Is Dye being traded for Rios???

wilmot825

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 10:15 PM)
If you guys want to mock me for standing up for Jermaine Dye, by all means do so.

He is not "atrocious" or "horrendous" in the outfield. You act like every ball hit out there drops.

Jermaine Dye is a f***ing stud. You disgree with this?? Wow.

Excuse me while I pop in my World Series tape.

He really is atrocious. It's not really about dropping the ball as it is being probably the slowest OF in the game so he doesn't get to many balls and when it comes time to throw he often f***s that up with s*** positioning and mechanics. His bat is pretty damn good though.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 10:15 PM)
If you guys want to mock me for standing up for Jermaine Dye, by all means do so.

He is not "atrocious" or "horrendous" in the outfield. You act like every ball hit out there drops.

Well then, Im going to pop in my 1993 Toronto Blue Jays World Series footage and hope that Joe Carter is the starting right fielder next year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 04:15 AM)

In Dye's first four seasons with the Sox ('05 through '08) he has a combined +6.8 WAR (wins above replacement), that averages out to +1.7 WAR per season, in other words, he's been far from "studly" (there were precisely 111 players with a WAR higher than 1.7 last season).

I like Dye, he's done some great things for this club in his time here but he's by no means an irreplaceable player.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 10:23 PM)
He really is atrocious. It's not really about dropping the ball as it is being probably the slowest OF in the game so he doesn't get to many balls and when it comes time to throw he often f***s that up with s*** positioning and mechanics. His bat is pretty studly though.

I agree he is pretty bad in RF. I always call him "Ol' Cement Shoes" when I'm watching a game with my daughters and he's trying to chase down a ball slicing toward the line. And you're right about his throwing mechanics. It's painful watching him play RF day in day out without too many off days.

However, he's not "atrocious" out there in the same way guys like Adam Dunn or Josh Fields when he "played" LF are. Dye at least is pretty solid catching balls he gets to (last night was an anomoly) and every now and then he does come up with a nice play.

But I agree that if he's back with the Sox next year I want it to be as a DH and definitely not as the starting RFer. And yes, his bat has been rather studly during his White Sox tenure.

I'm done with the thread. He's not atrocious; he's just not.

I'm really enjoying my World Series DVD tonight as I sip a Bud. I especially love the part where Jermaine is hoisting his MVP trophy. Not bad for an an atrocious outfielder. Man he really sucks.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 07:39 PM)
He has a combined -74.7 UZR over the last 3 and a half seasons in RF. He's an atrocious defender. It's unfortunate that people listen to Hawk's crackpot opinions because he's wrong a large majority of the time.

This is what you originally said...

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 06:30 PM)
Lately? He's sucked basically his whole career.

Dye has NOT sucked defensively for his "whole career." You may be too young to remember this, but he was a pretty solid defensive player with the Braves and Royals. He won a freaking Gold Glove in 2000.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 09:46 PM)

I'm really enjoying my World Series DVD tonight as I sip a Bud. I especially love the part where Jermaine is hoisting his MVP trophy. Not bad for an an atrocious outfielder. Man he really sucks.

Dye's ability in the OF contributed to the White Sox's World Series title as much as Paul Konerko's speed. It's not an insult to call a blind man blind.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 10:46 PM)

He won the MVP because of defense? Dude, face it, Dye is a great hitter but is bad defensively. Bringing up his offensive prowess from 4 years ago isn't going to change that. DH-ing Dye is the right move.

Geez Greg, Dye is my favorite player, I have 2 Dye jerseys. The guy can hit. But he can't play the field for s*** unless the ball is hit within 20 feet of him or is a soft, lazy fly ball. The adjectives being used here to describe him may be a little much but they aren't that far off. The World Series has nothing to do with this.

In response to the original thread title; no it's highly unlikely that Dye is being traded for Rios. However, is it possible that there is a waiver deal in the works to move Dye to another team in order to make room for Rios? It has to be pretty clear to K.W. that this team is going to have a difficult time realizing his championship dreams with their terrible outfield defense.

Which teams would most likely be in line to make a claim on Dye, and what kind of fit might be there for a trade with them?

He has a combined -74.7 UZR over the last 3 and a half seasons in RF. He's an atrocious defender. It's unfortunate that people listen to Hawk's crackpot opinions because he's wrong a large majority of the time.

In my 50 years in baseball, he is the best fielder since Carl Yastrzemski.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 06:13 AM)
In response to the original thread title; no it's highly unlikely that Dye is being traded for Rios. However, is it possible that there is a waiver deal in the works to move Dye to another team in order to make room for Rios? It has to be pretty clear to K.W. that this team is going to have a difficult time realizing his championship dreams with their terrible outfield defense.

Which teams would most likely be in line to make a claim on Dye, and what kind of fit might be there for a trade with them?

Honestly, I thought that might be possible as well. However, it's not really in Kenny's character to move any key pieces in the midst of a pennant race. Many of the failed bids Kenny has made to acquire players at the deadline were due to the fact that the other team wanted a player that Kenny viewed as part of the puzzle. Undoubtedly, even players with somewhat superfluous roles, if viewed as part of the puzzle by Kenny, will most likely be kept.

I don't care what his UZR is. He's a f***ing stud and not an "atrocious" defender. YOu probably want us to trade Dye for Rios. You probably didn't want Dye in right field during our WS season. Give me a break please with the word "atrocious."

He may be average out there but he's not f***ing atrocious.

come on Greg. The guy has always looked like he's running through sand in the OF.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 12:31 AM)
I'm not sure if this is a serious comment or not but I'll just throw out Nate McClouth's name as a rebuttal.

Apparently you didn't watch JD during the first half of his career. I saw a lot of him when he was with the Royals and he was definitely above average in RF. He was still halfway decent in his first year with the Sox but, as is correctly stated in this thread, has lost most of his range over the past few years and looks like he's running through sand at this point.

Edited by WCSox

I wonder what definition eveyone is using on certain words. Atrocious to me would be someone who would not even receive a contract to play A ball, regardless of their offensive skills. Based on my definition, Dye is not atrocious. Based on a different definition, say, not one of the top 3 defenders in baseball, he is atrocious. But these silly debates are worthless unless definitions are established.