Done: Matt Holliday To Cards

Chisoxfn

Stoney has been twitter about it and its been rumored a few other places. Package is believe to be built around 3B Brett Wallace (who was one of the guys the Sox were rumored to be targeting with last years draft pick which ultimately was used to select Gordon Beckham).

Holliday would provide some serious protection for Pujols and lessen the Cubs chances at the division. The Cards have also been tied to Halladay but I would be shocked if they could acquire both. Colby Rasmus would have to be the centerpiece of a Halladay deal, along with there young catching prospect and more.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 07:44 PM)
Heyman says that Wallace is projected as a 1B and obviously, St. Louis doesn't have room there.

Wallace is perfectly capable of playing third base, his ass on the other hand belongs on the right side of the infield.

This has to be the longest standing rumor in baseball. There was speculation the day after the A's acquired Holliday that they'd end up moving him to St. Louis at the deadline.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 07:47 PM)
Wallace is perfectly capable of playing third base, his ass on the other hand belongs on the right side of the infield.

He could win a batting title, he's that good of a hitter. I would keep him if I were the cards. Two ridiculous hitters at the corners is something that a team strives for.

Wallace is overhyped, IMO. He's a very good prospect, and I think he'll become a really solid hitter, but from the little I've seen of him, I don't see him becomming a perennial all-star and batting title contender like some people are hyping him up to be. Also, he's destined for 1B/DH.

The only problem with such a trade is that Holliday is a FA after the year, and Wallace is a hefty price to pay for 3/8ths of a year of Holliday and 2 draft picks. If they can sign him to an extension though, I say do it.

That lineup gets a whole lot better with Holliday in it. Only problem would be that it is right handed heavy. You'd probably like to see a left handed bat in there.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 06:23 PM)
Wallace is overhyped, IMO. He's a very good prospect, and I think he'll become a really solid hitter, but from the little I've seen of him, I don't see him becomming a perennial all-star and batting title contender like some people are hyping him up to be. Also, he's destined for 1B/DH.

The only problem with such a trade is that Holliday is a FA after the year, and Wallace is a hefty price to pay for 3/8ths of a year of Holliday and 2 draft picks. If they can sign him to an extension though, I say do it.

That lineup gets a whole lot better with Holliday in it. Only problem would be that it is right handed heavy. You'd probably like to see a left handed bat in there.

If the cards have some confidence in their drafting that's a heck of a pick load between Holliday and DeRosa.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 07:45 PM)
I dunno, any time that "Going for it all" winds up involving making 2 prospects-for-big-name-guys-about-to-be-FA trades, I'm not sure you're good enough to be going for it all.

Although...that would really hammer the Cubs's chances.

eh, the NL isn't super, especially if the Phils don't get Halladay. You get the Cards into the playoffs with Holliday and Pujols and Carpanter and Wainwright (sp?) they have as good as chance as any to make the WS, and they proved in 06, anything can happen

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 09:31 AM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ge-t...o&type=lgns

TIFWIW, Tim Brown says the Sox are quietly in pursuit of Holliday

I saw that. I think Tim Brown is an idiot but that is for another day.

I wonder what the interest is from several standpoints.

Where would he play this season?

He is a Boras guy.

Do we think he'll find his Colorado stroke in another hitter friendly park?

If he can - I'm all for getting him in the offseason at a cheap price.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 10:31 AM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4353256

Looks like this is pretty close to being done.

Seems like Oak like the 3 prospects they'll get and are a little afraid of offering arb for the picks and risk being on the hook for a potential 16m if things don't go right.

you beat me to the post by 3 minutes. lol

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 10:58 AM)
This is great. First they get DeRosa, now Holliday. What a punch in the gut for the Cubs.

However, I still think their pitching is suspect.

Is DeRosa still injured?

Supposedly, Wallace is the Cards' Gordon Beckham. 13th overall pick last year.

If they don't win anything or re-sign Holliday, it would really suck for the Cardinals.

However, this move really makes Pujols that much more dangerous. He's got another world-class NL slugger behind him.

Also a great move for my fantasy team. :)

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
Supposedly, Wallace is the Cards' Gordon Beckham. 13th overall pick last year.

If they don't win anything or re-sign Holliday, it would really suck for the Cardinals.

However, this move really makes Pujols that much more dangerous. He's got another world-class NL slugger behind him.

Also a great move for my fantasy team. :)

I like the move, sounds like the prospects were good, especially Wallace, but as I've posted before, you have arguably the best hitter in the last 20-30 years in his prime, it's worth the risk to me.

Also, if Cardinals don't resign him they can afford the risk of offering him arb and at least getting some decent picks back. Obviously a risk, but Ludwick is starting to hit, so a lineup with Pujols, Holliday, DeRosa and Ludwick is very good, especially in that division.