Beckham promoted to Charlotte...

JPN366

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
Har.

He's clearly improving, I didn't say he was suddenly Mickey Mantle.

Eh, I wasn't really being sarcastic. He's producing better over his last 4 games than at any time since Podsednik was recalled. When your K rate on the season is 31.4 %, 25% is an improvement.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
COS for Fields already? Seriously?

I can understand sending him to AAA and bringing up Beckham because GB's simply doing so well and Fields isn't, but change of scenery level for him already?

Im trying as hard as I can to get around saying he is a bust. This was Fields shot, he had the job handed to him before ST was over and all he had to do was play passable defense and hit well enough that he wasnt noticed, and the hitting part just hasnt materialized yet, and the the Sox are being forced to convert their top prospect to take his place. Once Beckham takes Fields place, I really have a hard time believing he is going to be able to take it back.

QUOTE (Cali @ May 27, 2009 -> 05:12 PM)
Anyways... Gotta hope this doesn't motivate him and Gordo is stuck in Charlotte...

That may be part of the reasoning here. If Fields gets going, then you have a nice problem - too many good players at certain positions. If he fails, then Beckham is ready. You have staged Beckham for this, as well as provided further motivation for Fields to get going.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2009 -> 05:17 PM)
That may be part of the reasoning here. If Fields gets going, then you have a nice problem - too many good players at certain positions. If he fails, then Beckham is ready. You have staged Beckham for this, as well as provided further motivation for Fields to get going.

If Fields needs the Sox top prospect promoted to AAA to motivate him, there's more than a slight problem. Even though I'm not a Fields guy, I don't think motivation is his problem.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 27, 2009 -> 05:08 PM)
I really don't understand the need to "promote" Beckham to Charlotte unless they want to throw Charlotte's owners a bone. They can't be too happy with the White Sox right now.

The Sox are moving Beckham to 3rd, at least for the time being, and they can't do that in AA because they'd be blocking Viciedo. Now, they could have opted to move Viciedo up to AAA and let him play with Contreras while keeping Beck's in AA, but I think they also feel Beck's will be promoted soon anyway and Viciedo is finally getting rolling in AA so no reason to move him up too soon.

Here it is...

Gordon Beckham promoted to Triple-A Charlotte, will be in lineup Thursday

By Mark Gonzales

ANAHEIM, Calif. - White Sox infielder Gordon Beckham was promoted Wednesday night to Triple-A Charlotte and will be in the Knights' lineup on Thursday night.

Beckham, the Sox's top pick in the 2008 draft, was batting .299 with four home runs and 22 RBIs for Double-A Birmingham.

That's 5 games in a row he'll probably be playing in that will be on MiLB.tv, I suggest you guys take the opportunity to check him out in streaming video. I;m getting up early enough to watch that game tomorrow morinng.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 27, 2009 -> 07:24 PM)
The Sox are moving Beckham to 3rd, at least for the time being, and they can't do that in AA because they'd be blocking Viciedo. Now, they could have opted to move Viciedo up to AAA and let him play with Contreras while keeping Beck's in AA, but I think they also feel Beck's will be promoted soon anyway and Viciedo is finally getting rolling in AA so no reason to move him up too soon.

Viciedo seems destined to be an OF IMO.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 27, 2009 -> 06:59 PM)
Viciedo seems destined to be an OF IMO.

Maybe, but he's improved a lot defensively so I think the Sox are planning on keeping him there for the time being. Now if Beckham ultimately ends up at 3B, than Viciedo would obviously slide. Either way I expect Viciedo and Beckham in Chicago by seasons end. Of course thats because I think Viciedo will be putting up pretty monster numbers for the next month or so in AA and than get promoted to AAA.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 27, 2009 -> 07:24 PM)

That makes a lot of sense now.

If that's the case though, I really hope we get something for Josh. Josh is healthy now, but if we send him down.... even if he hits, he's going to just add another year to his age and hurt his value over the offseason. Once Beckham gets here, he's here for good. If Josh has already lost the job in the eyes of Sox management, they should be working out a deal right now and not call Beckham up until he's moved.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 27, 2009 -> 07:00 PM)
Maybe, but he's improved a lot defensively so I think the Sox are planning on keeping him there for the time being. Now if Beckham ultimately ends up at 3B, than Viciedo would obviously slide. Either way I expect Viciedo and Beckham in Chicago by seasons end. Of course thats because I think Viciedo will be putting up pretty monster numbers for the next month or so in AA and than get promoted to AAA.

I'd like to see a dramatic improvement in his K/BB ratio before we start talking about a promotion for him.

So just throwing this out there b/c i kept seeing people talk about Fields being used as trade bait, but with him heating up.. why dont we dangle Dye around for a pitcher and if we get a good offer and went through with it Ozzie could move TCQ to RF (which he primarily played in AZ) get Beckham at 3rd and move Fields to LF

Edited by LZPride08

I agree that the primary motivating factor behind this was to make Gordon Beckham into a 3rd basemen without taking time away from Viciedo. I'm still not sure i like it. Their's an arguement to be made that we should of let the Barons prospects grow together. Regardless, i don't think a promotion for Brandon Allen is far behind.