Obama.

TheBigHurt

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 10:11 PM)
Not sure what that has to do with anything.

It's an all-star game in St. Louis. All the dignitaries on the field were wearing Cardinals jackets... except Obama.

Fans didn't like it. I'm sure they were expecting him to 'respect' the home team by wearing something Cardinals related. He didn't and they booed.

Don't read more into it than that. Nobody boos the president at events like this for political reasons.

We should agree to disagree.

QUOTE (soxfan22 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 10:54 PM)
Although I'm not the biggest Obama fan, I gotta be honest it was pretty freaking sweet seeing him head out there in the Sox jacket

Same thing for me. When he came out of the dugout w/ the jacket I was like YEAH! Now I am watching his interview w/ Bob Costas.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 08:41 PM)
Nah. I'm certain it was because he wasn't wearing a Cardinals jacket while throwing out the first pitch.

They like us down there (I wore Sox stuff to a game down there last year and heard nothing but kind words), so I can almost guarantee you the booing was due to his dropping approval rating. But, keep in mind, it was definitely majority cheers he was getting (which makes sense since he still has a well plus 50 percent approval rating), and keeping politics out of things for a moment, seeing the leader of the free world in his Sox jacket was good stuff.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 05:46 PM)
That was awesome to see him in his Sox jacket... not to mention he didn't make himself look bad on the first pitch!!

Well, that wasn't exactly the most impressive pitch I've seen, but being Obama, I'm sure he threw his "change."

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 12:33 AM)
Well, that wasn't exactly the most impressive pitch I've seen, but being Obama, I'm sure he threw his "change."

Yup.

He also tried to give it everything, but came up short.

Dont hate on Obama's pitch,he's strongest sport is basketball...he's 47 and probably can take most of us to school in a pick up game.

Hey America,President Obama is a Chicago White Sox fan!!! :headbang

:gosox2:

Not sure what that has to do with anything.

It's an all-star game in St. Louis. All the dignitaries on the field were wearing Cardinals jackets... except Obama.

Fans didn't like it. I'm sure they were expecting him to 'respect' the home team by wearing something Cardinals related. He didn't and they booed.

Don't read more into it than that. Nobody boos the president at events like this for political reasons.

Cardinals fans won't boo the Sox because of our common dislike for the Cubs. It was completely political

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 05:42 AM)
Cardinals fans won't boo the Sox because of our common dislike for the Cubs. It was completely political

Give me a break. Do you really think that Cardinal fans would even remotely be thinking during politics their shining moment? It was in the midst of the introductions of the greatest Cardinal players of all time, community allstars, and the righteous hometown steroid free savior of baseball today. The last thing on their minds was, and should have been, politics. Last night was about baseball, plain and simple. A healthy boo from an anti-Chicago baseball city is all in good fun.

QUOTE (SmashROT @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 07:22 AM)
Give me a break. Do you really think that Cardinal fans would even remotely be thinking during politics their shining moment? It was in the midst of the introductions of the greatest Cardinal players of all time, community allstars, and the righteous hometown steroid free savior of baseball today. The last thing on their minds was, and should have been, politics. Last night was about baseball, plain and simple. A healthy boo from an anti-Chicago baseball city is all in good fun.

They're not an anti-Chicago baseball city, they're an anti-Cubs baseball city. I know plenty of Cardinals fans and they like White Sox fans and the White Sox -- as a matter of fact, most of them say that if the Cards can't win, they want the Sox to win.

People think about politics whenever politicians are involved, and a politician was involved, so yes...

QUOTE (SmashROT @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 08:22 AM)

There were clearly more cheers than boos but I highly doubt the boos were because of the jacket. He may be popular, but he's somewhat polarizing nonetheless.

Anyways, even though I'm not his biggest fan, it was very, very cool to see the President of the United States throw out the first pitch of the ASG wearing a Sox jacket for the world to see. Now he's just gotta get his butt to Chicago to do it too for a game some time.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 11:22 PM)
Imagine how much more he might have been booed if he were wearing a Cubs jacket. Of course, that'll never happen.

:notworthy :lol:

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 11:33 PM)

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 11:33 PM)

I know we're not supposed to discuss politics in here, but, this deserves a tip of the cap. Well done.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 09:39 AM)
Nicely done, Middle Buffalo.

Does anyone think this will have an effect on the immediate sales of White Sox merchandise and popularity of the team?

I doubt it would be a much of an impact.

QUOTE (SmashROT @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 05:22 AM)
Give me a break. Do you really think that Cardinal fans would even remotely be thinking during politics their shining moment?

Major political figures get booed everywhere. Especially ones who preside over bad economies.

I don't care much for Obama (to put it nicely), but have to say that was a class move. Since there's little to be gained politically from representing a relatively unpopular team, he appears to be a true fan. It's refreshing to see a politician do something that's unsolicited and uncontrived.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)
This has nothing to do with what I think of Obama as a politician, but I hate when I see grown men throw like girls.

You just insulted 90% of the soxtalk softball players. :lolhitting

And I'm pretty damn sure I'd throw like a girl in that setting, throwing off a mound at an all star game with 80,000 flashbulbs popping? I'd probably piss myself and then throw like a girl anyway.