The What's Wrong with Rios Thread

hi8is

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question that keeps nagging me is; could he have been on PEDS during those stellar years? He's still very young, so he can't be slowing down, and he hasn't been hampered by injuries. So, what has happened to him? If he took something when PEDS were so prevelant, he certainly would have stopped after getting the security of that contract, especially with all of the negative publicity over steroids. That might explain the dramatic fall off.

Let's hope that there is another explanation, and that the problem can be corrected. If not, the Sox are going to really be hurt by both the bad contract, as well as the realization that they still have not solved the long standing problem of finding a good defensive Centerfielder who can add significant offensive production. If they are going to have to accept nothing but defense at that position, they could have just kept B. A. and saved themselves a lot of money. I'm very worried about this problem.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 12:51 PM)
so he is now our savior? :unsure: I want to him to hit also. He was always put out there a s 5 tool player and I know he was long coveted by KW. I have no problem with him being on this team, but I don't want to be paying $60M for a glove man that basically ends up being a defensive replacement.

Yes, that's exactly what I said....

/rolly

I'm just saying that next year they won't put extra pressure on him. Come in, play hard, remember there are other hitters around you and relax.

I'm just saying that next year they won't put extra pressure on him. Come in, play hard, remember there are other hitters around you and relax.

You are assuming a lot about him as a person. How do you know he's not relaxed? There were reports in Toronto that he slept before games and was lazy. How do we know he's feeling pressure? Some newspaper guy needs to do a long piece on him, or maybe I missed it.

As far as his first error and getting ripped ... has treatment of him on here been THAT bad? People are just pointing out the guy has contributed nothing during his first go round with the Sox. Is that so cruel? Nobody's been that harsh on him on this board.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
Yes, that's exactly what I said....

/rolly

So how is that any different from his situation this season? Why is he have extra pressure vis-a-vis next season? If he sucks like this for the rest of the year, wouldn't he put just as much, if not more pressure on himself next season to justify the trade and contract.

I know when there's a new guy on the team people here want to really like him. It's like getting a new toy. But excuse making masquarading as amateur sports psychology kinda sounds lame.

I think it's far more likely that his hitting mechanics are shot.

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 11:13 PM)
Most 10 year old little league players could have caught it. Brain fart error for sure... He was sleeping out there. Someone needs to wake him up.

You'd think being waived and being given away for nothing would wake you up.

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 12:21 AM)
Still getting paid though... so.

Once you get paid it doesnt end. I had this conversation with Robbie Gould hes a friend of mine. When your getting paid you're a star by contract. Stars want to succeed, they want to be cheered for, they want chics coming up to them, they want to see people wearing their jereseys, they wanted to be praised by media, fans, teammates, etc. It all feeds the ego. There is no player that says hmm I got my contract now I want to be embarassed, berrated, and chastised constantly. Athletes are athletes because they want to perform well and win. They dont want to be the guy that walks down Mich Ave having people boo and call you a bum, having good looking women tell you that u suck, and restaurants and clubs consider u a nobody You want to walk down Mich Ave and be welcomed, be wanted at the Top Restuarants, Bars, Shows, stores, wanted hot women coming up to becuase your studly at what you do. Rios doesnt want to be a scrub player, no one does.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 02:03 AM)
Once you get paid it doesnt end. I had this conversation with Robbie Gould hes a friend of mine. When your getting paid you're a star by contract. Stars want to succeed, they want to be cheered for, they want chics coming up to them, they want to see people wearing their jereseys, they wanted to be praised by media, fans, teammates, etc. It all feeds the ego. There is no player that says hmm I got my contract now I want to be embarassed, berrated, and chastised constantly. Athletes are athletes because they want to perform well and win. They dont want to be the guy that walks down Mich Ave having people boo and call you a bum, having good looking women tell you that u suck, and restaurants and clubs consider u a nobody You want to walk down Mich Ave and be welcomed, be wanted at the Top Restuarants, Bars, Shows, stores, wanted hot women coming up to becuase your studly at what you do. Rios doesnt want to be a scrub player, no one does.

Actually, I would argue that there are athletes who just want the payday, and then they will stop giving a s***.

Funny how you guys were speculating about what would happen on this board the first time he dropped a routine fly ball. That didn't take long.

I am really getting worried about this guy. His season wasn't going that well before he came to the Sox, and now it is spiraling down at a very alarming rate. He doesn't even have decent at bats. Don't you think that there must be something wrong with him? Maybe they should start by giving him another complete physical, including a thorough eye exam. If he passes both of those, maybe they should have him see a Psychiatrist.

Rios is having a problem at the plate & him dropping that ball last night may help him. Sometimes when you completely bottom out, you only have one direction to move in.(hopefully up).

I went to the game last night & sat really close to the sox dugout. Rios seems to be off in a different world. I believe he is very frustrated, but he may think to much of himself to try to help himself. He strikes me as a guy who doesn't like to ask for help until its to late. At this point in our season he is a base-stealing version of Brian Anderson.

These areas in his swing might help him salvage his year:

FEET

He needs to change his approach. He has his lead (front) foot up in some attempt to get loft on the ball.

Then he spreads and bends his legs, which is fine(you start your swing through your legs). With the squatting motion the height seems to change up on him. I would even suggest that he open up little bit & he might pull more. He would surely not swing through hittable inside pitches .

SHOULDERS & ARMS

Also he puts his shoulders somewhat back to not jam himself. However, his torso leans toward the plate & he ends up not able to get around with that long swing. At this point the only pitch he can hit good is high outside pitches. The sweet spot of the bat is only on the outside part of the plate. That & he like to swing at low pitches to often.

HANDS

Rios has like 2 or 3 hitches he has going with his hands. He should rest his hands ready for his swing like Crede used to do. However, he gets ready, then he brings his hands down to rest & relax his hands, then he puts it in his natural load spot. He should put his hands in his spot for hitting and just let the barrel rest on his back right shoulder&arm. Also I would suggest that he watch Chase Utley hit in a mirror so he can see how to simplify his swing.

In general his swing, if he tilted his body back (ala manny ramirez) he would be able to connect a lot more.

Edited by soxfan-kwman

Rios is having a problem at the plate & him dropping that ball last night may help him. Sometimes when you completely bottom out, you only have one direction to move in.(hopefully up).

I went to the game last night & sat really close to the sox dugout. Rios seems to be off in a different world. I believe he is very frustrated, but he may think to much of himself to try to help himself. He strikes me as a guy who doesn't like to ask for help until its to late. At this point in our season he is a base-stealing version of Brian Anderson.

FEET

He needs to change his approach. He has his lead (front) foot up in some attempt to get loft on the ball.

Then he spreads and bends his legs, which is fine(you start your swing through your legs). With the squatting motion the height seems to change up on him. I would even suggest that he open up little bit & he might pull more. He would surely not swing through hittable inside pitches .

SHOULDERS & ARMS

Also he puts his shoulders somewhat back to not jam himself. However, his torso leans toward the plate & he ends up not able to get around with that long swing. At this point the only pitch he can hit good is high outside pitches. The sweet spot of the bat is only on the outside part of the plate. That & he like to swing at low pitches to often.

HANDS

Rios has like 2 or 3 hitches he has going with his hands. He should rest his hands ready for his swing like Crede used to do. However, he gets ready, then he brings his hands down to rest & relax his hands, then he puts it in his natural load spot. He should put his hands in his spot for hitting and just let the barrel rest on his back right shoulder&arm. Also I would suggest that he watch Chase Utley hit in a mirror so he can see how to simplify his swing.

In general his swing, if he tilted his body back (ala manny ramirez) he would be able to connect a lot more.

replace greg walker please.

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 01:20 PM)

FEET

SHOULDERS & ARMS

HANDS

The biggest problems I see with him are that his head doesn't move with the ball, only the eyes, which can be okay if you're able to look directly down at the ball with your eyes when it's at the plate, which he can't because he's so tall. That causes a ton of huge swing and misses. His bat speed is okay and his stance, though kinda goofy for a guy that tall, is actually a smart one since it allows him to level his shoulders moreso with the plane of the ball, creates a smaller strike zone, and allows him to see the ball better coming out of the pitchers hand(eye level). If you notice, Dye does the same thing, except not as extreme. He bends his front foot inwards and his back leg inward as well. Rios though, more so sits kind of like Aaron Rowand. Both have the same idea though.

You want to walk down Mich Ave and be welcomed, be wanted at the Top Restuarants, Bars, Shows, stores, wanted hot women coming up to becuase your studly at what you do. Rios doesnt want to be a scrub player, no one does.

Maybe to a certain extent.

They already got the money and money talks. He can get all the hot women he wants with the cash he can flaunt.

Some guys lose it when they get paid (Jose Guillen). They just do.

He'll have a clean slate next spring. Nobody is going to boo him right off the bat in April unless he says or does stupid stuff ala those morons on the Cubs who act up.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 06:11 PM)
Funny how you guys were speculating about what would happen on this board the first time he dropped a routine fly ball. That didn't take long.

I am really getting worried about this guy. His season wasn't going that well before he came to the Sox, and now it is spiraling down at a very alarming rate. He doesn't even have decent at bats. Don't you think that there must be something wrong with him? Maybe they should start by giving him another complete physical, including a thorough eye exam. If he passes both of those, maybe they should have him see a Psychiatrist.

You beat me to it. I was listening on XM radio last night when he dropped that flyball. My thoughts were of Soxtalk :lol:

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 07:20 PM)

FEET

SHOULDERS & ARMS

HANDS

Interesting analysis Mr Hrniak. You are probably correct in your observations and your comments are in depth, but if this is how he always bats then messing with him might not be benficial. There are so many things he does, and all batters do, that if they get out of sync on any one they flounder. Hopefully he sees what he has been doing wrong. Farmer said on the radio that Rios has been studying old dvd's of his at bats trying to figure things out.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 10:58 AM) *

What happened to Paul Konerko in 2003?

He was hurt for pretty much the whole year. Wasn't he playing on a fractured foot or something like that?

Not that I can recall.

He hurt his foot in 2002, but in 2003 he only missed 3 games due to injury.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/players/159/Paul_Konerko/career

July 6, 2003 Missed 1 game (shoulder injury).

July 5, 2003 Shoulder injury, day-to-day.

July 2, 2003 Missed 2 games (shoulder injury).

June 30, 2003 Shoulder injury, day-to-day.

November 14, 2002 Agreed to terms with the Chicago White Sox on a three-year contract.

September 1, 2002 Missed 1 game (foot injury).

August 31, 2002 Foot injury, day-to-day.

August 30, 2002 Missed 2 games (foot injury).

August 27, 2002 Foot injury, day-to-day.

Here is an article from 2005, about the foot injuries;

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-1571297.html

TUCSON, Ariz. -- If Frank Thomas wants to kick around any ideas on playing with bad feet, Paul Konerko might have just the insight he needs.

Thomas is expected to report to spring training today to continue his rehabilitation after offseason surgery for a stress fracture in his left navicular bone. The navicular bone is above the arch and is as much a part of the foot as it is the ankle.

Konerko has played on two foot injuries over the last five seasons, playing most of the 2000 season with a hairline fracture after fouling a ball off his left foot and going the final month of the 2002 season with a stress fracture, also in his left foot.

I doubt that the foot was still a problem in 2003 (the Sox would have rested him if he was struggling that bad and hurt), he just for whatever reason lost his swing. In 2003 many people on this site wanted Konerko gone.