5/27 Games

flavum

Levi Maxwell has been just terrible - huge drop off from his year in Kanny last year. As of right now, Maxwell is 0-8 with an ERA over 6, more walks than strikeouts, and batters are hitting in the .330's against him.

I'm guessing a demotion or release for him soon, with a Kanny starter being promoted.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 27, 2009 -> 12:36 PM)
Ideally, Winston-Salem will have some good offensive prospects after the draft. Right now, Morel and Marrero are carrying these guys.

Dale Mollenhauer too.

Morel, Marrero, and Mollenhauer.

The 3M Boys. :P

Fernando Hernandez blew it. 2-run homer in the 9th on a hanging curve.

Going to the bottom of the 9th. Retherford, Colina, and Price due up. If anyone gets on, Danks will be trying to extend his hitting streak to 11.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 27, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
Great outing for Dex. The guy is long, lanky, and a good prospect with a shot of being a great prospect. I would be shocked if he ever made the elite prospect range, but still, awesome to see.

I'm wondering if we'll see Dex join his friend in W-S after the draft.

I'm predicting us to be drafting a lot of college talent this year, so Kanny could be bringing in some really good players in July.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 27, 2009 -> 01:21 PM)
I'm wondering if we'll see Dex join his friend in W-S after the draft.

I'm predicting us to be drafting a lot of college talent this year, so Kanny could be bringing in some really good players in July.

I'm really interested to see if the Sox put up two straight quality drafts. They just don't have the tendency to do what they did in the last draft and while I've always been a big fan of Lauman he has had a history of making some questionable picks (ie, serious overdrafts) and in general the Sox have always been cheap in the draft.

You can point to the team not having top 10 picks, but when you look at the last 5-6 years, the Sox have historically been one of the lowest spenders throughout the draft (not just 1st round). Last year they spent more, but Beckham and Danks were a big part of that adn to be honest they had a lot of early round selections that were very cheap/over drafts and that was flat out stupid.

They hit on Hudson/Carter or at least looks that way, but the selections of O'Neil/Morel/KWJr were just atrocious for where the Sox took them. So I hope the Sox realize they need to invest a bit more heavy, especially now that they saw what having a good system can do for them (ie, havin the ability to pull off major trades) and spend a little more than they did last year (they'll need to too, since they have a few more picks in the early rounds).

I'm just afraid we'll see the Sox go with there tendencies of taking at least a few guys in the early rounds that have no business going there. That said, the thing I love about Laumann is that he is a big tools guy.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 27, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)
Kannapolis bats woke up, and Dexter Carter had a nice outing. His line scores scream raw talent.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...87&sid=t487

In 51 innings, 70 K's and 11 BB's. Nice ratio.

Seems like whatever control issues he had in college are no longer a problem.