5/19 Games

scenario

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 19, 2009 -> 07:16 PM)
Here i am. Breaking the Nirvana trend. Rooting for Kyle McCulloch.

Wasted effort. He's got bad taste in women too. I saw him in Walmart after a game shopping with his girlfriend.

Nice outing for Stephen Sauer in Kanny's 5-1 win.

6 innings; 1 run (unearned) on 4 hits; 9 K's and 0 BB's.

And Jon Gilmore went 3-4 at the plate.

Interesting to look at Sauer's strikeouts and walks... on the season... 35 K's and 1 BB in 25 innings pitched.

QUOTE (scenario @ May 19, 2009 -> 09:07 PM)

Interesting to look at Sauer's strikeouts and walks... on the season... 35 K's and 1 BB in 25 innings pitched.

What's the book on Sauer? Does his stuff stand a chance? I'd say his name does..

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 19, 2009 -> 09:41 PM)
What's the book on Sauer? Does his stuff stand a chance? I'd say his name does..

IIRC, he was drafted last year out of Florida St (In like the 13 round or something like that). I think he was their saturday starter. He was really solid for them, but nothing spectacular.

If I had to guess, I'd say he probably profiles to another no. 4 or 5 pitcher at best.

Cassel FINALLY looking like the pitcher I expected to see in Charlotte this year.

Weird to see B-Ham lose. Also, I just noticed that West Tenn's firstbaseman is named "Prettyman". Awesome.

Escobar still not doing anything with the bat - .558 OPS right now, and he's been their leadoff hitter in Kanny. I understand the guy is young and plays plus defense, but he has yet to do anything notable with the bat at all. Maybe he needs to go back down to rookie ball for another season, or repeat Kanny next year, to get his feet under him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2009 -> 08:53 AM)
Cassel FINALLY looking like the pitcher I expected to see in Charlotte this year.

Weird to see B-Ham lose. Also, I just noticed that West Tenn's firstbaseman is named "Prettyman". Awesome.

Escobar still not doing anything with the bat - .558 OPS right now, and he's been their leadoff hitter in Kanny. I understand the guy is young and plays plus defense, but he has yet to do anything notable with the bat at all. Maybe he needs to go back down to rookie ball for another season, or repeat Kanny next year, to get his feet under him.

Escobar just turned 20 in January. I'm fine with him playing the year out in Kanny. If he needs to repeat it next year for the year or just part of it so be it. But i'd say let him adjust there rather than go down to Rookie ball where he excelled already last year.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 19, 2009 -> 07:01 PM)
Jon Gilmore 9-15 his last four games. Up to .211. Good considering where he was.

No one in the org would tell you that Gilmore is seasoned, but he's got tons of raw power and the Sox love him. And I mean love him. Glad to see him getting a role cause he's got some massive power potential and is the Sox best third base prospect (note that I'm saying that strictly because I don't consider Viciedo a 3rd base prospect, rather a LF or 1B prospect). And than of course Josh Fields isn't a prospect anymore.

QUOTE (scenario @ May 19, 2009 -> 07:07 PM)

I always liked him at ASU.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 19, 2009 -> 08:07 PM)
IIRC, he was drafted last year out of Florida St (In like the 13 round or something like that). I think he was their saturday starter. He was really solid for them, but nothing spectacular.

If I had to guess, I'd say he probably profiles to another no. 4 or 5 pitcher at best.

Wasn't Sauer an ASU go or am I confusing him for someone else? I swear I've seen him pitch a couple times against the Titans.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 20, 2009 -> 06:10 AM)
Escobar just turned 20 in January. I'm fine with him playing the year out in Kanny. If he needs to repeat it next year for the year or just part of it so be it. But i'd say let him adjust there rather than go down to Rookie ball where he excelled already last year.

Escobar is in a similar spot to Gilmore. Let him play, he's still young and in Escobar's case he's got a very very nice defensive skill-set, the big question, is whether he'll be able to hit. If he can't, you might be talking about the next Pedro Lopez and thats not a knock, one of the sickest minor league combo's I've ever seen defensively involved Lopez.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 20, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)
No one in the org would tell you that Gilmore is seasoned, but he's got tons of raw power and the Sox love him. And I mean love him. Glad to see him getting a role cause he's got some massive power potential and is the Sox best third base prospect (note that I'm saying that strictly because I don't consider Viciedo a 3rd base prospect, rather a LF or 1B prospect). And than of course Josh Fields isn't a prospect anymore.

Retherford?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2009 -> 09:18 AM)
Retherford?

Reterford is a tweener but I fully believe he's got a shot to be a damn good utility player in this league. And who knows, maybe he'll hit enough to start somewhere. Gilmore though, has the ability to be an all star 3rd baseman. Still incredibly raw though and maybe only has a 5-10% chance of panning out, but still, I can't deny his potential.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 20, 2009 -> 11:09 AM)
Wasn't Sauer an ASU go or am I confusing him for someone else? I swear I've seen him pitch a couple times against the Titans.

No, you're right, he was a Sun Devil. That was my mistake. I was thinking of Ryan Strauss, who we picked 1 round ahead of Sauer.