 11:25 PM)
But unlike Josh, Danks is hitting .315 and getting on base at a .394 clip...

True, Danks = .290 in AA so far, however he has only 2 hits in his last 14 ABs with 7Ks...those 7 Ks have come in Jordan's last two games played. Also he has only two walks in the last 10 games played.

The numbers tell me he may be trying too much and should just keep it simple. Get some singles Jordan, nothing wrong with that. Get on base...the rest will come in due time.

Jose pitching a CG in AAA means squat. Once he comes back up to the big club, he'll walk a few guys then s*** the bed throwing nothing but drop down fastballs that aren't even close...

QUOTE (Cali @ May 18, 2009 -> 11:31 PM)
Jose pitching a CG in AAA means squat. Once he comes back up to the big club, he'll walk a few guys then s*** the bed throwing nothing but drop down fastballs that aren't even close...

When I meant notable I should have said...."AND THAT IS WHAT THE #%$^#%$^#%$ HE SHOULD BE DOING IN THE BIGS.....THE BIG LARD Q52W34523452342345234234..."

Hudson is really really intriguing. I think the McCarthy comparison is good, but I also think he is better than Brandon at the same stage. One, he throws harder and two, he has a much better pitcher's body. Both are tall (B-Mac is a couple inches taller), but Hudson is built at 220 with a much stronger base.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 18, 2009 -> 04:13 PM)
And I'm saying Carlos Torres is no different than those other players. They are what they are and they might get a chance somewhere but if you plan on winning it won't be in Chicago. They might find a home with the Pirates as a 5th starter for a few seasons just logging innings and than eventually develop into a decent relief piece but they aren't anything more and if thats what we have to get excited about than I throw up at that thought.

Link is the only thing remotely passable down in AAA, maybe Cassel if he figures his stuff out but his velocity is poor since the injury (and it wasn't good to begin with) and he doesn't have enough of the other stuff to succeed, imo. Lucy isn't bad as a potential backup catcher, again, nothing more.

Ya know, I've done some digging today on Carlos Torres, and it only reinforces my belief that Torres is not at all like Whisler or some of these other guys in Charlotte. I like what I see. Solid starter, good control numbers (typically around 3 BB/9), good K rate around 1 an inning, solid ERA, gives up very few home runs, decent ground ball rates... what's not to like? He's got a 93 mph fastball with movement, a good slider and what was described a couple years ago as an "improving" change up.

If we need to bring a starter up to Chicago, I want this guy up.